Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
32fordb

Default "B" Engine to my "A"

Would appreciate advice on what I might expect if I were to install Model B engine and transmission in my 1931 rolling chassis. I'm doing a ground up restoration on '31 roadster and have opportunity to buy fresh rebuilt Model B engine with transmission bolted on.
32fordb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Geo. H

Default Re: "B" Engine to my "A"

You can expect a big shift pattern--I went to '39 gears to get the pattern more reasonable. You may need to use a 31 front timing cover to bolt the model A front mount to. You will need the special rear float-a-motors, or you'll have to fabricate rear mounts. You can expect more power, and especially if the B engine has a counterbalanced crank, smoother running. I also used an A head and water pump. The B head is about 4.6 to 1.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32fordb View Post
I'm doing a ground up restoration on '31 roadster and have opportunity to buy fresh rebuilt Model B engine with transmission bolted on.
Is it really a "Restoration" if your using a B engine, transmission, and all the other parts needed to make it work?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
john charlton

I have a B engine in my cabriolet ,the engine alone is a straight bolt in job.You have to remove the flywheel housing from the B pan.Some are spot welded on others are seam welded but either are easy to remove.If you want to keep the B transmission attached then it gets more complicated.It just depends if you want to enjoy the slightly dubious synchro gears. I would not bother, the A trans is fine and generally trouble free.Sell the B trans and put the money into the rest of the restoration.With the counter weighted crank you can have some weight turned off the flywheel.I put a BF 14.9 HP flywheel on mine which is much lighter and it runs a treat.You will also need a different top hose to marry the B waterpump to the rad top tank.The conveluntant(?) type works well.

John in glorious sunny weather England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo. H View Post
You can expect a big shift pattern--I went to '39 gears to get the pattern more reasonable. You may need to use a 31 front timing cover to bolt the model A front mount to. You will need the special rear float-a-motors, or you'll have to fabricate rear mounts. You can expect more power, and especially if the B engine has a counterbalanced crank, smoother running. I also used an A head and water pump. The B head is about 4.6 to 1.
Geo,

Did you use the 15/29 or 16/28 gearset?

Thanks
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Turner

I want to do the same thing, so please keep me posted on your progress.

Here's one vendor that supplies the kits you need. If you find another vendor, please let me know.

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_sear...ngine%20Mounts
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Rowdy
BANNED

Not to be nosey, but is this the B engine at Cozad, Ne. or a different one? Just curious. Rod
Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32fordb View Post
Would appreciate advice on what I might expect if I were to install Model B engine and transmission in my 1931 rolling chassis. I'm doing a ground up restoration on '31 roadster and have opportunity to buy fresh rebuilt Model B engine with transmission bolted on.
If you are going to use a Model A distributor on the B engine you might install a Model A front timing gear cover and save all the drama of the timing problems if you use the B cover ( B cover starts the timing at 19 BTDC (crankshaft degrees) unlike the A which is 0 Degrees.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
32fordb

NO not from Cozad but here in THE STAR CITY
32fordb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Geo. H

I've built half a dozen of the trannys ('39' gears in a B case), Can't remember which gear sets for sure. I'm pretty sure the one in my roadster is the same ratios as the stock 32-35 gear sets. Email [email protected] if you have more questions.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo. H View Post
I've built half a dozen of the trannys ('39' gears in a B case), Can't remember which gear sets for sure. I'm pretty sure the one in my roadster is the same ratios as the stock 32-35 gear sets. Email [email protected] if you have more questions.
Geo,

Thanks for reply ... I am building a '39 transmission with the 16/28 gearset that has 2.80 ratio in first (vs 3.11 for A) and 1.60 (vs 1.85 for A) in second. Just wondered how that the 16/28 gearset works with the B block and 3.54s. I will find out soon.

The 32-35 gearset with spur gears in my other stock B box with 15/29 works out to 1st(3.12) 2nd(1.77).

Last edited by Benson; 07-07-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Ice man

My 29 Pk Up came with a B engine. Had all the A stuff fitted to it (head dizzy, rear flywheel housing, original motor mounts,A tranny. Still used the B front timing cover. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote