Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #81
19Fordy

Default Re: 1940 Brake Bleeding

Mike, Great news. Take photos of everything BEFORE, DURING and after you remove the brake shoes. Also, the lower adjusters ride in brass "cam" washers so make sure you clean them really well with brake cleaner. I reassemble the adjusters screws/nuts and cams with a dab of anti seize compound. If you remove them, be sure to take photos of how they are assembled. Be sure to properly reinstall the two bottom adjusters so that the little "dots" on them line up properly in order to adjust your brakes.

When you reinstall the drum, don't forget the little fiber washer/ gasket that fits under the axle nut washer. If you don't have one, make one out of a piece of leather, like from an old belt. Don't use serrated vise jaws on the emergency cable as you will fray and weaken the cable. Look at post # 6 here.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...xle+nut+washer

and here

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...rbrakeassy.jpg

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-06-2020 at 09:47 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #82
mike42

I bought a Winfield about 6 years ago and never used it. I used that to pop the drum, but it would not pull out. Once I adjusted the brakes as told to.....I just tapped lightly around the drum while pulling on it and it fell off ! I just needed to do the brake adjustment thing.

I plan on taking pictures as I looked over all the mechanisms and also drawings I got online. I think that will be a chore too !

Just got back from shop in town and they don't know if they can turn these drums. Might have to buy new, but hate to do that as there's still a lot of meat on the originals. We'll see in time, but I need to get all the shoes and cylinder out first and clean up this mess. Went through 2 cans of brake cleaner so far. I've never seen anything like this before. Gooey sludge all over the place. The shoes are soaked with fluid and oil and sludge. If I could post a photo I would, but never had any luck doing that sorry !!

Thx for all the info and I now have to start lawn clean up of leaves and acorns. Good weather here right now at 66º degrees and that's good for Northern Michigan this time off the year.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #83
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You can email me any photos you want posted: [email protected]
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #84
Kurt in NJ

Even if you buy new drums they need to be turned after put on the hub, the turning limitations are most likely they don't have a machine the rear drums fit on because the arbor on newer machines is too large to fit through the axle taper
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #85
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
If I could post a photo I would, but never had any luck doing that sorry !!
Mike
I continue to find it difficult to comprehend why it seems so hard for some folks to post pictures on this FordBarn. If you were able to post your avatar picture as below, you have the capability of posting your brake (or ANY other) pictures. If you will choose the "GO ADVANCED" window to post with, you will see the PAPER CLIP icon.....( ) at the upper, center of that window, just to the right of the white SMILEY FACE. If you can access that PAPER CLIP, posting pics on the 'Barn is a piece of cake! OR...e-mail your pics to me or JSeery and we'll post 'em for ya. Hell, we need to see all those leaves in your yard! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #86
19Fordy

Mike: You can legally "turn" stock 40 brake drums to 12.060 in. inside dia.
DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR used BRAKE SHOES as some of the reproduction shoes have the bottom adjuster holes in the correct location. Buy new shoes from a Fordbarner, if possible or a high quality parts company. Do NOT exchange your old shoes when you buy new ones! Keep them, just in case new ones are "bad". You can always turn them in later. In fact, you might want to keep them as they are becoming rare.

When all done, don't forget to adjust your emergency brake.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 11-06-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #87
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The posting problems are almost always file size.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #88
rich b

This is the reduced diameter arbor that is used on an Ammco brake lathe to turn the rear drums as compared to the standard arbor in the foreground.

I sent this picture to one fellow and he showed it to the guy at the brake shop; who it turned out had the small arbor; but didn't realize what it was for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arbors.jpg (35.9 KB, 32 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #89
Mart

If you pulled hard on the brake shoes you might have bent the retaining clips and guides. I just rebuilt some brakes and had to straighten those parts. If they are bent hopefully you will be able to just carefully tap them back straight as I was able to do.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #90
mike42

Coop......you don't want to see the leaves that fall here. I have 30 oak trees and 15 pines. All on 1.5 acres on Otsego Lake up here. It is a never ending job in the Fall.

As far as sending photos....I have used 3 cans of brake cleaner already to just see what I have here. It was packed with runny sludge, so I really can't show you now what a mess it was. The 3rd can finally got me to a point to start looking at the mechanism and what lays ahead for me. More later....thx
Old 11-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #91
mike42

Fordy .....I have not thrown anything away yet, as I could not even see what all I had until I washed it all off. Once I get it cleaned I'll be able to match the new shoes with the old. I bought the whole braking kit from C & G about 6 years ago. The fronts all seemed to match up okay. I hope the rear will be the same. Didn't have to send back as an exchange. I already threw out the fronts and didn't look to see if they had a Ford Logo on them These rears MUST be original. The car has 86,000 original miles and I'm the 3rd owner in 80 years. can you imagine that ?? Once I get things all cleaned up I plan on taking photos and disassembly piece by piece. I could NOT see the complete wheel cylinder because of the sludge build up !

Thx.....Mike
Old 11-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #92
19Fordy

Mike, All that brake cleaner will dissolve paint off backing plates, etc. Be sure to repaint
prior to reassembly. Take your time and do a super, duper job. This thread has been so long I forget if you have already removed front drums and inspected everything. If not, be sure to do so.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #93
mike42

Mart.....I didn't bend anything. As soon as I turned the adjusters it fell off while I was tapping the drum ! It surprised the hell out of me !

Mike
Old 11-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #94
mike42

Fordy .....The fronts ....I washed them also with Brake cleaner and they were pretty clean. I wiped every down after I wire brushed but didn't paint. I bought a case of brake cleaner. I may have to buy another case !!

Mike
Old 11-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #95
mike42

Rich B.......thx for that photo. They were telling me that I would have to remove the bearings and seal and have the hub pressed out before turning. I'm in the process of cleaning up the drum. It too was loaded with grease, dirt and sludge !

Thx
Old 11-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #96
mike42

Kurt....I may be buying new drums, but the meat on originals is really pretty thick. The Shop told me to save them at all costs as it is good metal and not what you buy today !!! Sound familiar ?

Thx
Old 11-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #97
mike42

Guys....thanks to all for this drama ! The drum is off and the leaves picked up for the day and in Northern Michigan it's boozing time and my buddy Jack Daniels is calling ! Just sayin'.....

Mike
Old 11-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #98
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
Coop......you don't want to see the leaves that fall here. I have 30 oak trees and 15 pines. All on 1.5 acres on Otsego Lake up here. It is a never ending job in the Fall.
Ha.....We have 2-1/4 acres here with just over 80 trees....many huge Yellow Pines, along with some Red Oaks and seven Cedar trees. We know all about pine straw and leaves in the fall. Glad you got your drum off without any further ado. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #99
mike42

Morning .... I remembered I did take one photo after I used 3 cans of brake cleaner. I'll send to your emails. Look at the sludge that is still hanging from right shoe. The whole thing was filled with sludge and crude !

I tried attaching here but I don't know what to do.

Mike
Old 11-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #100
mike42

Don't have your email addresses sorry !