Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
Walt Ebie

Default About gas filler screens

I know filler screens probably aren't really necessary to screen today's gas, so I was wondering: were they a stock part on A's? Do most guys still use them? If it was a stock part that originally came on the car I'd probably get one just for that reason. I see them advertised as a 'flame suppressor' too but don't know how much value they would have there either. Thoughts?
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: About gas filler screens

they are really a flame arrestor and should probably be used today - static discharge still does set cars on fire (modern)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Safewiz

Old 10-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #4
coupe1942

I used to have a photo of Henry Ford dipping his lit cigar into a flame arrestor to show how well they worked. Unfortunately, I lost the photo because of a computer crash and never recovered it again. Somewhere in the Agooga photo archives which are never updated fully, that photo exists.

Me, I feel most would not have them due to rusty tanks and being eliminated by previous owners over the years. This is my fourth Model A and it didn't have such just like the other three I have owned.

With modern gas pumps, I suspect these flame suppressors become a nuisance to remove each time if they hamper using the more modern gas handle or somehow slow down the gas flow when in use. Just a guess on my part as I have not had any to contend with in any of the Model A's I have owned. Interesting, but even at the many car shows I have been at this year in Ok., the Model A's I have seen do not have them in the tanks either.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
barnstuf

The screen does NOT have to be removed to put gas in the tank. My Model A's have always had the screen since new and in no way does it cause a filling the tank problem in my experience. In the time period when the Model A was new the gas station hoses were not grounded as they have been for many years now. The function of the screen was to prevent explosion (empty tank being filled) or fire (adding gas) if the tip of the nozzle made a spark as it was placed in the tank. Today having a fire is a remote possibility but I quote the old saying "It is better to be safe than sorry".
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Big hammer

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Check out service bulletins------ not a filter-----fire prevention!!!!!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
The screen does NOT have to be removed to put gas in the tank. My Model A's have always had the screen since new and in no way does it cause a filling the tank problem in my experience. In the time period when the Model A was new the gas station hoses were not grounded as they have been for many years now. The function of the screen was to prevent explosion (empty tank being filled) or fire (adding gas) if the tip of the nozzle made a spark as it was placed in the tank. Today having a fire is a remote possibility but I quote the old saying "It is better to be safe than sorry".
yup, it does happen occasionally. Modern hoses have a metal shield impregnated in the rubber that is supposed to be tied to ground so the fuel moving thru the hose doesnt build up a charge. Semi tankers often drag a strip on the road to do the same.

Thats why its best to ground yourself to the side of the pump while the other hand is touching metal of the car even before touching the pump handle as you can be a static charge and can set off a spark or the car itself can build up a charge as it drives. Im sure we have all been zapped when you get outa the car and touch the metal body or walking across carpet and touching a door knob.

Also while filling its best to keep the nozzle firmly against the metal tank hole. And when your filling portable gas cans to keep the nozzle against its rim as plastic has a tendency to build up a charge too.

Still amazes me the amount if people who leave the engine running while pumping gas or smoking while doing it....
Old 10-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
Big hammer

To add, gas cans need to be on the ground,not in the bed of a truck with liners!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #9
Chris H

The screen was missing from my car when I got it, so I added a repop. It is made of perforated steel, not a screen mesh. I don't know what the originals were made from. When I refill the tank, though, I just fill slowly. I can't set the nozzle to fill automatically, which is no problem. After all it is only going to take less than 10 gallons of gas. My only real issue is the splash back while filling. I usually cover with a paper towel to control it.

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I use mine and like it has been said fill slowly.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 AM   #11
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Mine has one but it is lying on the bottom of the tank, been there since I bought my 30 coupe back in 1957
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

i have one just in case it works. I wouldn't want a fire because I didn't have one. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #13
mhsprecher

All the ones I have seen are perforated metal, not screen. I have them on both of my As. You probably cannot fill the tank as quickly with one in place, but that is probably a good thing.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #14
CarlG

There was not one in my pickup when I bought it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
Chuck Sea/Tac

They're a great place to hide your extra keys. By the way ,Henry ford hated tabacco and alcohol.im amazed he would personally touch a cigar.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #16
700rpm

They do make filling slower, but that's better than setting your car on fire. There is a gas neck extension advertised in the back of the Restorer every issue that raises the gas nozzle so you don't have so much backflow resistance. I have one for my 29 and it works pretty well.

Disclaimer: I personally know the maker of this item, but I have no financial interest in the business.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
By the way ,Henry ford hated tabacco and alcohol.im amazed he would personally touch a cigar.
I wonder if Henry really did this, or if it's another of the countless ridiculous myths circulating about him.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
coupe1942

It was a photo of him putting out the cigar in the spark arrestor and not necessarily smoking it for enjoyment. A publicity effort, but probably had little to do with his liking cigars or tobacco products. Just something to use for dramatic effect at that moment. I don't recall just who all was standing with him in the photo at the time and their significance, but it was more than one person, I believe.

I sure wish I still had the photo, but it was one of many that got lost in my computer crash at the time. I am almost certain that I did indeed post it at Ahooga many years back, but I have never found it or many others in the random photo display that is used at that site. I was always hoping that someone besides myself had seen it, too.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I haven't blown up yet without one
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post