Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
bk53

Default fordomatic converter housing front covers

Hi,
I can't find any fordomatic converter housing front covers for my 53 f100 flathead with fordomatic. I need to fabricate them I guess. I was wondering if anyone might have pictures of some or better, drawings. Otherwise I'll just make a paper template and cut them out of steel. I've spent a good deal of time looking for these. No luck so far. On another note, I'm taking Friday off to get my rebuilt flathead started up. I'll try to get some video. Its in the truck. danged if I didn't forget to order that lower donut front engine mount. The oild one was in pretty good shape and I'll use that temporarily
I'll break this in with a stock intake and dist. and then i'll set up the bubba dist and the navarro with dual 97's. Uni-syn at the ready.
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Newc

Default Re: fordomatic converter housing front covers

Hi; I found my fordamatic parts on Ford barn. But, those fellows that are scrapping them should check the national core prices. As high as $500 for a good core. I found a good '54 core for $100, but a 400 mile drive. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Everdentaly your not talking about the starter plate. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

This is a parts layout for a Merc-O-matic but should be virtually the same.
It shows the plate with the starter hole and the access cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plate.jpg (43.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
bk53

Thanks Guys, 51, these plates are above that on either side of the v8 One old timer told me they were there to allow for bolt access to the flex plate at the converter. I found the name of them by looking in the shop manual for driopping the fordomatic trans, step 1 remove the converter housing front covers and remove the bolts to the flex plate. the holes on my truck are about the shape of a 1/4 moon. I don't think this trans was original because it uses an oil cooler in the radiator and I didn't think those came in till 55 or 56. If nothing else, like I say I'll cut some out. I hate having the ring gear exposed like that.

Thanks much.
Bill
Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
bk53

here is a picture of the drivers side you can see the converter and ring gear exposed. I would add it is all much cleaner now.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
paleot

I have a complete transmission out of a 53 customline minus the intake air scoop, you can have it all!
Tony
paleot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk53 View Post
Thanks Guys, 51, these plates are above that on either side of the v8 One old timer told me they were there to allow for bolt access to the flex plate at the converter. I found the name of them by looking in the shop manual for driopping the fordomatic trans, step 1 remove the converter housing front covers and remove the bolts to the flex plate. the holes on my truck are about the shape of a 1/4 moon. I don't think this trans was original because it uses an oil cooler in the radiator and I didn't think those came in till 55 or 56. If nothing else, like I say I'll cut some out. I hate having the ring gear exposed like that.

Thanks much.
Bill
I suspect that someone neglected to install the one piece cover plate.
It would be impossible to remove the flex plate thru that side opening as it is held on with bolts and nuts.
After removing the lower cover and the snap on cover on the bottom of the converter housing, access can be had to the nuts and bolts that hold the flex plate.
If you do come up with the correct cover, the starter has to be removed and the plate will slip up into position where it is sandwiched between the starter and housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP.jpg (49.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg sp1.jpg (73.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ap.jpg (85.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 08-09-2013 at 06:57 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
bk53

wow, Your drawing says it all I think. Thanks, I finally know what I'm looking for
on another note, the new motor is up and running. a brake job and some steering adjustment and I should be driving this thing next week. Why in the heck would anyone leave that plate off? thanks again.
I can't cut and paste but on page 265 of the ford truck 49 - 56 -1 pdf file I think this is my tranny. it follows, being water cooled that its a 56 I think a part #7779 is what I'm looking for. Also the 1/2 moon cover on the bottom is what I have. funny there is one 7779 on the auction site, but it doesn't look like the drawing. Once I pegged it as a 56, I called my buddy who is mr t-bird transmission here. He is now on the lookout for one.

Last edited by bk53; 08-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.