Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #41
1931flathead

Default Re: Putting a V8 in a model a

They got over priced cars you never get a deal from them
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #42
Corley

If you do this, prepare for some backlash by well meaning purists, who can be very vocal in their critisizm of your activity. Ask me how I know... But guess what, between my original 28 Tudor and my hot rod 29 ccpu, hands down, I have way more fun in the hot rod, and it drives way way better, stops better, and to my mnd even looks better. It is certainly way more safe than the stocker Tudor. And, I created it from a rusted out pile of parts, so I feel no guilt.

The stock A frame will be fine if you don't go crazy with power. I used a very mild Chevy 2.8 liter V6, which has enough beans for freeway cruising, but won't be breaking the frame. Stock frames are meant to flex a bit. If you go with a lot of power, you will need to box the frame, which makes it stronger, but won't let it flex. Frames that can't flex, need to be really strong, or they will break things when trying to flex, so it's sort of a threshold, where you really have to go strong when eliminating the flex.

Don't skimp on brakes, that faster speed/power has to be dealt with. If you don't weld, take some classes, and learn how to make safe welds, and get a feel for what is safe and what is not. If in doubt or inexperienced, get a knowledgable person to review all your work. It is really easy to create something unsafe if you don't know what you are doing. Safety is way more important than looks, or being cool.

I'd say if you have any doubts about your abilities, you should not go to a v8 engine without a lot of help or supervision. There is no simple bolt in upgrade without lots of other considerations. If you want more power, and don't want to upgrade the A engine, are willing to make all the changes needed to create a safe car, you might consider a v6, or different 4 cylinder engine, that allows keeping the frame pretty much stock, and minimizes the required changes to everything.

Just my humble opinion... Your car, your money, be happy, it's just a hobby after all.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #43
1931flathead

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...659757832.html

9500.00 this one
Old 08-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #44
LeroyM

Going V8 is one of the best decisions you can make on the model a. Just be aware that the V8 is just the start, there's other things that need to be changed or upgraded to. Do it right the first time and do it safely. The only thing to me that says "Model A" is the body style.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #45
Chris Haynes

On another note Cling's makes a dandy kit for putting a 1932-1939 V8 transmission into an Model A. By using that kit most of the work for the swap is done. Don't use the adapter bell housing to fits the V8 transmission to the Model A engine and set in the V8. Then fabricate front motor mounts that bolt onto the frame using the holes in the frame for the shock absorbers. This way you don't butcher your model A and you, or a subsequent owner, can easily put it back stock
PS. If you remove the V8 fuel pump tower and use an electric pump you won't need to butcher the firewall.
http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/add....asp?prod=3000
They also make a kit to add hydraulic brake master cylinder to the V8 transmission.
http://www.clingsaftermarket.com/add...=8000&subcat=1
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 08-22-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #46
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
There is a place back east called Rufus Ranch,, rufusranch.com. .
I wonder if anyone in Brainerd, MN considers it back east?
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #47
1931flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
There is a place back east called Rufus Ranch,, rufusranch.com. Its a Model A junk yard that puts together roadsters and trucks out of spare parts. Most of the cars even run. Since they are not original and restored, they look like good candidates to make hot rods out of,, anyone can even cut up an original steel body like the hot roders like to do. Its win win.
That is one I posted for 9500 a put together pile of parts
Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #48
russcochiolo

chrs- Listen to all of the thoughts/feelings that you've solicited and then go the way that makes you the happiest. Attached is a photo and the info sheet that I share when attending an event. This is what makes me happy. Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3718.jpg (57.6 KB, 52 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf not quite.pdf (28.6 KB, 50 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #49
30Murray

There is a good article in issue 77 of the Rodder's Journal about Vern Tardel's Model A-V8 conversions. That's a good place to start, then you can buy his book for more detailed information on how to do it by his method.

http://www.roddersjournal.com/shop/issue-77/
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #50
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931flathead View Post
I'm thinking that is a good $1000 start for "something", but not worth anywhere near the asking price! Personally, I'd pass on it at the $1000 price.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #51
1931flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
I'm thinking that is a good $1000 start for "something", but not worth anywhere near the asking price! Personally, I'd pass on it at the $1000 price.

you cannot buy any body from him for less then 2000.00 don't matter how rusty it is
Old 08-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #52
woodiewagon46

IF, IF, you are seriously considering putting a V8 such as a small block Chevy, in your Model A, I strongly recommend purchasing an aftermarket chassis. By time you get finished boxing the frame rails, adding crossmembers and motor mounts you will wish you did. Have you considered what transmission and rear you are going to use. What about hydraulic brakes? My recommendation is leave your car alone and purchase a hot rod. You are opening a can of very large worms.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #53
mfarley

Here me out now....

You could get a Lincoln motor...
Soup it up...
That Model A’ll look like a pup...
Have 8 cylinders and use them all...
If you add overdrive, it won’t stall...
You could use a 4-barrel carb...
Weld on dual exhaust...
I hear 4-11 gears will really get you lost...
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #54
Brian in Wheeling

I dunno, Man. I was thinking this was a forum for regular, basic model A's. The HAMB forum would be better IMHO. Sorry if I have offended.
B
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #55
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Wheeling View Post
I dunno, Man. I was thinking this was a forum for regular, basic model A's. The HAMB forum would be better IMHO. Sorry if I have offended.
B
There are clearly more posts here about stock Model A's and slightly modified ones (overdrives, synchro tranys, brake upgrades, lighting upgrades, wheel/tire changes, seat belts, safety glass, high compression heads, insert bearings, etc), but I don't think there are any rules about posting about more extensive modifications like engine swaps. If I'm wrong I'm sure the moderator will correct me.

I agree, however, that posting on the HAMB would probably get better results.

If I see a thread title that I'm not interested in, I don't open it.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #56
LeroyM

Just a note on boxing the model a frame. You really only need to box it in three places on each side. In the front where the motor mounts are, in the middle where your cross member is going to go and in the rear. The boxing plates need to be no longer then 6 inches. Install a panhard bar in the rear and you'll have no trouble with flex or sway. When you put in a cross member, F1 cross member in my case or 32 K member that others have used before; that model a frame will handle the V8's.

Again use common sense, I'm talking small block, stock or mild not a big block with 500+ horsepower.
LeroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #57
vulture

The one i built is pretty much all prewar except the exhaust headers. The flatly fits nice and i am also using the model a rearend. The flatly doesn’t have enough power to destroy the rear unless your beating the snot out of it or dumping the clutch. I had planned on driving it to the swap this weekend but life got in the way lol. This can be yours for 12. and no need to screw up another Model A

The HAMB would be a better place for hotrod questions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22789490-1A92-410C-BA65-1792804C35B2.jpg (53.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #58
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post
In your first post., you say that you don't know how. You need to carefully examine your skill set. Can you weld? Do you have a large enough space and a set of tools? You don't just stick in a V8 and call it good. Everything needs to be altered in some fashion. Brakes, suspension, possible frame boxing, steering and on and on. Don't get in over your head
This is true. Most people don't have a clue & the car ends up unfinished & sent straight to the crusher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Hot rodders are no dummies. They know that the fastest and least expensive way to get to a finished car is to start with the best one they can afford.

Hot rodders do not seek out crap in order to "save" the good stuff for restorers. If you do so, you will be among the first (and maybe not the brightest)
Actually most people i meet who call themselves 'hotrodders' are mouth breathing retards who can't even figure out how to paint a car without resorting to spray cans. Then there's the ones that are car enthusiasts, like myself, and can actually do things properly. Those kind are too rare for my personal tastes. (the trick is not to go around calling yourself a hotrodder. I myself, am a car enthusiast with a bias toward original cars. But i'd assemble a 'not original' style one from junk, and i have done so in the past.)

And as for saying that my seeking out the worse parts to save the better ones for restorers might not be the brightest move, are you calling me stupid or something? Am i really? Am i?

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #59
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post

And as for saying that my seeking out the worse parts to save the better ones for restorers might not be the brightest move, are you calling me stupid or something? Am i really? Am i?
According to your screen name you may not be stupid but...............
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #60
old Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I have been thinking about putting a V8 in my 28 roadster sometime in the future, but I don't know how to go about it and what fits. Has anybody around here done this to a 28 Roadster or similar example? I want the setup that is the easiest to put in.
I have a step by step how to do from a older mag. would share it with you if you want.
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote