Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
[email protected]

Question 48 mercury heads

I have a 48 Mercury. The passenger side head has 59A cast into it and the driver's side head has 9T then below at the center at the bottom 99T Ford USA.) Is this a truck head? Car runs fine. Is there a difference in the heads that would effect compression? Should I install a 59A head on the driver's side or just not worry about it?
Thanks!
Bill in Conn.
patbill@megahits.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
scooder

Default Re: 48 mercury heads

99T is a 239 truck head, the combustion chamber is a good chunk bigger on these, so lower compression ratio.
Best bet is to plop a 59A head on there.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Later post war cars generally have the 59AB type heads whether Ford or Mercury since they were the same engine. Prewar engines have different valve angles and can make contact in the combustion chamber if not relieved with the special tools that were available to rectify that situation back in the day. Prewar heads for 239 engines include the 99T and 29A types. These heads have value to restorers that want the original part number heads on their projects if still in good condition.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #4
40 Deluxe

As I understand it, 1945 through '48 engines were designated 59A while the heads were designated 59AB because they fit either side of the engine. Prewar heads (with the different valve angles) were different from side to side. One side was designated A and the other side B (forget which is which).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
42merc

The sky is not falling.
As you have said it runs fine. Granted , there is a difference in valve angles between early & late , but early heads on later blocks was done often without cutting the heads.
I've done it several times with no ill effects.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
rotorwrench

They started post war with the 59A-6050-A in 1945 and for a while in 1946 before making a running change to the 59A-6050-B heads (commonly refered to as 59AB). You can put the late ones on the early motors but putting the early ones on late motors is hit or miss depending on the size of the combustion chamber. It's a good idea to check before encountering the funky noises that can happen or even a bent valve or three. Many folks just used a carbide burr or vitrified grinding stone to relieve the pockets a bit. It doesn't take much. A person just has to know where.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
scooder

It's not the valve angle that's an issue here, as the man said, it's running fine. So we'll say the head clears the valves.
The big difference in chamber volume, in my opinion is an issue. So fitting a matching 59A head will increase the compression ratio on that side, more torque, more responsive and less gas, are benefits of higher compression ratio. And equal compression on both sides, makes for a better smoother engine.
That's enough reason to sort this out.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
[email protected]

Thanks for all the good input. Next month at Hershey I will look for a 59A head. Sure appreciate all the help I get at the Ford Barn!

Bill in Conn.
patbill@megahits.com is offline   Reply With Quote