Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Last edited by Jack '29 Sport Coupe; 03-24-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Jack '29 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Ross/Kzoo

Default Re: A pilots Model A Story

Interesting read.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I attempted to delete it because I decided it was too long and probably boring.
Apparently the controls for deleting are turned off.

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack '29 Sport Coupe View Post
I attempted to delete it because I decided it was too long and probably boring.
Apparently the controls for deleting are turned off.

Jack
I'd like to read the story. Can you repost it?
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I'll try, Paul-------but you have been warned, LOL.

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Paul, that post is somewhere in cyberspace, sorry. It was a long, long story about a
20 year old kid (me) who got his first model A 50 years ago and at the same time had
a passion for flying. The synopsis is that a fellow model A nut bet me that that the
1946 Aeronica Chief (65 hp Continental engine) wasn't nearly as exciting as driving the A on the California 101 freeway. Since I had done both, I offered to take him up
for a short flight so he could make an informed decision. He declined at first, but when I called him a chicken------He caved, lol. He had never been in a tail dragger
before-----or anything except a commercial jet as a passenger. I think he about
crapped his pants right after I did my 360 "drive around" at the end of the runway
to check for traffic just seconds before I pushed the throttle (wop). He never doubted again after that. I won the bet--- hamburger and a coke. I was a few months short of my 21st. birthday,so was too young at the time to drink beer! Back
in California you had to be 21 to drink back in the stone age.

Sorry guys, if this made you sleepy, blame it all on Paul.

Jack

Last edited by Jack '29 Sport Coupe; 03-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
JoeWay

Quote:
Paul, that post is somewhere in cyberspace, sorry....Back

Jack
Not at all--great story, sorry I missed the long version.

BTW, drinking age in CA is still 21.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

You're very lucky to be able to fly small planes. I've only had the good luck to go up in small planes twice. I had a 20 minute ride in the co-pilot's seat of the Ford Tri Motor and a 30 minute ride in a bi-plane that took off and landed from a corn field. Now, those were fun rides, unlike the boring rides in large commercial planes. The bi-plane was giving rides at the Little Log House threshing show near Hastings MN, but they haven't done it since. I imagine some insurance outfit shut them down.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Tom. you've flown in a couple of planes I haven't been in. I imagine they were both
a thrill! My flying days are over as I can no longer pass the medical certifcate. You
are right about the boring commercial rides----no thrill at all, unless you count the TSA pat down, lol.

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
HoarseWhisperer

One of our club members is a commercial pilot and runs a gliding club.

This is his 29 CCPU and one of his planes.

Somehow he convinced me that it would be a good idea for me to go up in a plane with no engine.

What a rush!
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Joe, I'm surprised to hear that California is still a 21 state. I left in '76, so wasn't
aware. By the way, that little Aeronca Chief I mentioned is still alive and living in
Los Banos---and just re-sold (though the AW certificate is not up to date).

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

HW, now dems da kind of toys I like!

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
pat in Santa Cruz

we have a local pilot with a Pietenpol and another with an A powered plane that is presently under restoration. Anyone who has ridden in an old car would appreciate riding in an old airlane. I was fortunate to ride in a Stearman Bi Plane dusting our mountain orchard once. Now that was a thrill!!
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Old saying about the bi-plane dusters: "If the low flying plane doesn't get you, the
dust will." The oldest plane I was ever in was a '41 Stinson. That was a thrill.

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
oldredford

I am a single engine land instrument rated pilot and No comparison to the big jets. I like flying in the fall/autumne when the color is in full season. Fly only Cessna mainly C-172.
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
Terry, NJ

Yeah I probably lost my medical in 2003 when I had my stroke. I Wanted to join the U.F.O.s (Un-something Flying Octogenarians 80 YO+) So I'm into model A's instead.
Terry

Quote:
Tom. you've flown in a couple of planes I haven't been in. I imagine they were both
a thrill! My flying days are over as I can no longer pass the medical certifcate. You
are right about the boring commercial rides----no thrill at all, unless you count the TSA pat down, lol.

Jack
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Gary/IA

Having a '47 J3 Piper Cub as a young man, I was very interested when I saw three bi-wing airplanes land at our towns little grass strip back in the 60's.

I loaded the wife and kids up and went down to investigate. The "Great American Flying Circus" was making their way across the U.S., stopping at little small town airfields and giving rides. My son and I got to take a ride in one of the planes. One of the pilots was Richard Bach the author. They told us Hugh Downs was with them also but we didn't see him at our town.

It was an experience my son and I will not forget.

Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
Paul from Maine

Quote:
I'll try, Paul-------but you have been warned, LOL.

Jack
Thanks, my 5 year old daughter and I just got back from flying our PA 28 180. We usually take the Model A to the airport, but didn't today. Did rent a a 65 horse champ in Florida twenty some years ago...it had a Model A gas gauge. No electrical system, had to hand prop that one. Keep the stories comin'. I like 'em.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
sphanna

When I learned to fly in 1957 AV gas was 32 cents a gallon and the PA-ll Cub cost $7 an hour to rent. It cost me $2.00 per hour for the instructor. 55 years later and 24,000 hours later, I still enjoy flying a friend's PA-12 since he no longer flys. Flew it today for about a 1/2 hour and best yet, He pays for the gas and I have the use of it anytime I want. Sold my Arrow when I retired. Good thing as AV gas is $5.80/gal at our little field.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Art Bjornestad

I soloed in a '39 J3. Grass field, no brakes and no tail wheel. I was a line boy and learned to drive at the airport in a '29 rpu with a Pierce Arrow sitting sideways in the bed. I would drive as fast as I could and the other guy ran the PA engine with a winch attached. We pulled up sailplanes all summer until I had to go back to school. Airport was in Half Day Illinois. Year was '49
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Airsho93

Neat story, I have been so fortunate aviation wise. I got to fly in a couple P 51 Mustangs, Actually got to fly one of them, I got to fly in a F4U Corsair, T28, Areobatics in a AT 6 Texan, Same in a Extra 300, Several more. I even got to catch a ride in the Les Shockly jet powered Truck. What a wonderful time I have had.
Airsho93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
mach0415

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphanna View Post
When I learned to fly in 1957 AV gas was 32 cents a gallon and the PA-ll Cub cost $7 an hour to rent. It cost me $2.00 per hour for the instructor. 55 years later and 24,000 hours later, I still enjoy flying a friend's PA-12 since he no longer flys. Flew it today for about a 1/2 hour and best yet, He pays for the gas and I have the use of it anytime I want. Sold my Arrow when I retired. Good thing as AV gas is $5.80/gal at our little field.
You should come to Shelby, NC. Last I checked, 100 LL AvGas was at $5.25/gal. - cheapest around these parts. My son, Curtiss, will be starting his private pilot's license training this year at the tender age of 14. He has already done pre-flight checks, taxied, taken off, flown, landed, and post-flight checks with a few of our A&P/pilot friends in a 172.

I was riding in the back seat. I was at total peace, as he seems to "know" the aircraft and is a natural. He has loved flight since he was crawling. Riding in the passenger seat when my daughter drives is a different story .

A's and planes go together.

Last edited by mach0415; 03-24-2012 at 09:19 PM.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #23
James Rogers

Damn, I was born 30 years too late. I love where I am at and I have had a great life and it goes on but, times like those told here and the pictures from the 50's and 60's make me jealous of those who lived them.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #24
montanafordman

Quote:
Paul, that post is somewhere in cyberspace, sorry. It was a long, long story about a
20 year old kid (me) who got his first model A 50 years ago and at the same time had
a passion for flying. The synopsis is that a fellow model A nut bet me that that the
1946 Aeronica Chief (65 hp Continental engine) wasn't nearly as exciting as driving the A on the California 101 freeway. Since I had done both, I offered to take him up
for a short flight so he could make an informed decision. He declined at first, but when I called him a chicken------He caved, lol. He had never been in a tail dragger
before-----or anything except a commercial jet as a passenger. I think he about
crapped his pants right after I did my 360 "drive around" at the end of the runway
to check for traffic just seconds before I pushed the throttle (wop). He never doubted again after that. I won the bet--- hamburger and a coke. I was a few months short of my 21st. birthday,so was too young at the time to drink beer! Back

Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Maine View Post
We usually take the Model A to the airport, but didn't today. Did rent a a 65 horse champ in Florida twenty some years ago...it had a Model A gas gauge. No electrical system, had to hand prop that one. Keep the stories comin'. I like 'em.
Cool stories! When I was in college (about 12 years ago) I went to a local airport with a friend/CFI to get my tailwheel endorsement and fly a 1947 Aeronca Champ (locals nicknamed it "patches" ). That was FUN! Come to think of it, I think it did have a Model A fuel guage. I remember it was an in-tank float guage that resembled the guage on my grandpa's (now my Model A). The Champ I flew did have an electrical system for the starter and (VERY) old radio and was upgraded with a 90 hp engine. The panel was very spartan though and the only flight instruments were airspeed, altimeter, VSI and a softball sized turn and slip indicator run by a venturi. A far cry from the new trainers I was accustomed to flying but I had a blast! We planned 3 flights to finish the endorsement and just before the 3rd flight the brake cable broke and I went home for the summer a few days later and didn't get a chance to fly that airplane again.

I just found a couple pictures of me with that airplane so I'll post them for fun. Here I am with "patches" back in the spring of 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul from Maine View Post
Thanks, my 5 year old daughter and I just got back from flying our PA 28 180.
Ah the good ol. PA28. I have about 822 hours in the Piper Warrior (PA 28-161) and 271 hours in the Arrow (PA 28R-201) from my primary flight training and days as a Flight Instructor at the University of North Dakota.

-Aaron
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #25
real550A

Great stories! I actually soloed on my 16th birthday at the Grand Rapids, MN. airport, two weeks before I got my driver's license. Spent the next two years with a 7ac Champion at Flying Cloud airport in MN. (N9072B)
Actually got to ride in a Funk that was powered by a Model A engine. Slow, but fun!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post
Great stories! I actually soloed on my 16th birthday at the Grand Rapids, MN. airport, two weeks before I got my driver's license. Spent the next two years with a 7ac Champion at Flying Cloud airport in MN. (N9072B)
Actually got to ride in a Funk that was powered by a Model A engine. Slow, but fun!
Cool! Flew all around MN for 7 years while in school and as a flight instructor. The picture above was in Crookston, MN. I'd love to fly a model A powered airplane someday.

Last edited by montanafordman; 03-25-2012 at 02:47 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #27
Gary/IA

I learned to fly in this Cub. The flight instructor was a crop duster who sat in the back and smoked cigars. I would have to get him out of the tavern for just about every lesson. I was young and fearless, some of the things I did then just scare the heck out of me when I think back on them. Probably a good thing that Uncle Sam drafted me and ended my flying career until I was a little older.

Last edited by Gary/IA; 03-25-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Note the wire sticking out of the gas cap, had a float on the end just like a Model A.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #28
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I'm loving all these old stories! My gas gauge on the Aeronca consisted of a wire
with a 90 degree bend at the top. It was mounted in cork stuck out on the cowl.
Ha, ha, when the wire was no longer visible you had to have a good back up plan,
and a place to land. I took a friend with me one time and all he did was stare at
the wire the whole time. When I was down to about a half tank he asked me if
I would put in a longer wire before we went up again so he wouldn't get "creeped out
quite so much!" There I go again with my windy ruminations.

Jack
Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #29
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Love that Cub, Gary! Back in the day when it was first built it could be had for
1400.00 bucks----and you got change back! I also loved your story about hauling the
instructor out of the tavern to take your flying lesson. My instructor was a WWII fighter
pilot with stress issues. One time when I didn't take my hands and feet off the controls
fast enough he blew up and screamed: DAMMIT I'M IN CHARGE OF THIS PLANE--BACK OFF!"
I backed off real quick and when we got back on the ground, I fired him as soon as he
signed off on my log book.

Jack

Last edited by Jack '29 Sport Coupe; 03-25-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
real550A

I moved recently, and haven't unpacked everything, but when I find it I'll post a pic of my Champion with a vacuum cleaner hose going from the heater outlet on a '63 Chev into the cowling on the Champ. It was the only pre-heater I could afford! I did a lot of flying when it was 0 degrees and colder.