Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
bogiediver

Default Re: Fuel Filter

jcheshire31-

Your experience with the gasket is as shown in one of the photos - covering the series of small holes - and you have no problem with fuel flow - it that what you're saying?

Just seems it would be blocked...

Thanks...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Yeah, I feel your pain on the micro filter. When I used one of those parts of the
fine mesh wound up in the carburetor. I've never had trouble with the NAPA 3039.

Jack
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
bogiediver

Can someone who is using the NAPA 3039 address my question/concern, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogiediver View Post
Can someone who is using the NAPA 3039 address my question/concern, I'd really appreciate it...

Thanks.
I see your point about the holes being covered. I'd cut the I.D. of the rim gasket a bit larger, just enough to uncover the holes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
bogiediver

Really hoping that someone who has used this filter could address my question...

Jack '29 Sport Coupe?

Someone else?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
steve s

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I feel your pain and don't mean to be rude by not answering. Clearly, I must have dealt with that same problem somehow when I used that Hastings GF-18 filter seen in my photo, but I can't for the life of me remember how.

I do think I use cork gaskets, which may be narrower. Trimming your rubber one down, as Tom suggested, should work.

Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
bobpo

One trick I've learned over the years is to "Never" get gas when the Tanker Truck is at the Station. He stirs up all the sediment at the bottom of the storage tank and some of it will end up in your tank.................
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
Steam Engine Pete

Putting a filter in the sediment bowl really defeats the purpose of the sediment bowl. The crud is supposed to settle out in the bottom of the bowl. If you use a filter in a sediment bowl in a dirty system the filter will plug since fuel has to travel through it to get to the bowl. If you want to filter fuel in a dirty system do it after the bowl where the big stuff has settled out and then allow the filter to catch the fine stuff.

A sediment bowl with a good screen at the top and no filter should be adequate for these old vehicles.

Pete
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #29
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Engine Pete View Post
Putting a filter in the sediment bowl really defeats the purpose of the sediment bowl. The crud is supposed to settle out in the bottom of the bowl. If you use a filter in a sediment bowl in a dirty system the filter will plug since fuel has to travel through it to get to the bowl. ...Pete
Not necessarily; depends on the filter. The two filters in the upper left of my photo above first shoot the gas down thru the center into the bowl. The fuel then has to turn around and go back thru the filter material right before leaving thru the ring of little holes in the top.

Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
Steam Engine Pete

Steve,
That is good to know. I always assumed the fuel went through the filter first. I will have to admit I have never tried a filter in the bowl on anything.

I did study your pictures and can see what you are saying. I could see using those but not the others.

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited by Steam Engine Pete; 01-26-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Studied pictures
Steam Engine Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #31
steve s

Smile Re: Fuel Filter

Quote:
Sorry to bring up another old thread... but did not see this addressed in any of the many threads that spoke about the NAPA 3039 filter

I have a '31 with the glass sediment bowl...

I acquired the 3039 filter and, indeed, it does fit in the glass bowl, on the shoulder very nicely.

My question has to do with the flange on the filter.

Has the hole in the center for the fuel to enter - and a series of smaller holes around the edge - presumably for the fuel to pass thru on it's way to the outlet.

The question is both versions of the bowl gasket (cork or the neoprene) cover the series of smaller holes... how does the fuel make it to the outlet

Seems like the gasket would be blocking the flow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam Engine Pete View Post
Steve,
That is good to know. I always assumed the fuel went through the filter first. I will have to admit I have never tried a filter in the bowl on anything.

I did study your pictures and can see what you are saying. I could see using those but not the others.

Thanks,
Pete
Here's a few more pictures that might help. The Hastings GF 18 I believe is the substitute for the CarPlus 86039, which, if my notes are right, was the one recommended at a seminar at the 2007 MARC meet. It looks a lot like the 33039. It also came with the skinny gasket shown, which seals but does not block the holes. It worked ok for me for a while but then started vapor blocking and had to be removed.

To answer the other question, the GF 18 has a solid bottom, so the fuel does go thru the filter material before entering the bowl, defeating the sediment bowl function as described by Pete.

However, the other two models shown are open thru the center. In case you can't make out the footstool fabric in the above photo, here's one looking at the TV thru the 3034.

BTW, the problem with the 3034 was that the center hole was too small for the neck on the sed bowl top, even though it can accomodate an entire comedian head.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 01-26-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #32
James Rogers

Quote:
Really hoping that someone who has used this filter could address my question...

Jack '29 Sport Coupe?

Someone else?

Thanks.
Jack, I don't have any experience with the filters since I don't use one, I have an indented firewall car. I can offer some insight on how the gasket works. When the bowl is tightened, the gasket is pulled into the top and the center will raise up to provide clearance for the fuel to get to the holes. This is true with the cork or neoprene gaskets. Myself, whgen I had a car with a glass bowl, I used a distributor gasket from a 390 FE motor since it is the correct diameter and has a tapered top which will compress and seal better IMHO. Mileage here will vary.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Yep, the fine mesh on those micro flters gets eaten up in no time by the gasoline additives, and little particles of the mesh wind up in the carburetor in no time. The paper filter such as a NAPA 3039 work like a charm.

Jack
Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #34
nickair

Great posts. I am talked into trying the NAPA 3039 filter.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
L.D.

I have 40 horses in the garage.
Only feed them when I want to take them out.

31 Model A Tudor 55B

Nick
nickair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #35
Mitch//pa
BANNED

here is a pic i had saved of a wix part #

Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #36
Purdy Swoft

The most important filter is a mesh stand up filter that fits in the gas cut off valve. If there is enough trash, rust, or loose varnish in the tank to cause a real problem, it will first clog the cut off valve, the engine will sputter, maybe pop and quit running. Sediment should settle to the bottom of the glass bowl if thats the type used and the pre filter in the carburetor should catch the rest. In line filters should be avoided because most are made for later cars with fuel pumps and will restrict flow in a gravity feed system. Not saying that it doesn't happen but I've never seen any filter desolve. The problem that I had with micro filters was that they would clog with micro particals that would have passed through the carburetor with NO problem. Filters are good, but too many filters will restrict flow, don't get carried away .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #37
hardtimes

How about just cleaning the gas tanks properly ? That would make most of this expense/clogging/special filter experimenting research moot..no ?
And , as to vapor lock...must be fortunate here on left coast that we don't have corn fuel...yet !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #38
Purdy Swoft

I agree and and take the time to first thoroughly clean my gas tanks. The problem will always be that when the tanks at the gas station get filled, trash at the bottom of their tanks get stirred up and the gas that we get will usually not be completely clean. In any case the stand up filter in the cut off valve is the most important filter for the model A. I even use one in my 31 tudor with the outside cut off valve, it doesn't stand up in that case but does the same job.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #39
Mitch//pa
BANNED

a fuel system does not have to be dirty to run a bowl filter.. it does no harm to the flow or operation of the car but protects it

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-19-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #40
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I agree and and take the time to first thoroughly clean my gas tanks. The problem will always be that when the tanks at the gas station get filled, trash at the bottom of their tanks get stirred up and the gas that we get will usually not be completely clean. In any case the stand up filter in the cut off valve is the most important filter for the model A. I even use one in my 31 tudor with the outside cut off valve, it doesn't stand up in that case but does the same job.
Hey Purdy,
Yeah, just for the record...I like to filter everything, but start with a clean tank ! I agree regarding the little filter on the shut off valve (in the tank) is very valuable and also use that. I also use a see thru inline filter just before my 2X2 setup. This one I use just for the reason that you stated...possible stuff from gas station. I never use a gas station while those bulk trucks are unloading for the 'stirring up stuff' possibility. My inline filter has been there for years. I inspect it each/every time before engine operation..still clear. I sympathize with corn gas users troubles...and hey they use our taxes to make the stuff !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote