Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Rusty Junk Ranch

Default Rear Garnish question-problem!

I bought this rear garnish for my 1929 Tudor. It does not fit as it is about 2 inches larger each way. I believe the tudor & coupe are the same. Is there a closed model that uses a larger frame like this? Thanks for any help!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Rear Garnish question-problem!

Rockey,

According to the Body Parts List, November 15, 1929, the Tudor Back Window Frame Assembly is A-57074 and the Standard and Special Coupe Back Window Frame Assembly is A-47068-A (for Std. and -B for Sp.)...However the Tudor, Standard and Special Coupe all take the same Back Window Glass A-47085-AR, B.

Not sure what the frame you have is for.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
quickchange

looks like 30-31 closed cab rear window frame to me . they are larger than sedan ones, 7 days to blast off.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Chuck Kuntz

Closed cab rear frame is totally different than that with rounded corners.
Chuck
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Rockey,

According to the Body Parts List, November 15, 1929, the Tudor Back Window Frame Assembly is A-57074 and the Standard and Special Coupe Back Window Frame Assembly is A-47068-A (for Std. and -B for Sp.)...However the Tudor, Standard and Special Coupe all take the same Back Window Glass A-47085-AR, B.

Not sure what the frame you have is for.

Pluck
Those part numbers apply to the wood frame "assembly" which supports the window. The moulding is referred to as a back window finish strip.

All straight windshield passenger models used the same size frame except those unique to the Murray bodies which were a different design. The '31 s/w models used used a moulding approximately 2" longer but I believe was shorter in height.

That leaves us with commercial models. As noted Closed Cabs used an entirely different design. The Deluxe Deliveries used the same size glass as passenger models. Panel Deliveries used a different design requiring four separate pieces.

Now it appears we've eliminated Model A's! Looking a little further, initially (early 1928) the back glass had square corners. About April 1928 they changed to rounded corners which required the moulding to have 1/4 round flat inserts spot welded into each corner.

SO..... that takes us to the photo. It clearly shows the early design without the inserts but too large to be Model A. With all that info I have to think it's for a 1926-27 Model T.

That was a puzzle!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Those part numbers apply to the wood frame "assembly" which supports the window. The moulding is referred to as a back window finish strip.

All straight windshield passenger models used the same size frame except those unique to the Murray bodies which were a different design. The '31 s/w models used used a moulding approximately 2" longer but I believe was shorter in height.

That leaves us with commercial models. As noted Closed Cabs used an entirely different design. The Deluxe Deliveries used the same size glass as passenger models. Panel Deliveries used a different design requiring four separate pieces.

Now it appears we've eliminated Model A's! Looking a little further, initially (early 1928) the back glass had square corners. About April 1928 they changed to rounded corners which required the moulding to have 1/4 round flat inserts spot welded into each corner.

SO..... that takes us to the photo. It clearly shows the early design without the inserts but too large to be Model A. With all that info I have to think it's for a 1926-27 Model T.

That was a puzzle!

AHHA...Thank you Marco for that correction and clairification!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
quickchange

You are right Chuck , i never looked at the corners as pic more than filled my screen, to busy trying to look through the glass at the background,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
Rusty Junk Ranch

Thank you guys for the help, anyone need a T rear garnish?
The holes are very close to my coupe & sedan. Maybe I will cut it down!