Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default 56 Ford SD Door Removal

I am in the process of removing my doors so I can clean up and prime them as there is no way to get to the front part. Anyway I can see how to remove the hinges but the stop I cannot see a way to remove it other then grinding off the pin. Is there a way to remove this somehow? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (48.5 KB, 11 views)
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 56 Ford SD Door Removal

Those pins can be tough to get out. I drilled into the bottom of the center of the pins about 1/4" deep, then used vice-grips to "crush" the sides of the bottom of the pin. You may end up with small spots where the metal is still sticking out and preventing them from being removed. In that case, keep turning the pin and try to crush the high spots. Also, you could try to file the high spots down.
I do not recommend using a punch and hammer to remove the pin. The shock can break the spot-weld where the bracket is fastened to the door jamb.
I also suggest removing pins first, before loosening door bolts.
Replacement pins with snap-in keepers are available at many resto parts suppliers.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
56sedandelivery

Thanks
Another question is it better to unbolt from the door or from the frame. The frame seems easier to get to but may be harder to realign later.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
paul2748

If you have a dremel or similar tool, grind the head off the pin. While I am no sure that the size is the same, the TBird dealers have a replacement door pin that looks like stock on he top and on the bottom is held by a c-clip
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
frank long island

remove them from the door the adjustment will be front to back top to bottom also you can drill an 1/8th inch hole through both and keep the alignment you have now when you replace the door using a small punch or drill bit a floor jack will also assist you they are heavy
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

Not sure how far you are going with your project, but the way I did both my cars, they were completely dis-assembled of every nut, bolt and washer so that everything could be cleaned down to bare metal and re-finished. If you want to accomplish that, it doesn't matter if you pull the doors off with their hinges or if you pull the doors off of the hinges still mounted on the jamb, then later pull the hinges off the jamb. Either way, the hinges are going to stand alone to get a complete cleaning, including on the hidden surfaces.
It may be easier to unbolt the door from the hinges to remove the door, then unbolt the hinges from the jamb. Each hinge has three bolts attaching it to the jamb. The middle bolt is in the middle so you will need 1/2", 6-point socket and long extension bar for the middle bolt.
I did not drill alignment holes since my hinges were so messed up to begin with, I needed to rebuild the hinges and start from scratch. But adjustment of the doors can be discussed in another thread.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
56sedandelivery

Dave
This is not a body off total resto in any sense of the word. Lol. I just want to be able to get to the door edges and frame where the door attaches to get all the old paint off to repaint it. Looks impossible to do without out removing the doors. So will go with removing from the door side of hinge and since they align perfect now will try the drill a hole trick also. Thanks all.