Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #21
Talkwrench

Default Re: Timken Throw out bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Timken has plants in the US too. And they globally source as well.
They have one OE (hub) contract on Ford trucks and have pretty much gotten out of the OE automotive business. They are a huge (auto) aftermarket supplier, if not the largest, that I am aware of and a formidable competitor.
If you have information on where these plants are in the U.S.A. I'd love to know.. Are they MANUFACTURING plants?
Old 03-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #22
Talkwrench

" However, in order to minimize any defective bearings reaching our customers, we inspect and test rotate EVERY SINGLE BEARING before it is allowed to go out the door to a customer."
This is what a good retailer does.. Well done to you Mac.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #23
Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
That's what I have. I'm about the put the trans in and on the fence on whether to use it or not. Bought it years ago at a swap.
I wouldn't be afraid of using it, but I don't want to jinx the operation by saying that.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #24
35fordtn

It's simple.... Just take heed in the advice Mac VanPelt has offered. If there is a problem, you can most always feel it with your hands.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #25
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
We’ve been stocking and selling the National brand 2065 release bearings for years. Up until about a year and a half ago, they were packaged in a Federal Mogul brand box. They’re the same bearing of course. The production of these was moved to a FM/Timken plant in Mexico several years ago. They were and still are the best quality option for release bearings from new production.

We’ve discovered that there seem to be some production issues with the product. About one out of every ten bearings in our orders was excessively tight or felt a bit “notchy” when you rotated the bearing. The issue remains but the percentage of defective bearings has dropped thankfully. However, in order to minimize any defective bearings reaching our customers, we inspect and test rotate EVERY SINGLE BEARING before it is allowed to go out the door to a customer.
Hey Mac,
I've got several different TO bearings , new.
Ive found that there IS a difference to the feel of one from another and wondered...WHY ?
Only thing that comes to mind, is the TYPE OF GREASE and THE GREASE PACKING process used...and how OLD is grease. Whereas, one will spin 'too easily', another will turn with resistance.
Must be a difference in preference of grade of grease used, IMO, or whether packed right with enough grease at all !

Some time back on this site/subject, one of the older experience guys showed a process whereby he re-packed old and / or loose feeling TO bearings. As long as they did not show signs of being worn...i.e.- dirt, noises, etc,
I've used his method on the NEW loose TO bearing and it worked.
As to what lube a guy used, that would be your choice.
Mac, do you know of this 'fix' or have you ever used it?

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-13-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: .......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #26
hardtimes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNotes View Post
I have a few NOS throw out bearings. Is there any risk that the grease has aged and got too stiff in them?
Good question for discussion ! I say YES, grease does harden (degrade)
with time.

Any petrochemical experts here to give their input ?
Old 03-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #27
RobR'35

The older bearings would have a cosmoline packed or smeared on the bearings, races, what have you.
It needs to be cleaned off. Using mineral spirits, break clean...... Then repack the bearings.
Newer bearings seem to have an oil type preservative to prevent rust. I tend to clean it off and repack with your choice of grease.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #28
Mac VP

I don’t know what specific grease is used in the current National brand release bearings. I can’t say that I’ve had a new release bearing that ever felt loose out of the box. They all feel snug and full of whatever grease it is that they use......except the random defective. Those were clearly too tight and could barely be turned by my hand.

The tip for refilling/repacking a release bearing came from our good friend Rumbleseat (the late Paul Garrigan) who wrote out his procedure in the “tips” notes from years ago. I respect his experience and knowledge about all things flathead, but he and I disagreed on this one. If you were trying to repack a new bearing, by drilling a little hole in the side to inject more grease, you were going to most likely introduce small particles of metal shavings inside the bearing no matter how carefully tried to capture them from the drilling process.

Then assuming you were successful in this operation, on a used bearing that has become loose or is rattling, how much life have you really added to the worn bearing by simply adding grease.....regardless of how wonderful the new lubricant is.

Given that getting access to the release bearing on our old Fords with enclosed drive lines is a very involved process, I could never justify “rehabbing “ a used bearing for its continued usage.

Let’s drift back to the little hole that was drilled into the bearing shell.....and allow for the strong possibility that some bits of steel fell into the bearing during that process. How long do you think the bearing will last?

As for using an NOS release bearing that was manufactured 10, 20, 30 or more years ago, I suspect the original grease may have hardened enough to question its use today. Plus these are essentially sealed bearings without any means of flushing and refilling them. Any of the very old NOS or NORS release bearings I’ve handled were nearly impossible to rotate by hand.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #29
russcc

I not sure it was noted, but Aetna throwout bearings are made in USA. I have spoken with the company in the last few years, but don't recall where they are in the Midwest. I got the Aetna bearing from Fort Wayne clutch.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #30
Tim Ayers

Related question. How is the bearing installed on the hub?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #31
Mac VP

The shiny surface (which has the machined flat face) is the side that faces the clutch. The bearing slides on by hand most of the way. The last 1/8” of travel is a light press fit. We use our shop press but you could do it in a bench vise if you blocked it into place adequately. The lip of the carrier hub will protrude through the other side of the bearing slightly when fully installed so allow for it to clear the bearing when pressing them together.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #32
Tim Ayers

Quote:
The shiny surface (which has the machined flat face) is the side that faces the clutch. The bearing slides on by hand most of the way. The last 1/8” of travel is a light press fit. We use our shop press but you could do it in a bench vise if you blocked it into place adequately. The lip of the carrier hub will protrude through the other side of the bearing slightly when fully installed so allow for it to clear the bearing when pressing them together.
Thanks, Mac. I should have been more clear in that how is pressed onto the hub. Makes sense.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:59 PM   #33
hardtimes

Quote:
"Rumbleseat"....thanks Mac !
I felt lucky just remembering that HE told the story/process, Ha !!

BTW, your stated position makes best sense regarding TOB.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #34
35ragtop

Another small thing that I found out the hard way, - make very sure that the bearing is pressed on all the way and bedded down squarely with the casting. If it is slightly off square and not all the way on, you will get clutch shudder for sure, as it will engage the fingers unevenly.
Dave
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #35
JM 35 Sedan

Great info thread on TO bearings. BTT for those who may have previously missed this.

*NOTE: Link to another post on same subject:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279017

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-08-2020 at 08:16 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #36
deuce lover

Here are some NORS on EBAY.Although I don't need one would these be risky to use?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Clutch-...A/303518719628
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #37
philipswanson

Timken moved to China several years ago. Their US plant closed.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote