Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
ursus

Default Front Wheel Cylinders

I'm replacing my older mechanical brakes with hydraulics from a 1940 Ford. The original front wheel cylinders are rusted out and are of the '39 -'42 type with 1.25 inch bores. I was told that I could improve the braking by installing the '46 - '48 front cylinders that have a larger 1.375 inch bore. Any thoughts about whether or not this change would be an improvement? All other parts of the braking system are stock 1940 Ford. Thanks!
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Front Wheel Cylinders

I might be wrong but I think only the larger bore cylinders are available now. They were Fords upgrade for the heavier cars, so yes, they can give an improvement.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
rbone

Napa sells new ones for the front. part numbers 8264 and 8265. They are step wheel cylinders, 1 by 1&3/8. Rear ones are 8266 and 8267. They are 1 by 1&1/8. They have some that are 1 by 1&1/4 as well.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
russcc

Mart is correct as I just went through this. Only the 1 3/8" bore front cylinders are available. I believe the are all imported, but compare the prices.
NAPA, wheel cylinder about $17.00, Joe's about $39.00, and Raybestos, WC8264 FL, and WC 8265 FR sold by Rock Auto about $69.00 ea. Is that a message about the quality of the products offered by NAPA, etc. What I do know is Raybestos, (Brake Parts, Inc.), has invested in major mfg. plants in China and Taiwan. They are staffed with Mfg. engineers and quality control staffs. If you go on Raybestos web site they have a complete list of the brake parts that fit the EV8 cars, F1s and and later Fords. From master cylinders, to wheels cylinders, brake hoses and rebuild kits. Most of the products are sold by Rock Auto. They may cost more, but that would be my first choice when I run out of usable NOS stuff.
NAPA wheel cylinders are sold under their name, and are "United Brake" product. Compare the price of the NAPA wheel cylinder with that of the Rayhestos ones that Rock Auto sells.
Is there something wrong here.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #5
Automotive Stud

I just got a quote from Napa this morning, $76.99 each for the 8264 & 8265. Not sure where you found them for $17. Cheapest I've seen was on ebay for about $25 each. They probably all come out of the same factory in China no matter where you buy them.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
rbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
I just got a quote from Napa this morning, $76.99 each for the 8264 & 8265. Not sure where you found them for $17. Cheapest I've seen was on ebay for about $25 each. They probably all come out of the same factory in China no matter where you buy them.
Correct. I've never seen them for $17. Maybe the rebuild kits? But not a new cylinder. They do have a 20% off online deal right now if you buy three items.

I also looked at the boxes and they are made in China though.

On RockAuto, the Raybestos ones are similarly priced when you include shipping. On their photos, one shows a made in USA stamp and the other 3 do not. Curious to know if they are all now made overseas.

In general, I have had very good experiences at NAPA. If I ever need to return something for a replacement, I just take it back to the store and they get me a new one. No hassles.

Last edited by rbone; 07-11-2020 at 10:18 AM.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbone View Post
On RockAuto, the Raybestos ones are similarly priced when you include shipping. On their photos, one shows a made in USA stamp and the other 3 do not. Curious to know if they are all now made overseas.
No idea on the wheel cylinder, but a lot of the RockAuto parts I have purchased are old stock. The boxes often look like they have been on the shelf somewhere for a long time! Been very pleased with these purchases, all USA old stock.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

I would also call Kanter. I believe they were advertising they have still have some US made ones.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 07-11-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #9
tubman

I have had similar experiences a "JSeery". It seems Rock Auto has been buying up all of the old Auto Parts stores and distributors over the last few years and have picked up a lot of old parts. I have been amazed at some of the stuff they have and they are my first choice for mechanical parts. They have also been a good source for mechanical parts for my '67 Corvette.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #10
35fordtn

Your are not going to find 38/48 wheel cylinders made In the US “new” I promise. I personally on my 40 coupe tried all 11 of the different manufacturers of wheel cylinders available at the time to determine what we wished to sell. Raybestos ranked near the bottom. At the time when I did this test one brand was US made and dimwit ranked last. I took each apart and inspected the casting, thread, and bore.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
Juergen

Old is not necessarily good when it comes to rubber. I bought some fan belts from Rock Auto for my modern 77 Dodge pickup. The power steering lasted one year while the generator lasted 2 years. How good would original 1940 Ford brake cylinder cups be?
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #12
35fordtn

A good option is to have originals rebuilt ans stainless steel sleeved, but that is very $$$
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #13
russcc

That was interesting to find out that there were 11 different manufacturers when I thought there was only one left, Brake Parts, Inc., with there plants in Asia. Curious to see if Mike found out if there was any difference between the 11 Mfgs. he looked at. If you look at Raybestos wen site, the have the MC, WC's, hoses & kits. If look at Wagner's site, they only list the MC, with the same part # as Raybestos, and NAPA.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
alanwoodieman

I purchased four wheel cylinders from Auto Zone a few years back for a 40 sedan , 3 where from Israel, one from Italy but all boxed alike
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote