Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
Mart

Default Mart's Update: 1932 Ford Sedan Project Pt3. Frame paint. Crossmember fit. Rich's F1.

Hello! Welcome to another exciting video from Mart's Garage. It's time to clean up the 1932 Ford frame and slap some paint on it. We also need to check that Richard hasn't been slacking on the F1. Lastly I custom fit some bolts to bolt the front crossmember in.
You might see from the intro that things have moved on a bit. All will be covered in future episodes. Thanks for watching.
Mart.

https://youtu.be/jA0Gs7Gxsxw
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Mart's Update: 1932 Ford Sedan Project Pt3. Frame paint. Crossmember fit. Rich's

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Richard's 8BA block. Is that amount of damage usual or out of the ordinary?

Mart.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
ursus

Default Re: Mart's Update: 1932 Ford Sedan Project Pt3. Frame paint. Crossmember fit. Rich's

Interesting bit of work from Mart! I am doing much the same with an earlier crossmember that had been installed by a previous owner using carriage bolts (coach bolts in UK?) that were modified in the same manner as shown by Mart.

I am curious about the grade of bolt recommended as replacement for the original rivets. The stuff I pulled from my frame appear to be only US Grade 2 metallurgy. is that sufficient?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Step-down

Think that crack is frozen block crack
Old 07-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Interesting bit of work from Mart! I am doing much the same with an earlier crossmember that had been installed by a previous owner using carriage bolts (coach bolts in UK?) that were modified in the same manner as shown by Mart.

I am curious about the grade of bolt recommended as replacement for the original rivets. The stuff I pulled from my frame appear to be only US Grade 2 metallurgy. is that sufficient?
Ursus, Your comment has set me thinking. I think they are not sufficient grade. I have found some that are 8.8 grade (standard high tensile). I just ordered some so will modify them and swap them in. I'll feel a bit happier myself then.

Unless I'm doing it wrong, looking up various spec sheets and conversion charts, metric grade 8.8 appears to be somewhere between grade 5 and grade 8, towards the grade 5 end.

Mart.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
Fordestes

The block is no doubt a freeze crack, is it cracked anywhere else ?
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #7
Black Fifty

Speaking of pan rail cracks, did the 59 AB that you put in your pickup hold up alright?

Mike
Black Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Richard's 8BA block. Is that amount of damage usual or out of the ordinary?

Mart.
This is probably pointless to say.......if we only lived closer, I give him one....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote