Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
funrunr

Default another barn find

Well, this isn't a 32-53 but I feel more at home here. I just picked up this little Model A. My garages and now my storage barn are "overfull" I don't know if I will keep it but thought I would share with you guys the eye candy effect. It is all original looking down to the original flat head screws holding the front fenders on. I'm not real familiar with Model A's but I'm really liking it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0348.jpg (55.2 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (42.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0342.jpg (20.2 KB, 270 views)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #2
chap52

Default Re: another barn find

Great find. Go to the Model A forum on this site for LOTS of info and support.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
jimTN

Looks like a nice 31
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
Sid the Maineiac

Nice !! They are still out there! Great find !
Sid the Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

The model A's are very cool little Fords and those four bangers can be built to run. I've always had thoughts of owning one, but it just never happened....so far. I'd keep that baby and have some fun driving it around.
Maybe Seth will chime in with his thoughts. He has a nice one pictured in his avatar .

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #6
tomkowal

nice to see another being saved
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
corvette8n

Nice find, could be an AV8 candidate.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Vanspeed

Dang Mark, where did you find that!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
Tim Ayers

My father just picked up a nice older restored '31 Coupe as well. I was surprised how well that 4 banger pulled. I had four people in the car (me, my dad and my two boys in the rumble) and that little motor pulled the car up a really steep hill in 3rd. It was lugging toward the top, but it did it. It surprised the heck out of me.

It was neat driving it, mechanical brakes and all.

Car starts right up and doesn't smoke so the engine in his car is a tight little unit.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-07-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #10
RobR'35

Great find! That'll be fun to tinker with.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
TJ

Model A's can be a lot of fun. I've had several over the years. Just finished helping a friend do some work on one he got from his brother. He's a "newbie" to A's, so he's learning and having fun.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
The model A's are very cool little Fords and those four bangers can be built to run. I've always had thoughts of owning one, but it just never happened....so far. I'd keep that baby and have some fun driving it around.
Maybe Seth will chime in with his thoughts. He has a nice one pictured in his avatar .
Well I cut my early Ford teeth on the model A's. They are great cars and for driving around town, they can't be beat. They don't suffer from any overheating issues. Their limiting factors for long distance touring are interior room and over all speed. I can cruise at 50 mph nicely. I have had mine up to 65 but she is wound tight.

The car Funrunr picked up is a '31 standard coupe. The painted upper grill shell insert designates it as a 1931. It has a rumble seat but that most likely has been added long after the car was new. The passenger side tail light is also an after market addition. Get it running and driving, see how you like it.

John, perhaps you need to get into my 1931 Model A Victoria as pictured in my avatar? She'd be out of place at a V8 meet though. I'd sure let you drive it around any day John.

Last edited by Seth Swoboda; 02-07-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
funrunr

Found it here in Michigan, here is a pick of the grille she'll. Seth, is it possible it is a deluxe with a changed grill shell? Are there any other ways to determine deluxe or standard.
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0343.jpg (19.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 02-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrunr View Post
Found it here in Michigan, here is a pick of the grille she'll. Seth, is it possible it is a deluxe with a changed grill shell? Are there any other ways to determine deluxe or standard.
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
If it were a DeLuxe it would have cowl lights. You'rs does not appear to have cowl lights. Look on the side of the cowl for two small holes about the size of a dime just below the gas tank and near the cowl band. Or look to see if they were there and filled in. All 1931 Model A's had the painted upper grille shell, body color.

I really believe you have a standard coupe. That's actually good news. Over the years many standard coupes have been made into DeLuxe coupes that finding a coupe dressed in standard is becoming unique.

If it were mine and I were to keep it to restore, I would remove the rumble seat and put it back as a trunk lid. The rumble seat, while a fun novelty, is impractical and you will find the trunk space more useful.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
funrunr

Thank you for the tips, I will take more pics when I get home today. The rumble lid is rotted along the bottom and will need to be repaired or replaced anyway.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #16
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Thank you for the tips, I will take more pics when I get home today. The rumble lid is rotted along the bottom and will need to be repaired or replaced anyway.
Hey, if you need any more Model A advise or even parts let me know. I have access to a good supply of chassis, engine and transmission parts. As I said you'll find the leg room in that model A a little scarce but they are fun to drive especially in town or along rural roads. After all these cars were designed for the unimproved rural roads of 1930's America. They sit high off the ground and the narrow tires facilitate the dirt roads of the depression era.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #17
mhsprecher

I have two Model As and I love them. Simple as dirt and a ton of fun. They can overheat due to plugged radiators and the like. Two great clubs and a lot of good chapters.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #18
DD931

I suspect that many FordBarners cut their teeth on a Model A. My first car (I was 15) was a '30 pickup. Then a '31 Town sedan, then a '30 tudor....
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #19
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
I suspect that many FordBarners cut their teeth on a Model A. My first car (I was 15) was a '30 pickup. Then a '31 Town sedan, then a '30 tudor....
When I say cut my teeth, I was 18 years old. I'm now 36. I don't have the actual experience of owning one for a means of transportation. I'm sort of a "rookie" among the guys here.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #20
CarlG

I was 14 when I got my first Model A.

I let 50 years go by without one, have had this one (my avitar) now for 7 years.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #21
rotorwrench

The old 200 cid banger has plenty of torque for a 40 HP motor. I could easily get my 29 up to 55 MPH and more but the old 2-tooth steering box from a later 1930 car was worn pretty bad so I didn't push it unless I had to. She would start barfing coolant out the cap if I pushed it too hard anyway. I might do something with the motor again one day but the next motor going in is a V8.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #22
funrunr

Well, with the help of Seth, I'm thinking this is a 31 Deluxe. It is missing the cowl
Lights and perhaps a mirror (on left side A-pillar)
I have 4 project cars and two drivers, I'm hoping one of them sell before this Model A but time will tell. I told my wife I would buy it and list two of them to see which one goes first.
The other is a 62 Tempest Lemans convertable (another unmolested survivor) anyway here are a couple pics and I will list it for sale on the "A" site and the Tempest on the HAMB. Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Pictures show the holes for cowl lights and holes on the pillar for ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0367.jpg (11.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0369.jpg (10.7 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by funrunr; 02-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.
funrunr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
DD931

I should have mentioned that I was 15 in 1956.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #24
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Well, with the he help of Seth, I'm thinking this is a 31 Deluxe. It is missing the cowl
Lights and perhaps a mirror (on left side A-pillar)
I have 4 project cars and two drivers, I'm hoping one of them sell before this Model A but time will tell. I told my wife I would buy it and list two of them to see which one goes first.
The other is a 62 Tempest Lemans convertable (another unmolested survivor) anyway here are a couple pics and I will list it for sale on the "A" site and the Tempest on the HAMB. Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Pictures show the holes for cowl lights and holes on the pillar for ?
Looks like it was a DeLuxe indeed, provided the holes near the cowl band are factory. If not who discerns?

The hole in the "a" pillar could have been from a spotlight, a popular accessory even for a Model A.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Well I cut my early Ford teeth on the model A's. They are great cars and for driving around town, they can't be beat. They don't suffer from any overheating issues. Their limiting factors for long distance touring are interior room and over all speed. I can cruise at 50 mph nicely. I have had mine up to 65 but she is wound tight.

The car Funrunr picked up is a '31 standard coupe. The painted upper grill shell insert designates it as a 1931. It has a rumble seat but that most likely has been added long after the car was new. The passenger side tail light is also an after market addition. Get it running and driving, see how you like it.

John, perhaps you need to get into my 1931 Model A Victoria as pictured in my avatar? She'd be out of place at a V8 meet though. I'd sure let you drive it around any day John.
Seth, I'm thinking many V8ers are also fans of the Model A, although some may prefer they have a flathead V8 rather than the original 4 banger.
I might be wrong, but thinking a Model A would fit in the Display Class at an EFV8 C/A National Meet.
Thanks for the offer to let me drive your Model A.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote