Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Joe/Ct

Default Black Paint

I am painting a Model A frame, a sediment bowl and also engine splash pans. The references state that they are black. The question is: What type of black, flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss? I believe the frame is supposed to be flat, and the bowl and splash pans a semi-gloss. Is this correct?
Joe/Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Black Paint

I used Pactra Areo-Gloss 63 Jet Black for my sediment bowl and carb. Gloss black for the splash pans and the frame a bit flatter. Check out Marco's website for the amount of shine on his Roadster frame.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 05-17-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe/Ct View Post
I am painting a Model A frame, a sediment bowl and also engine splash pans. The references state that they are black. The question is: What type of black, flat, satin, semi-gloss or gloss? I believe the frame is supposed to be flat, and the bowl and splash pans a semi-gloss. Is this correct?
Two places come to mind Plucks reference on the MARC site and Marcos website.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Ahhhhhh...the ole "Black is Black"...Not.

The "sheen" on the frame should be a Moderate Gloss as the frames were "sprayed". Not sure of Lacquer or Enamel but have seen references to "pryrolixin" in the liteture which is lacquer.

The engine splash pans were sprayed or dipped with Black Enamel so the "sheen" would be either Moderate Gloss (sprayed) or Very Glossy (dipped).

The sediment bulb was a Dull Black and Tom's reference is aq good choice.

I think my references to the "Black" issue are on both the MARC and MAFCA websites and were researched by using the MARC/MAFCA Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards, and the MAFCA Paint and finish Guide for which I suggest you get both.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Steve Ciccalone

Originally, the large running gear parts were sprayed with a nitrocellulous laquer and the smaller parts dipped in black enamel. The laquer had moderate shine but was not reflective. If you are trying to be reasonably correct, you want to achieve this contrast. I don't have a recommendation for modern products but I will be doing a chassis for fine point with nitro laquer and Dulux enamel.
Steve Ciccalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Kevin in NJ

The frame was sprayed with one type of semi gloss.

Other parts that would not dip well were sprayed with another type of paint. Like the steering box I believe was painted together by spray.

The running board brackets were dip painted gloss and attached to the frame on the line so the rivets would be natural.

Fenders and splash aprons were dipped painted in gloss black enamel. I think there are some pictures of the parts hanging on the dip line. The frame could not be dip painted as the frame could not drain properly.

The carb used a japan black paint which was a different chemistry then the enamels.

I believe Marco has the list of finishes on his website. It is covered in detail in the paint handbook. It is complex to get all the parts staged properly to get a accurate factory look. From a hobbyists point of you have to have to have a variety of paints on hand and be real good at putting them on the parts. Semi gloss can not be just fixed, you have to repaint. If you buff a semi gloss it goes glossy.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote