Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Valve Rotater Question

59ab with brand new exhaust valves, used intakes. One piece guides, adjustable lifters, lifter bores drilled and rotaters on all. Valves carefully adjusted (3 times) to .011 and .015. Manifold installed but not many accessories to remove. Question is should I have set the exhaust valves at .018 because of the use of rotators? This is the easy time to do it if needed. I'm running a stock cam and this island has a 40 mph speed limit so The engine should be living a very relaxed life. It's quite important to me to have it idle quietly, but not at the risk of burning valves or other problems. Maybe they just won't rotate as much with the .015? Thanks in advance. GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Valve Rotater Question

I don't think the lash clearance has anything to do with the operation of the rotator. If the engine is running you can place a mark on one of the exhaust valves and watch the valve rotate while idling.
I installed a setof rotators on a Max #1 many years ago and it worked very well. I have since used them on several other builds including the 280 in my truck.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I don't think the lash clearance has anything to do with the operation of the rotator. If the engine is running you can place a mark on one of the exhaust valves and watch the valve rotate while idling.
I installed a setof rotators on a Max #1 many years ago and it worked very well. I have since used them on several other builds including the 280 in my truck.
Thank you Ron, what I am wondering is it ok to keep the lash on the exhaust valves at .015 ? Seems from a post yesterday that the later 8ba called for .018 on the exhaust valves. Someone mentioned this was because the later ones had the rotators. I'd like to keep the .015 if it's ok.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Russ/40

I wouldn't worry about the 15 exhaust, but I would loosen the intakes a bit. There is nothing to be gained by ever having the intakes any tighter than 12. If 12 is ok, what's wrong with 11? Well, if 11 is ok what's wrong with 10, then 9...... Etc. I use .015 as the tightest exhaust as well. .012/.015
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
GB SISSON

Ford Motor Company Repair Manual June 18, 1948 3666-46D States intake .010-.012 and exhaust at .014-.016 so I went to the middle of both these numbers. Was just wondering if the use of the later rotater type valve assemblies would change the factory settings for the exhaust because they weren't offered back then. Sounds like we are all on the same page here within a thousands of an inch so I will head off to bed on my 62nd birthday with visions of an initial fire up sometime tomorrow afternoon. That's if I can fall asleep. My 2 birthday martinis may help. I don't get out much. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz Thanks much to the fordbarners. GB
Old 05-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

If your using the stock 59AB cam, .011 and .015 will be fine. I usually use .012--.014, BUT, if you are using rotors make sure your using the correct valves and springs, They are different than 49-50 valve setup. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dupont--Me. View Post
If your using the stock 59AB cam, .011 and .015 will be fine. I usually use .012--.014, BUT, if you are using rotors make sure your using the correct valves and springs, They are different than 49-50 valve setup. Walt

I get the part about the different valves. When I was scrounging for good valves, I had to pass by some really nice ones because they were the non-rotator type. Maybe what I'm finding is the larger clearances (.014 intake, .018 exhaust) were more due to a difference in the later cam, not so much the fact that rotators were used.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
flatjack9

The larger clearances are definetly due to the cam design. Some of these Ford cams had larger ramp heights which necessitated the larger clearance.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
B-O-B

GB better late than never sooo:
BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY & MAY YOU HAVE MANY ,MANY MORE GOOD ONES .
Now fire up that engine. BTW the truck looks just fine & the running boards are kool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old man.jpg (4.0 KB, 0 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
GB SISSON

Thanks all! Now back down to the shop. Hooking up starter solenoid and siphoning some gas. Still need to install one of the 5) 59/94 carbs I have down there. Not sure if I have a cartridge for the canister oil filter. I have a fram from the attic. I will check numbers and report back. I don't have any other components like rubber washers, but the big ring at the top looks fine. My felpro gasket set has some unknown rubber washers etc. Exploded view of canister oil filter anyone?