Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #21
DavidG

Default Re: 1933 Rear Seat Ash Tray(s)

That would likely be more of an issue at a Early Ford V8 Club National Meet. AACA judging tends not to delve into that kind of detail. I don't have a copy of the Helling book where I'm at presently, but in the example cited above, I side with Sheldon that a single ash tray mounted on a replaced trim panel isn't compelling as evidence of what existed on the trim panels when the car was built, especially given that it is mounted on the side opposite shown in the Ford Archives photo.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
Steve/IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Not '32 for sure. The one shown several notches above is a restored version of the original. The photo below is of a un-restored version
David,

I have a pair of '32 Ash Trays that, before being restored, had two horizontal gold pin strips on the wood grain surface. The pin stripes were old like the rest of the surfaces of the unrestored Ash Trays. Are the pin stripes someone's early embellishments? I don't recall verifying this in your '32 books. I am also away from home at this time.

Note to other '32 Guys: If you don't have David's Two Volume 1932 Ford Books, the information is invaluable! The cost, I believe, is still $85.00. They are available from the Early Ford V8 Club through their website. David has two supplements to his books that are also available on the website for free.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #23
DavidG

Steve,

I know the striped versions that you mention as I've had some in the past. They are identical to those in the photos above except for the stripes.

Obviously the ash trays were made by an outside supplier and in this case I believe that there were two of them. One version had the ash receptacle portion attached to the mounting plate with three formed prongs on the plate and three matching slots on the back of the receptacle. The other version had abbreviated V-shaped male and female runners that served as the attachment. The former version is the one most commonly encountered by far and is the one that shows up on the surviving engineering drawings for the ash tray at the BFRC (see below)

Both versions are mentioned and shown in the book (pages 11-30 and 11-37).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 o'clock 2-14-15 2216.jpg (39.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1 o'clock 2-14-15 2227.jpg (79.3 KB, 19 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #24
Steve/IL

David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My Ash Trays have the V-shaped runners. Since my car is Maroon and requires Gold external pin stripes, I will have the Ash Trays restriped in Gold when we stripe the body and hood.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #25
RobbHelf

Hi All,
Interesting posts and discussion on the ashtray issue. My Deluxe '33 has only one rear ashtray on the passenger side. The interior of my car is positively all original. Been in the family since 1965 and no evidence whatsoever of a drivers side rear ashtray being there. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
RobbHelf is offline   Reply With Quote