Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
aichord

Angry Clutch or Tranny?

Ok this is what is happening. Push in clutch pedal and the engine runs fine. Let out the pedal and the engine seems to be under a load and will stall if the clutch comes out this happens in any gear. This is even with the tranny in nuetral. I have a 1929 closed cab pickup with a 1930 4 banger. I at first thought it was the tranny, but with the engine off, I can push the vehicle very easy in nuetral with the pedal out. I am unable to push the vehicle when it is in any gear with the pedal out.
aichord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Clutch or Tranny?

I vote transmission. Uses different gears and bearings input vs. output.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
aichord

I am leaning that way also. I don't think the clutch would let me run the engine if it was froze.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Possible flywheel misalignment and a frozen pilot bushing or bad mainshaft bearing. Hard to tell for sure without pulling the transmission and possibly clutch. Something is definately binding. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Background info needed!

Did this all of a sudden start, or did it come on gradually?

Did it start after some work was done?

You are sure the tranny is shifting all the gears correctly? And two gears aren't being engaged at the same time?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
aichord

Happened all of the sudden. Clutch pedal went all the way to the floor, but I was able to adjust it back. I tried the hand crank with the pedal out and can"t move turn the engine,But with the clutch pedal in I can turn it. As I said the engine runs fine with the clutch pedal depressed, but stalls when it is released. Also I hear no unusual noises from the engine or tranny.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
aichord

Now I am thinking clutch or pilot bearing since I can't turn the engine with the pedal released.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
Bob C

Have you taken the inspection plate off the bell housing
and looked at the parts? Is the trans in neutral when you
are trying the hand crank?

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aichord View Post
Happened all of the sudden. Clutch pedal went all the way to the floor, but I was able to adjust it back. I tried the hand crank with the pedal out and can"t move turn the engine,But with the clutch pedal in I can turn it. As I said the engine runs fine with the clutch pedal depressed, but stalls when it is released. Also I hear no unusual noises from the engine or tranny.

Sounds like something broke related to the clutch if you had to readjust it. First thought would be the clutch release lever has cracked at the pin. That would be the first thing to look at.

Second, remove the inspection cover on the bell housing and see if the spring is still attached to throw-out bearing casting and the forks on the release shaft are properly seated. Also look to see if any of the small springs in the clutch disk have come out.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
aichord

Removed the inspection plate. Throwout bearing is adjusted to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the pressure plate and seems to travel normal when pedal is depressed. It seems to press in on the pressure plate enough to diseingage the clutch. I watched as the engine was running and the throwout bearing was spining when engaged to the pressure plate and the pressure plate was spinning as it should. Also forks seem to be properly seated and as I said the throwout bearing is sliding easily.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
aichord

This my thought. If the tranny is locked the engine would still run it the clutch pedal was depressed, however it would not be able to turn if the tranny is froze as in two gears engaged at once. My next step is to take off the tower and have a look see.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

1/4" from touching the fingers of the pressure plate is too much. You should be able to lightly push the clutch pedal about 1" down, then it should be hard to push because the bearing is now pressing the 6 fingers in.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
pat in Santa Cruz

when the shift forks and/or shift lever ball are worn too far, the ball can sip out of gear when shifting from 1st to 2nd or vice-versa and you can have 2 gears engage simultaneously.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #14
Chuck Sea/Tac

So, you're saying you can push the car in neutral, but can't crank it in neutral?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
So, you're saying you can push the car in neutral, but can't crank it in neutral?
That's also the part that has me baffled. For that to be the case the tranny input shaft would have to be locked up.

Does the shift lever feel normal when shifting through the H pattern to all 4 gears?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #16
colin1928

transmission input shaft bearing seized will give this problem
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
aichord

YEs I can push the car in neutral, but can't hand crank it. I am thinking either a input bearing or two gears stuck. The engine starts and runs fine with no unusual noise with the clutch pedal pushed in.I can shift the gears from one gear to another but I can not release the clutch pedal with the engine running or the engine will sound like it is under a load and stall out.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
Bob from Northport

Check the clutch return spring on the top inside the inspection plate-see if it is attached. It may have come off-fallen into the bottom of the bell housing, and jammed against the flywheel gear, seizing the engine from turning.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #19
aichord

Spring on the throwout bearing is attached and the throwout bearing slides freely and engages the pressure plate when clutch pedal is depressed. The clutch pedal is adjusted to 1 inch of travel before engaging the pressure plate. The shifter does seem to not go into third gear easily and may not be going in all the way. the other gears seem to be shifting normal. I see no metal or shavings in the bell housing as far as I can tell. Since the engine will turn over when the throwout bearing is engaged, i believe the answer is in the tranny.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Third gear does have LESS throw than the others, because it's only engaging the short internal teeth, rather than the whole width of the gear teeth.

At this point I'd remove the floorboard and shift tower. I've not heard of this exact problem before.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #21
Jdubwikk

What is the possibility of have a bent shifter fork that is binding two gear when moved out of the neutral position. A guy in our club had a similar problem but his was stuck in second gear and would not shift out. I agree with an earlier post of pulling the tower and taking a look at the gear box to make sure evenything is working correctly.
Jdubwikk is offline   Reply With Quote