Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
FrankWest

Default removing oil pan instructions

I need a Simple book or online instructions that show me how to remove the oil pan on a 4 cylinder b ford engine.
I ordered the pan gasket but need information on the other seals in the from and rear of pan? I can't find a good photo or diagram of it.
Any clear books on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Note; this car sat domant for 20 years and when i removedt the oil drain plug nothing came out in fact i had to press through the opening because of tar inside. Please help a newbie! Ordered an engine crank to turn the engine slightly while pouring MMO into sparkplub holes.

I imagine the pan is full of hardened oil?

Last edited by FrankWest; 07-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
vermontboy

Default Re: removing oil pan instructions

Pan needs to come off and windage tray removed (snaps out) and all the gunk removed. You also should pull the valve cover on the side of the engine and clean that out. Others should chime in with details like how to clean the oil pump, what to do prior to starting the engine, what mix to run for first flush, and how many total flushes.
Oh ya, and how to remove the pan - think that I read the B pan is a bit different. Everyone that ever bought a Model "A" that has sat for 10 or 20 years has gone through this.
If you want to do something while you wait just google - there is at least one youtube video - you can also search this forum - believe there are several previous threads on this subject.
vermontboy is offline   Reply With Quote