Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Steve Wastler

Default Had the roadster out yesterday

Had a little spare time yesterday and decieded to get the roadster out. Haven't had much time in the last 7 years to tinker with it, it has always run a little hot.

Changed the head gasket (blown) over the spring. I cleaned the water passages as well as I could with a few different wires and whatnot, got out a good bit of scale rust.

I ran a thin wire in the radiator (original round tube) down the three tubes i could get to around the baffle. Found no resistance, but one tube had left grease deposits on the wire, run between my fingers the deposit was the size of a small dime. So I decieded to flush the cooling system with some of the purple industrial parts cleaner made by Zep (sold at home depot). Put in about 3/5 ths of the gallon and filled the rest with water. Let it idle about 10 minutes and took it out for about 15 minutes. Man you should see the black as tar solution that came out.

Let it cool and added all water, drove it around as before and drained, did this about 3 more times before the water ran much clearer. I think i will do this flush again in a couple of weeks. It made a huge difference in the temp but could still be lower.

Thought I would post a few pics of the car, these are the first digital pics to be taken.

Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Bruce

Default Re: Had the roadster out yesterday

I got a recommendation from a radiator rebuilder who had a spot at Iola last weekend. He says to use about two cups of liquid dishwasher detergent. Told me to put it in with clean water and then run it for a couple weeks.
I dosed it and drove to breakfast and back on Sunday -- about 30 miles -- and drained it. Water was really ugly. Poured it into a split in a tree stump near my garage -- it is not hazardous -- and put in distilled water and another two cups of dishwasher liquid. I will let it stay for a hundred miles or so, to see what comes out.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Early V8 guys swear by vinegar.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Model A Speedster

Arm and Hammer washing SODA has always worked well for me. Same directions as your detergent method. Drive, drain, drive drain.