Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #41
tubman

Default Re: What in Tarnation?

Point me to it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #42
jimTN

Pic is on the inside of the rear page of the Jan/Feb V8 times
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #43
GB SISSON

Thanks guys! Mounted my nice ford 'heavy duty' oil bath air cleaner onto a down pipe to my turbo. Welded a sturdy bracket onto it and painted it. New clutch is buttoned up with trans back on and now I am obsessing about hydraulic slave cylinders and radiator hoses. I plan to push in the clutch master cylinder push rod with the same leg off the clutch pedal Henry used. That puts the master cyl down on the frame rail so I'll get one with a remote resevoir. All 3 pedals will be bone stock in the cab. I just mounted a shifter knob from a T9 crash box on the gm transmission. I also plan to keep my ford instrument panel all stock, using flathead senders. The truck is already 12 v with the resistors. Pictures tomorrow.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:27 AM   #44
Mart

Cool. Good progress all round. I know what you mean about obsessing about stuff. If there is a problem, I can't leave it alone until I have come up with a solution.

Keep it up GB.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #45
RobR'35

The Diamond T truck company used the hurcules line of engines in their trucks. Diesel engines as well.
Some of these trucks and engines were quite big for the day. Many were employed in WWII for taking wrecked tanks off the battle field.
A good friend of mine that served in the army during that time had said the injection system in the early years was the weak link to the diesels.
Long before my time. But interesting.
I'm very much enjoying your project.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #46
41ford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Pic is on the inside of the rear page of the Jan/Feb V8 times
this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash.jpg (101.8 KB, 93 views)

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:44 PM   #47
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
this one.

Very, very cool! Remarkably like my own. That's a 2 door or perhaps a 3 door, but so much is similar! I wonder about it's history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air cleaner 2.jpg (96.8 KB, 68 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-25-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
Zeke3

GB, I am concerned about your choice of air filters for your 6AT installation. Attached is a link to an old Cummins video about the damage dust can cause to an engine, https://www.facebook.com/liftedlifet...1266004382770/. If the link doesn't search for Cummins Operation Hourglass.

There was also an SAE paper written on the development of that engine back in 1985 if you would like to know more of the technical details of the engine. The SAE paper number is 850260.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #49
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
GB, I am concerned about your choice of air filters for your 6AT installation. Attached is a link to an old Cummins video about the damage dust can cause to an engine, https://www.facebook.com/liftedlifet...1266004382770/. If the link doesn't search for Cummins Operation Hourglass.

There was also an SAE paper written on the development of that engine back in 1985 if you would like to know more of the technical details of the engine. The SAE paper number is 850260.

Wow, thanks for the warning. I have heard about turbos getting 'dusted', but have also heard that an oil bath air cleaner is a very good scrubber of air, but not as efficient as a modern paper element. I will use what keeps my engine working right even if I have to go 'modern. How do I get that sae paper? I will google it. I'm waiting for ups to deliver my wilwood 'pull type' clutch slave cylinder and master cyl for the frame horn and a braided steel cable to mate them. Still working on my remote spin on oil filter setup and need some creative radiator hoses. Then it's fire up in the frame time. I plan to roll it outside, warm it up and gunk and clean the engine on some sunny day.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:52 AM   #50
tomcarman

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;1854750]Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance.
Perhaps this summer 'd like to pay you a visit. I follow your posts as they are quite interesting. I'm near Tumwater and I'd love to visit Orcas Island. Never been there. What's become of the Model A skidder?
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #51
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
What's become of the Model A skidder?
Yes, you owe us a video!
Old 02-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #52
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=tomcarman;1856358]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance.
Perhaps this summer 'd like to pay you a visit. I follow your posts as they are quite interesting. I'm near Tumwater and I'd love to visit Orcas Island. Never been there. What's become of the Model A skidder?
C'mon down! The skidder is all 'done'. It's as restored as I want it, and so it sits in a shed, nice and dry waiting to skid some logs. Along with this diesel conversion I am dealing with my primary hauler which blew up it's rear axle a few weeks ago. Very hard to locate a sterling 10.25 with 4.10 ratio '88-'97 for a cab/chassis. Then on the work front I am involved in a huge remodel of our local (only) super market, providing tables, seating, shelving, barn wood paneling etc. All with a looming deadline of April 15. Yikes.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #53
tomcarman

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;1856429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post

C'mon down! The skidder is all 'done'. It's as restored as I want it, and so it sits in a shed, nice and dry waiting to skid some logs. Along with this diesel conversion I am dealing with my primary hauler which blew up it's rear axle a few weeks ago. Very hard to locate a sterling 10.25 with 4.10 ratio '88-'97 for a cab/chassis. Then on the work front I am involved in a huge remodel of our local (only) super market, providing tables, seating, shelving, barn wood paneling etc. All with a looming deadline of April 15. Yikes.
You sound overly busy. Talked to the wife and we're up for a visit this summer. Perhaps in August. Is there a motel notell to stay in and and sleazy bar nearby? Sadly won't be driving the 32. Don't think she'd make it. Also, is the store remodel you're working on owned by a man named Jeff? Might have a common thread if so. Getting ready to retire in May and looking forward to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170528_161520.jpg (85.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #54
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=tomcarman;1856715]
Quote:

You sound overly busy. Talked to the wife and we're up for a visit this summer. Perhaps in August. Is there a motel notell to stay in and and sleazy bar nearby? Sadly won't be driving the 32. Don't think she'd make it. Also, is the store remodel you're working on owned by a man named Jeff? Might have a common thread if so. Getting ready to retire in May and looking forward to it.
That would be great! Various resorts and cabins, B&Bs and air B&Bs. Most of the gear heads here are chevy or toyota. I can't talk flatheads with anybody on this island. PS I still love the flathead V8 in spite of my current project!
Old 03-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #55
GB SISSON

[QUOTE=tomcarman;1856358]
Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! My '92 is the backbone of all my hauling duties. Some of you have visited (all are invited). 1/2 mile of very steep switchback gravel road. Climbs about 600' in that distance.
Weird story on how this sign ended up on Orcas Island....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TumwaterG_3962.JPG (123.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post

EDit: Just in case you thought my wife was 'running off', I didn't mean it literally. We just stayed up watching old country videos on youtube.... OK, just to be clear.

I just downloaded and printed the SAE paper on the onan/cummins L series engine development. Seven big main bearings, water cooled oil cooler with 20 plates on the turbo models, 6000 hours-20,000 hours between overhauls at 3600 rpm. Not sure I can wear it out on casual weekend runs or to the dump, as I am 67 years old in May. Running the fine line on weekends between my wife running off, and me being happy with what I got done on my project. We both agreed about 10 minutes ago that I was obsessed. But we Knew that...... Just about ready to fire up the Cummins 6at in the frame.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-02-2020 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:47 AM   #57
tomcarman

I know nothing of diesels other than to me thay smell bad. Hope you have a fan to get the stink out of the shop and for safety a fire extinguisher nearby. Perhaps you could post a video of a smooth purring kitten idling in the shop. Looking forward to a trip to Orcas Island this summer.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #58
Zeke3

Now you know a little more about the engine. I agree you will probably not run it enough to wear it out, but UPS probably put 15-20 years worth of wear into it before disposing of the truck. I look forward to seeing it run.

Diesels don't necessarily smell bad, just different.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:39 PM   #59
GB SISSON

Most of them came available in the early 90s..... The engine I have was built in '88. Seems the drivers staged a revolt against the clattering, rattling noise in a tin can of a ups truck with the engine between the seats making it hard to think. My wife didn't like my last 6at conversion and I don't expect her to like this one. I have a bunch of trucks, all single cab. This one is for my guy time. Cummins specs call for 57 lb oil pressure and that is exactly what I have. I hgave plastigauged the mains and rods and it is exactly at factory specs......
Old 03-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #60
GB SISSON

Been running this contraption in the frame over the weekend. The hydraulic clutch is ready to bleed, the remote oil filter all buttoned up, alternator wired etc. etc. If it had a steering box and a wheel (or vice grips)I could rig up a seat tomorrow and drive it around the property. (with no brakes).... The clutch master cylinder is on a bracket bolted to the two diagonal horn mounting holes on the left frame rail. I used a piece of light weight 3/4: dia steel tubing for the long push rod from the clevis on the stock clutch pedal. Threads at both ends. Braided steel line crosses under the pan to the slave cyl on the right side. My son is working with me tomorrow so I hope we can pull it out of the dark cave we call a shop and get some pics or better yet a video. With sound. There is a lot of sound involved with a 2' straight pipe. And yes it smells pretty bad running it in the cave unless of course you like diesel smell. Oh, and I have yet to drill even the smallest hole in the frame.