Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
lotsagas4u

Default 1933 replacement radiator?

Looking for advise on a replacement radiator for my original car. Has a fresh rebuilt 36LB. Looks like brassworks has what I need. Would I benefit from a dummy neck, 4lb pressurized system? Or, stay with a original style? Currently running no thermostats, and have experienced burping out of overflow. Have new Drake pumps, and they do pump the water. Thoughts? Thanks
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1933 replacement radiator?

I think you can do no better than Brassworks - especially if you want it as original looking as possible. Like you mentioned, when you have very high-flow pumps, they will push water out the overflow - so you always have to run the radiator a bit low (unless you seal the cap and put a pressure valve on the over-flow (like Skip does). Otherwise, it would be a much better setup to have a sealed neck at the top and a pressurized system. I think 4 lbs would be about right. If I wasn't trying to stay 100% 32 looking - that is what I would have done.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have a BrassWorks, very nice radiator!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
Ken Arms

I have a walker in my 34 with a 59ab, I use a 4lb pressure cap and no thermostats. During my test drive it stayed nice and cool. Car is going through a full body off resto now and fit of the walker will need some tweaking in order for the hood and grill to match up good. Other than that I'm pleased. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Arms View Post
I have a walker in my 34 with a 59ab, I use a 4lb pressure cap and no thermostats. During my test drive it stayed nice and cool. Car is going through a full body off resto now and fit of the walker will need some tweaking in order for the hood and grill to match up good. Other than that I'm pleased. Ken
I'd high recommend that once you get it back on the road, that you put some thermostats in it. You really want the engine to get up to good operating temperature - 180 - and not run too cold.

In my 32 Cabriolet, I have a re-cored 32 radiator, Skips pumps, stock fan, etc.. It will NOT get up to temperature unless it is the middle of the summer and I'm just idling in traffic - so I really do need to put the thermostats back in.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #6
lotsagas4u

Speaking of heat, I need a good temp gauge for my car. As I said earlier, have Drake pumps, is the water probe hole thread the same as the original ford pump? What size is it? Thanks
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote