Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
MrPhat40

Default !940 Ford Coupe rear Window Seal

Dear Ford Barn-ers'

The rear window of my 1940 Ford coupe leaks water on the driver's side from time to time. I believe the issue to be a bad window seal.

This would be my first effort in removing and replacing that seal, could you please offer me any techniques, tips and or tricks to removing and reinstalling these rear window seals. (I am assuming I should do both sides even though the passenger side seems to work. They were both installed at the same time around 2002 by the previous owner).

I thank this knowledge pool in advance you guys have always come forward with great advice for me in the past.

Regards,
MrPhat40
MrPhat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #2
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Default Re: !940 Ford Coupe rear Window Seal

Rather than having to remove the driver's side window to replace the seal, why not just pry open the rubber seal and squeeze some sealant in and around it.
Clean the excess sealant off later.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Rather than having to remove the driver's side window to replace the seal, why not just pry open the rubber seal and squeeze some sealant in and around it.
Clean the excess sealant off later.
Along with this above suggestion, put masking tape all around the edge of the seal on the paint. That way you do not have to clean the sealant off the paint. No need to seal the bottom, just the top and the sides. Napa Auto Parts has a good black sealant. Part #4121
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
19Fordy

Use this sealant and try method described earlier before you remove window. Easy clean up with kerosene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3740 (Small).jpg (56.8 KB, 29 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
funrunr

I suggest removing the gasket and installing a new one from Carpenter or reputable company (NOT MAC'S). If your replacing both sides place tape on the outside center of each piece to later identify. Cut rubber with Stanley knife from the inside of window along the edge of the rubber gasket all the way around the window. with someone on the outside begin to push the window out and the helper outside will "catch" the glass. Now is the time to clean the metal edge the rubber secures to and straighten if necessary. Look closely where water was leaking.
Next, use hot soapy water and install the gasket onto the glass. (larger flatter rounded lip goes outside). Soak the pull cord or small rope in soapy water. Line the inside lip with the rope all the way around and overlap a little leaving a foot of extra rope hanging loosely. (ideally start and stop in the middle and not in a corner) Place the glass from the outside with bottom edge resting somewhat in place. Have the helper push on the glass firmly (they are only stopping it from falling or popping out, it does not take much force) from the outside while you begin to pull the rope from the inside. This will make the rubber begin to overlap the metal frame/lip. Once done, if the rubber is still wet you should be able to slightly move and adjust to make it look straight and neat. Allow to dry overnight before testing.
Baby shampoo and water is a good mix, I've heard others suggest baby oil but I never used it and don't know if it would dry overnight.

Below is the "get by for now" solution and I don't recommend.
They do sell a clear silicone for sealing windows, it is thin and will get into tight areas. make sure to tape off all edges of surrounding paint before applying. Insert tip of caulk tube behind rubber gasket and squeeze into seal around edges, swipe excess off with finger and wipe rubber clean with rag, then remove the tape for a nice clean look. I've done this to my daughters Ford Ranger and it works. Your car is a classic and deserves to be done correctly. It "could" be a nightmare to remove later in the future.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
woodiewagon46

I had a leak in the windshield on my '46 Woodie and used a Permatex product. It is Windshield & Glass Sealant, PN 81730. It's a flowable silicone and worked for me.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
TJ

I would avoid anything that is silicone. It's a PITA to clean up and if you ever have to repaint a car it can cause real problems. Just ask any body shop.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I would avoid anything that is silicone. It's a PITA to clean up and if you ever have to repaint a car it can cause real problems. Just ask any body shop.
For the most part, I agree with you. Especially in regard to future paint necessities. There are silicones designed specifically for glass. Ones not designed for this application tend to delaminate the glass.

Me? I don't utilize sealers. I install new gaskets properly and have not had any negative experiences to date.

For the rear windshields on a '39 - '40, I recommend Drake's gaskets. Carpenter's simply don't fit - they are too long.
These are easy to install and reasonably priced.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #9
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
For the most part, I agree with you. Especially in regard to future paint necessities. There are silicones designed specifically for glass. Ones not designed for this application tend to delaminate the glass.

Me? I don't utilize sealers. I install new gaskets properly and have not had any negative experiences to date.

For the rear windshields on a '39 - '40, I recommend Drake's gaskets. Carpenter's simply don't fit - they are too long.
These are easy to install and reasonably priced.
Good info on the suppliers Kube. I soak up all I can here, especially since I've just begun on my '40 Ford project.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
MrPhat40

Ford Barn-er's

Thank you once again for pointing me in the right direction.
I am going to try the new gasket approach.
Will let you know how it turns out.

MrPhat40
MrPhat40 is offline   Reply With Quote