Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
ctlikon0712

Default End of Hershey report Saturday 10-10-2015

After dodging the Winds and thunderstorm Friday I was optimistic about the weather and turnout today. Some vendors were still around but many had packed up or were in the process of doing so. So walking Orange and Green fields didn't take all that long.
I really enjoyed the show afterwards and saw allot of really nice cars and met some great people as well.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Ed Saniewski

Default Re: End of Hershey report Saturday 10-10-2015

I have only been attending Hersey for 13 years, but it seems that most of the vendors in chocolate field shut down Fri. night. The upper fields get the flow to and from the car show. The old timers I sell with in Chocolate field say that many years ago, Saturday was a big sale day. They also like to talk about all the mud there used to be after a rain storm.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Ted Duke

Enjoyed our trip to Hershey, but it is "not as good as it once was". First trip 1972 and for several years thereafter, and for the last seven or eight.

Arrived late Thursday at Chocolate (4:00 pm) and spent an hour and a half. Bought a couple of small items. Too many spaces filled with motor homes, or just empty. Lots of walking between anything to look at (or possibly buy).

Friday did Green. Bought a nice Tillotson for $10, passed on several grungy ones with parts missing for $35. Bought a few other items. Same complaint, too many spaces filled with motor homes or empty. Lots of walking to get to next vendor.

Too many vehicles, cars, trucks, motorhomes, trailers driving around during the day. Apparently none of the AACA Hershey rules posted on their website are enforced.

Crowds way down from past years. Economy? Long open spaces? High prices of "stuff". Seems many vendors come early and leave early. Heard many complaints Saturday from people who work and came over Friday afternoon.

We left at 12:30 Saturday as the flea market was essentially over and we didn't want to stand around until 3:30 to see the cars leave. Wish they judged earlier and allowed them to leave around noon. (Long drive home)

Finally, still a GREAT experience, but IMHO someone in AACA Hershey needs to get out of "the tent" and look at what has happened to the flea market.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
mhsprecher

I agree about the situation with the flea market. People should write the Eastern Region of AACA and ask them to review the situation.

I also remember when Saturday was a good flea market day. A fellow club member picked up a rare piece of literature for an old high wheeler he had, so people are still open. As a working stiff, I raced to get there, on back roads and at 45-50 mph in my 1930 4door on Thursday. As it turned out, I didn't get much flea market time, having to be on the phone for work, the thunderstorm, etc.

It was a beautiful day for the show and I enjoyed seeing the cars in the car corral. I talked to a guy who bought a Sportsman at the auction on Friday night.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
ctlikon0712

Valid observations and points guy's. I too wonder why Saturday the swap meet is considered over. There are many people who work who would show up for Saturday if it was still going on and worth the trip or time. And there are to many motor homes and vehicles....
Putting myself in the vendors shoes, I am sure it is nice to stay in a motor home right where your wares are setup to keep an eye on things at night and If you are set up on Tuesday I am sure I would be ready to go home by Saturday. I am sure many people looking over your items and asking questions without purchasing could be aggravating or tiresome.
I also enjoy looking at the Automotive Related Antiques, that being said... Wow many are asking outrageous amounts of money for their items. Its no wonder they don't seem to sell anything. The stuff that isn't car related has no business being at the show in my opinion.
I thanked many of the Saturday swap vendors that I saw for staying Saturday. I hope that part of the show gets better.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Ted Duke

We should not need to write anyone a letter. Many AACA members are here, aren't they?
Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
ronn

I agree with all of the posts presented-Hershey is dying, like it or not.

My first observation on Tues and Weds was that 40% of the spots selling, were selling tons of advertisement signs. If I didnt know better, wouldnt be sure that this was a car show...........
Likewise, so many empty spaces, that the meet becomes somewhat tiresome.
I believe the state sales tax has caused many to stay home, many are getting older and not coming any longer and I noticed about 30% foreigners taking up the slack. Mostly from Norway, Sweden and Holland.
I wont be attending any longer-the question that needs to be presented, are that the original cars and parts are going south, while the rod shows seem to be heading north.
Much thought is needed for the future, or there wont be a future................
I realized more then ever, that it is time for me to sell a few of my vehicles, as there may be no buyers in the next 10 years. I am not so much speaking concerning Model A's..................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
ronn

Glad you had such a great time Forever.....................

as I said, will never go back, so I guess I need an attitude adjustment.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
mshmodela

I suppose having never gone to the event one might look at the good side... Yes you could buy just about anything from the internet but is buying things the main reason one would go to Hershey? I suspect not.... I'd like to go someday for no other reason but to see the cars, shoot the ____ with those who has been around the car block a LOT longer than I have... and in the process learn somethings...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
29spcoupe

I have been going to Hershey since 1972 and wouldn't miss it. Saturdays are notoriously bad for selling because most people are at the car show. We set up Tuesday and start packing up on Saturday morning. I usually have good sales on every day except Saturday. This is not a business for me, the money I use to buy things comes from selling the extra parts that I sell. For me this is a hobby and the best venue in the world is Hershey. I wouldn't miss it for the world.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #11
Gary Karr

I got home last night from Hershey and had a blast. I caught up with lots of friends and made it through the entire flea market, and then some, averaging over 10 miles per day walking. I found a lot of great parts as well as a fair amount of NOS stuff. I found the crowds to be normal and tons of vendors with great stuff. I can't wait until next year.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
jimalabam

For some it's black, for others it's white. I still miss it every year !
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

For Me, I grouse about it (Griping is fun!) But The further away from it in time and distance I get, The more I look forward to it. After all it is the worlds biggest! But for me and my hips, it can be an ordeal.BTW I'm 5' 7" and 155 lbs with arthritic hips, back, and a knee and at 71 y.o., it freakin hurts! I did meet a guy I went to Bloomfield tech with. He was a couple of years behind me, but it was fun reminicing. All in all I'll probably go back next year, there's always some surprises.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #14
Ted Duke

So, if you voice an honest opinion about the less than desirable changes in the show you become a hater? Very interesting, my words,

"Finally, still a GREAT experience, but IMHO someone in AACA Hershey needs to get out of "the tent" and look at what has happened to the flea market

I stand by my statement above. AACA Hershey is losing "it" and it's not just the economy (which IMHO is NOT getting better), it is the wide open spaces and the "flipped" over-priced parts.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
Midwest Tin

To All,
I'm in total agreement with Forever4 and Gary Karr. I also found two NOS Model A Fenders and many other NOS parts. Also two excellent used fenders. Great conversations with Ford Barners and made some new friends. I have been going for the last 30 years and I'm looking forward to next years meet. Only 363 days left! Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #16
Tom in SW VA

This is an interesting discussion. I have been to Hershey one time (2006). I had a great time, but could not return the following year and had to give up my room at the Comfort Inn. That is my problem with Hershey. Lodging is a bear and once someone has a room they never give it up. All of my attempts to get back to the Comfort Inn in Hershey have been unproductive. Maybe I will have better luck next year!!
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #17
Reeg

Saturday was down but that probably had to do with the storm as well. prices were outrageous but that is capitalism. Someone must be paying. Also with the internet the flea market is less relevant. I went to race of gentlemen today and that was great.
Reeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
barkleydave

I am not an Ole Timer but have been to Hershey five times as a vendor. I have noticed changes in the past 5 years.

1. Yes lots of electric carts (the crowd is getting older!)
2. Too many Golf Carts!

From a vendor's perspective the carts are a good thing. The more ground the customers can cover the better the sales should be.

3. Great place to see beautiful cars and that remains the same.

4. Sales have been falling every year. It is expensive to go to Hershey. We travel 2 days each way. Takes a week of time and lots of fuel, food, etc expense. Sales this year barley covered our space rental.

5. More junk less quality available.

One vendor said it best when I asked him if he had some good stuff at his table? He responded: " My good stuff is at home... I bring my junk to sell here! "

Great to talk to the folks and see old friends but not a good business model for most of the vendors.

I did notice more motorhomes each year. We use one; but also put out over 50 FT of tables full of merchandise! The barge works great because of the bay storage so we can bring more. With 4 or 5 of us it makes it easier to lodging and setup.

I would guess there was at least 25 percent open spaces or more.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
I am not an Ole Timer but have been to Hershey five times as a vendor. I have noticed changes in the past 5 years.

1. Yes lots of electric carts (the crowd is getting older!)
2. Too many Golf Carts!

From a vendor's perspective the carts are a good thing. The more ground the customers can cover the better the sales should be.

3. Great place to see beautiful cars and that remains the same.

4. Sales have been falling every year. It is expensive to go to Hershey. We travel 2 days each way. Takes a week of time and lots of fuel, food, etc expense. Sales this year barley covered our space rental.

5. More junk less quality available.

One vendor said it best when I asked him if he had some good stuff at his table? He responded: " My good stuff is at home... I bring my junk to sell here! "

Great to talk to the folks and see old friends but not a good business model for most of the vendors.

I did notice more motorhomes each year. We use one; but also put out over 50 FT of tables full of merchandise! The barge works great because of the bay storage so we can bring more. With 4 or 5 of us it makes it easier to lodging and setup.

I would guess there was at least 25 percent open spaces or more.

thanks for your honesty
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #20
Terry, NJ

From what I can see, The guys at AACA are not going to let it fail,It may get smaller, but they won't allow it to fail completely. Nor would we want it to! Let the guy who's so tired of Hershey and wants it done, raise his hand! So rather than sitting around predicting it's demise, let's figuratively light a candle and have some suggestions about how we can improve it. Face it, Hershey is a lot of fun and it can be a lot of fun again.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote