Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
darrylkmc

Default EBay Sellers "This item does not ship to Alaska/Hawaii"

Wondering what the reasoning for Ebay Sellers going out of their way to exclude sales to Alaska and Hawaii.

Does not ship to Alaska/Hawaii

Here is yet another example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-Mod...p=mtr#shpCntId

I have bought and sold a lot on Ebay, is there a special button to push somewhere that automatically Excludes the 49th and 50th States?

Are our US Dollars no good to folks in the Lower 48?

Looking for input, justification and/or opinions.

Also USPS Flat Rate Boxes are the same rate for All 50 States.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: EBay Sellers "This item does not ship to Alaska/Hawaii"

Priority flatrate box is the cure for sure, not sure why he does not ship to Alaska. Larger items I can understand, but valves should be no problem. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Priority flatrate box is the cure for sure, not sure why he does not ship to Alaska. Larger items I can understand, but valves should be no problem. Rod
I guess part of my confusion is that the Buyer Purchases the Item and Agrees to Pay the Shipping Regardless of the method.

There are lots of Sellers who have the same mentality, not just this one.

Darryl in Fairbanks
Old 07-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Willie Krash

Perhaps they feel the shipping cost are higher to those states and therefore wish to exclude them. By UPS I believe this would be so. USPS should all be the same.
PayPal fees are charged on the amount of moving involved, so it would apply to shipping. Just a guess.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
TDO

You would be surprised to no how many people out there who don't no that we have 50 states.:ro lleyes:
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
CarlG

My most recent experience: Wanted to order a fairly large but light weight part for my modern car. This was a "Buy-it-now" and offered free shipping. Seller had the "does not ship to Alaska/Hawaii" caveat in his ad. But then again his ad said "ships worldwide" -- call for shipping. So I did. He said that Oh, yea, I'll ship to Alaska, no problem. Then he proceeded to explain that Alaska/Hawaii are lumped in with Puerto Rico and American Samoa as far as eBay are concerned. Alaska-- no problem. Just give me your order info over the phone, & it will be on it's way.

Another one a while back, was coming from Portland OR. Absolutely refused to ship to Alaska. So I gave them a Seattle address. Of course you know the rest; they shipped it USPS flat rate to Seattle. Same price as it would have shipped to Anchorage, plus I was paying the freight anyway.

Some people's logic just doesn't make any sense whatever.

Darryl is correct, though. Most of the sellers that say they will not ship to Alaska just will not budge, even though it means a lost sale. Most I have run across lately would ship USPS Flat Rate box anyway, no matter where they ship it.

Some time back I shipped a box to the UK in a flat rate box. It was no more trouble than shipping it to Fairbanks or across town.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO View Post
You would be surprised to no how many people out there who don't no that we have 50 states.:ro lleyes:
My wife bought something from an outfit in Ohio. They actually charged her an extra $15 for filling out the customs forms! And then argued with her that Alaska was not in the US!

Or the time she was in Seattle and just for kicks asked the store clerk if they took Alaskan currency -- the clerk had to go ask someone!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
ronn

Some time back I shipped a box to the UK in a flat rate box. It was no more trouble than shipping it to Fairbanks or across town. __________________

when shipping out of the US, you cannot insure- so the person doesn't get the item, makes a claim to paypal and is reimbursed......
you are caught empty handed as the seller-on the other hand-yes pun intended!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
NORTHEASTVIC

Your correct. All Postal flat rate boxes will go to both states as well as the lower 48 at the SAME rate. Only hold back we have is if it ships via U.P.S. That is a whole different expense for both our customers and us as the shipper.
PV FORD
NORTHEASTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Roadster62

A lot of eBay shipping problems are caused by EBAY! I sure would like to hear from someone overseas that has used the "Global Shipping" scam eBay has set up. The deal goes like this, you can buy an item that the seller agrees to ship INSIDE the USA, and it gets shipped to a post office in Kentucky, and from there to were ever outside the USA. So a book I sold to Australia was going to cost a lady well over $20.00, using this setup, I could have mailed it myself to her for under $10.00. Do they open and repack stuff since you don't have to state what in in the box for delivery in the USA. Do they repack as well as you do? What is the final cost to the buyer? It's a big mystery, I don't like to see anyone shafted on shipping costs. Bob
Old 07-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
bettlesr

I've also found there is no way to add UPS insurance on the item being sold through Ebay. I even called Ebay and was told it couldn't be done. I (the seller) would have to pay it myself or add an extra charge after the paypal went through.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
redmodelt

The last package I sent Flat Rate Priority to Germany even had tracking so I knew when it got there.
I would not, nor would I suggest anyone using the Ebay reshipping service after reading the hassle someone just went through because the package was the wrong weight or size.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Ask him.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
darrylkmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Ask him.
Mike V. Florida

I did, and here is his nice response:

Dear darrylkmc,

There. It now ships to Alaska and Hawaii

- oldskoolcarparts

Darryl in Fairbanks
Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylkmc View Post
Mike V. Florida

I did, and here is his nice response:

Dear darrylkmc,

There. It now ships to Alaska and Hawaii

- oldskoolcarparts

Darryl in Fairbanks
That's great news!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #16
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO View Post
That both sad and funny at the same time... Hey the President of these United States publicly stated that he'd visited all 51 states
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #17
mshmodela

Since buyer usually pays for shipping, handling, and packaging, what difference to ANY seller should it make where the buyer is from? To my fellow Americans in our lovely 49th and 50th states which I had opportunity visited, so very sorry for the few foolish sellers who still think this is our current flag:

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
FL&WVMIKE

A lot of folks on here do not realize that you can ship to all fifty states, for the same amount, with the Post Office Flat Rate Shipping. It now has free tracking and free $50.00 paid insurance.
It is quick, too. I sent three steering brackets to Hawaii, and the fellow got them on the third day, from Florida.
It is a great deal if your package is heavy (up to 70 lbs.) or going a long distance. If your package is light or just going a short distance, there might be a cheaper way to mail it.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
A lot of folks on here do not realize that you can ship to all fifty states, for the same amount, with the Post Office Flat Rate Shipping. It now has free tracking and free $50.00 paid insurance.
It is quick, too. I sent three steering brackets to Hawaii, and the fellow got them on the third day, from Florida.
It is a great deal if your package is heavy (up to 70 lbs.) or going a long distance. If your package is light or just going a short distance, there might be a cheaper way to mail it.
MIKE (mikeburch)
True, but it so much easier to bitch about the USPS. Unfortunately even with the convenience of Google most can't be bothered to ferret out the info they need as is often evidenced right here on the Barn. The USPS website can be a bit cumbersome but the information is there.
As another poster mentioned the hang up is really an error on the part of eBay. Maybe their webmasters don't know about Google either!
Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
Roadster62

Personally I enjoy selling stuff overseas, somehow it makes me feel good knowing our cars are enjoyed over there. Oh, sure it is a huge effort to fill in my address and that of the buyer, on a customs form,but I think the 45 seconds is worth it. Bob
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #21
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
True, but it so much easier to bitch about the USPS. Unfortunately even with the convenience of Google most can't be bothered to ferret out the info they need as is often evidenced right here on the Barn. The USPS website can be a bit cumbersome but the information is there.
As another poster mentioned the hang up is really an error on the part of eBay. Maybe their webmasters don't know about Google either!
It used to be, that for a vendor to use the Post Office, he had to take your package to the Post Office. That was an extra expense to the vendor.
Now, the Post Office will come to you to pick up your Flat Rate Packages.
If more vendors would use this, they could save us poor customers. a bit of money.
MIKE BURCH
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #22
Synchro909

I'm in Australia and I've lost count of the number of times a seller in the USA refuses to even have any contact with me once they learn that. One even said that there are too many foreign scammers. He didn't seem to understand that he was a foreigner to me!?!?!
Of the people who I have dealt with successfully over there, several are what I would now call a friend. We have visited some and had others visit us here. I figure those who keep their head under their armpit, miss out on soooo much.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote