Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
kwisor

Default frame welt how to install

hello all
i just orded the frame welt from snyders today do i need to glue it down if so what do i use i am getting ready to test fit the fenders and running boards
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadester p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
BashawT

Default Re: frame welt how to install

I think people use some glue so It doesn't move around on you when fitting the fenders, body, etc. I'm not sure what people use for glue but I'm sure some people will chime in and say what they've used in the past. I'm guessing just anything that will keep the welt in place and not affect the paint on the chassis.
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i dont use any adhesive as some others do as i dont want the mess on the frame. i lay it out and punch the holes for any bolts then assemble. thats just my method
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
wrndln

I do use glue to keep it from moving. I lay it out on the frame and mark the places for the holes body block bolts and other places that need holes. Then I lay the welting on the end of a short 2x4 or 2x6. I then take a sharpened cast iron pipe of the right size 3/8" or 1/2" and with a hammer hit the pipe over the mark. The pipe make a nice clean hole. The end grain of the "2by" lets the pipe go in a little where as the side of the wood is not soft enough to make it into the wood far enough to cut the welting cleanly. After I have one side done, I flip it over and mark the other side and repeat the same procedure on the second strip of welting. After making both strips, I glue them on with contact cement or 3M spray adhesive. Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
kwisor

hello
thanks for the replays
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
ford3

aftter you punch the holes put a bolt in one of the fender holes in the frame seing the fender goes on after the body and then strech it out, remember its the webbing, then the splash aprons, then rubber spacers, then body blocks , then the body , the blocks go on in a certain place, make sure you get them right, the rubbber spacers are used for shims to get the doors adjused, cut a slot from the out side of shim to the bolt hole wide enough to let the body block slip past, that way you dont have to remove the bolt every time you add or remove a shim
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

The proper way I guess is to do it as original done. Bolt the fender to the apron, and glue the welting to the bottomside of the fender and apron. Then install the fender & apron simultaniously.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I lay the welting on the frame and tape the two ends, then let it set for a day or two, and then mark and punch the holes. I don't glue it. When I did a 1930 AA I layed it down and punched the holes right away. After a day or two the welting seems to have shrunk, and I had to pull it tight to get the bolts through the holes.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
George Miller

I do it a little different. Glue the welting to the frame with trim cement. Then heat a bolt a little smaller than the hole and burn a hole through the welting. Move it around tell it touches the hole in the frame. Works real good and leaves a nice clean hole.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The proper way I guess is to do it as original done. Bolt the fender to the apron, and glue the welting to the bottomside of the fender and apron. Then install the fender & apron simultaniously.

Any documentation on this procedure? I seem to recall a thread a while ago in which Marco specifically stated that this was likely not done (?).
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Any documentation on this procedure? I seem to recall a thread a while ago in which Marco specifically stated that this was likely not done (?).

If you don't mind, please show me where Marco said that. There are archive pictures showing the fenders on the distribution line with the anti-squeak already attached on the fender & apron. Also, can you show me a picture of a chassis on the assembly line with the anti-squeak glued to the frame rails?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
wrndln

It sure seems difficult to glue the welting to the fender and apron - very hard for a restorer. Brent, is that the way your shop does it? Maybe Ford had a system that did it this way, but for a restorer, gluing the welting to the frame first, installing the apron second and then the fenders seems a much easier way to do it. When it is all finished no one would know the difference either way.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Randy in ca

Quote:
If you don't mind, please show me where Marco said that. There are archive pictures showing the fenders on the distribution line with the anti-squeak already attached on the fender & apron. Also, can you show me a picture of a chassis on the assembly line with the anti-squeak glued to the frame rails?

Here's the link the thread I was referring to:

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76025

Within this thread Marco states:

"Also, the anti-squeak webbing was not "stuck" to the fender and apron although they usually do after decades of being on a car".

and:

"No. That would be far to difficult and time consuming. To do so they would have manufactured the webbing with some sort of "stick-um" on one side which they didn't. Also, try aligning them on the bottom of your fenders and shields and you will find it's not as easy as it sounds as there are only a few reference points for alignment.

Why go to all that trouble when you have gravity on your side and simply setting it down on the frame is simple. They weren't trying to slide the shields under the body as is commonly done during a restoration. They were lowering the entire fender and shield assembly straight down from above. If they were going to "stick" the webbing to anything it would have been the frame where alignment is obvious".

If you have or know of pictures with the welt attached as you have stated above, now would be a good time to set the record straight once and for all.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
d.j. moordigian

"All years the front fender, running board, and running board shield were all assembled together on a padded bench. As the chassis approached the station on the assembly line where the fender and running board assembly was to be installed, the webbing was laid down on the frame rail."
Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
59mgaguy

After laying out and marking and cutting out my holes. I stitch large loops at the bottom of my webbing about every 2 1/2 to 3 inches. With the webbing in place and the bolts loose I pull down on 2 of the bottom loop of the thread between the bolt to pull the top part of the webbing in place. Then I snug up the bolt then go onto the next bolt. When the webbing is in the correct position I tighten the bolts all the way if not I go back to where the trouble is and redo.

Hope I you understand what I wrote.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
Randy in ca

Quote:

So we've clearly shown you where Marco "said that", and everyone is still left hanging. Can you post or tell us where to access the archive pictures showing the procedure you've described?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
d.j. moordigian

Morning Brent,

I sure had to think about what you wrote for a day or two before looking
up the thread( man...I just couldn't remember), I remember it was 1 or 2
pieces, depending on what month in 28 or style of apron...but that was it.

.....Body to frame welting... ( 1 2 view all)....
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.heider View Post
Sound of silence----

So we've clearly shown you where Marco "said that", and everyone is still left hanging. Can you post or tell us where to access the archive pictures showing the procedure you've described?

Sometimes the PROS don't like to be challenged?

Look.....were here for an exchange of knowledge!

Brent...and some others, that don't participate here on the Barn, are friends
of mine,...because of the bs !
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
roundvalley

I have laid it on and cut the bolt holes. Then take a hot glue gun and tack it down every 6".
roundvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
kwisor

hello all
want to thank everyone for there replies i found a 9 peace hole punch set at harber fright for 7.00 i let the webbing lay on the frame for a few days then i took my thumb and made a inpressin of the hole used a 2x4 solft end and punched the holes worked great it is rainning today so i will glue down when it gets sunny again
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u