Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
zzlegend

Default Re: frame welt how to install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
Here's the link the thread I was referring to:

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76025

Within this thread Marco states:

"Also, the anti-squeak webbing was not "stuck" to the fender and apron although they usually do after decades of being on a car".

and:

"No. That would be far to difficult and time consuming. To do so they would have manufactured the webbing with some sort of "stick-um" on one side which they didn't. Also, try aligning them on the bottom of your fenders and shields and you will find it's not as easy as it sounds as there are only a few reference points for alignment.

Why go to all that trouble when you have gravity on your side and simply setting it down on the frame is simple. They weren't trying to slide the shields under the body as is commonly done during a restoration. They were lowering the entire fender and shield assembly straight down from above. If they were going to "stick" the webbing to anything it would have been the frame where alignment is obvious".

If you have or know of pictures with the welt attached as you have stated above, now would be a good time to set the record straight once and for all.
Thanks for posting Randy. Since no one has replied to this, i will say that
i have a friend that is getting ready to do this on his restoration next week. I will pass Marco's info on to him, as that appears to be the correct way to install. I directed him to Marco's website in the past as he post a lot of good info that helps the basic model a owner. Mark.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #22
kwisor

hello
after punching the holes in my welt i see no reason to glue it down i due have the body and fenders off i due not see a problem becouse i will not be sliding the aprions and fenders on
kevin
1930 model a tudor
1923 model t roadster p/u
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #23
ericr

does anyone know if the original fender gimp had to have slots cut into it to fit easier as we do, or were they using some contemporary product that worked better?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #24
lake_harley

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I'll soon be reinstalling the body, fenders and running boards on my '30 Model A Coupe. I was searching for an answer on the frame to body webbing material but really haven't found an answer. At least this thread was on the topic....somewhat.

My question is how far back does the webbing get installed. I think I've found out that it starts partially wrapped around the front frame horns but does it then stop just beyond (3/4") the back of the splash apron, or does it extend all the way to the rear of the frame? I'm thinking just beyond the splash apron.

Also, is the assembly order frame, welt, fender and splash apron.....and then do the rubber shims/pads go on next, then the blocks, then the body? Or...do the wood blocks go directly on top of the splash apron and the rubber shims between the blocks and the body subrails?

I know....these are simple uninformed and unfamiliar questions from a Model A noobie, but I want to at least get things assembled correctly and in the right order.

Thanks, in advance!

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #25
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I'll soon be reinstalling the body, fenders and running boards on my '30 Model A Coupe. I was searching for an answer on the frame to body webbing material but really haven't found an answer. At least this thread was on the topic....somewhat.

My question is how far back does the webbing get installed. I think I've found out that it starts partially wrapped around the front frame horns but does it then stop just beyond (3/4") the back of the splash apron, or does it extend all the way to the rear of the frame? I'm thinking just beyond the splash apron.

Also, is the assembly order frame, welt, fender and splash apron.....and then do the rubber shims/pads go on next, then the blocks, then the body? Or...do the wood blocks go directly on top of the splash apron and the rubber shims between the blocks and the body subrails?

I know....these are simple uninformed and unfamiliar questions from a Model A noobie, but I want to at least get things assembled correctly and in the right order.

Thanks, in advance!

Lynn
Lynn,

I did a research article on the anti-squeek webbing material a few years ago.

You may find this interesting...or not!

http://www.plucks329s.org/pdf/studie...EAKARTICLE.pdf

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote