Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #101
KULTULZ

Default Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

AT = AUTO TRANS

HR = 427 Engine Style (High Riser) - Required Bubble Hood for carb(s) clearance.

The 427 had several design changes in its history.

HX was the LINCOLN version of the FX-MX Trans Series

BTW - I came across a 64 4DR HDTP XL that was ordered with the P-CODE. Tell her she has a long lost sister ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #102
all american boy

' NEW Hood Hinges.'

I don't think so.Unless you have money you don't know what to do with.

Just get some WD 40 or 3 in 1 oil and put some on where the pressed pins

are.

Work the hood back and forth CAREFULLY after you put it on.

THEN wait half a day or overnight and work it back and forth again.

That is Old Car 101 stuff.

Probably will have to push hood down at the back forever but

we put that money towards speed equipment here in Southern California.

NOT unnecessary brand new parts in little FoMoCo boxes.

'Yes it has.Before I was a multi-millionaire.'-Quote
all american boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #103
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
AT = AUTO TRANS
Hey Mr. K,
Of course, I should have known.
Quote:
HR = 427 Engine Style (High Riser) - Required Bubble Hood for carb(s) clearance.
Of course, I should have known.
Quote:
The 427 had several design changes in its history. HX was the LINCOLN version of the FX-MX Trans Series
THAT'S a little more esoteric.

Back in the 1950s Southern California HotRod Culture, the Lincoln Manual Transmission was all the rage. They were called "AbeCogs". At the time Lincoln was DOMINATING the Mexican Road Race known as the Carrera Panamericana.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/0...ritage-museum/
Quote:
BTW - I came across a 64 4DR HDTP XL that was ordered with the P-CODE. Tell her she has a long lost sister ...
Tell me more about THIS.

Some time ago, a fellow wrote me an E-Mail saying he had a 1964 Ford Galaxie XL with a "P" in the VIN. Turned out the P was in the second position, and not the fifth. The P in his VIN was an indication that the vehicle was built in the TwinCities (Minnesota) Ford Plant. Are you sure that Ms. American's "long lost sister" is REALLY a P-Code?

Anyway, time to clean up the cat's mess, and get on with the day.

Take care.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #104
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by all american boy View Post
' NEW Hood Hinges.'
Hey Mr. AAB,
Ms. American USED to have NEW Hood Hinges.
Quote:
I don't think so.Unless you have money you don't know what to do with.
I happen to have a VERY rich Uncle to whom I loaned a LOT of money when I was younger, and he promised to pay me back when I turned Sixty-Five. So NOW, each month he sends me a payment. It's a LOT more than it takes to live on, so I don't mind spending it on nice things for Ms. American, and Lorrie Van Haul. After all, it's FREE money.
Quote:
Just get some WD 40 or 3 in 1 oil and put some on where the pressed pins are.
REALLY? Is THAT what YOU would do? Put a Water Dispersant OR Oily Substance on the Hinges? There's no Water to disperse, and Oil would only GUNK up the Hinges, make stuff stick to it.

What I use on them is LPS1 Greaseless Lubricant.

https://www.lpslabs.com/index

Keeps them clean, AND lubricated with no mess.

There IS an adjustment that is possible to make that would make it to where the Hood would fit down, BUT I kind of like it up, as it lets heat out of the Engine Compartment, AND no one can open the Hood if they don't know how.
Quote:
Work the hood back and forth CAREFULLY after you put it on. THEN wait half a day or overnight and work it back and forth again. That is Old Car 101 stuff. Probably will have to push hood down at the back forever but
we put that money towards speed equipment here in Southern California.
I was raised in SoCal (Ontario). It USED to be a GREAT place to be FROM!

As far as getting Ms. American some "speed equipment", that'd be like getting your grandmother a boob job, a lip plump, and a booty enhancement.
Quote:
NOT unnecessary brand new parts in little FoMoCo boxes.
Right.

What have YOU been working on recently?

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
Old 09-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #105
Hot Rod Reverend

what is going on with the "caper" these days?
Old 09-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #106
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
what is going on with the "caper" these days?
Hey Mr. HRR, Ms. American 3.14159 is alive and well, having just recently gotten a NEW Water Pump. The Water Pump that the NEW unit replaced is the old Gal's ORIGINAL Pump that had been on the 3.14 for over 300,000 miles.

The NEW unit is MUCH heavier than the ORIGINAL unit.

Have found a place in Houston that rebuilds Water Pumps, and just to keep Ms. American as close to stock as possible, have plans to send the ORIGINAL unit off for a rebuild/restoration. Probably won't install the rebuilt ORIGINAL, but whomever inherits Ms. American when I'm gone will be able to have it in case they want to do a restoration.

In the meantime, the old Gal is doing wonderfully. Starts right up, drives good, and has proven to be reliable transportation since getting the AutoLite 4100 Rebuilt by Champion Carburetor in Dallas. And probably the best thing that was ever done to the AutoLite 4100 was to convert it to Manual Choke.

Anyway, thanks for inquiring. Hope this finds YOU doing well, and staying safe.

JCAllison
Old 09-27-2021, 09:42 AM   #107
40cpe

Hi Mr Allison. I'm glad to hear from you. I had thought of you a year or so ago and inquired through Google for any information on you. I found that a tornado heavily damaged your home in 2019 and the van body was destroyed. It's good to hear that you are still able to be about the business of keeping Ms American 3.14159 in good shape. May God Bless you and keep us posted on your activities.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:29 AM   #108
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

!!! HEY JC !!!

Glad to see you are up and about and your health has held.

Listen, I used to have a few beauty shots of MISS AMERICAN but have lost them. Any chance of a few 8 X 10 GLOSSIES?

That is a very special car. I wonder what it would appraise at?

I must remember -

Quote:
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”
... including his car ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #109
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Hi Mr Allison. I'm glad to hear from you. I had thought of you a year or so ago and inquired through Google for any information on you. I found that a tornado heavily damaged your home in 2019 and the van body was destroyed.
Hey Mr. 40C, The tornado hit here on April 22, 2020 at 5:34 p.m., and dropped a 112 foot tall pine tree on her, folding her up like a taco. It almost completely destroyed my sweetheart Lorrie Van Haul, who was just two weeks away from being finished after a two year restomod job. Her Engine, Transmission, Differential, and Chassis is setting here awaiting her eventual fate, whatever THAT may be. Was heartbroken, but such is life.
Quote:
It's good to hear that you are still able to be about the business of keeping Ms American 3.14159 in good shape. May God Bless you and keep us posted on your activities.
It is with great difficulty that work gets done on the old Gal. Am able to work about an hour in the morning (if it isn't too cold), and an hour in the afternoon (if it isn't too hot).

A while back, the 3.14 needed a NEW Ignition Switch, and Starter. Tried to do it myself, but couldn't get the OLD Ignition Switch to come out, and am no longer strong enough to lift a Starter into place. So it was taken to the best Auto Shop in the area, and they fixed what was needed, though in the process they messed up more stuff than they fixed. They made a bunch of modifications to make their job easier, but didn't tell me they what they were going to do. Wouldn't have had them do what they did, and eventually what they did will have to be undone, but it is doubtful that it will be done by me.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Hope you are well, and staying safe.

JCAllison
Old 09-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #110
JCAllison

Quote:
!!! HEY JC !!!
!!! HEY MR. K!!!

There you are!!! Had looked for you a number of times, all to no avail.
Quote:
Glad to see you are up and about and your health has held.
Seems to be hanging here. Have to say "Aging is NOT for sissies!" (Bette Davis)
Quote:
Listen, I used to have a few beauty shots of MISS AMERICAN but have lost them. Any chance of a few 8 X 10 GLOSSIES?
Don't have any glossies, but do have some JPGs. Would gladly send what is here if how to do it can be remembered. Memory is almost gone. Told the doctor that I couldn't remember things from minute to minute. She asked "How long had this been going on?" I said "How long has WHAT been going on?"
Quote:
That is a very special car. I wonder what it would appraise at?
I one time asked Greg Donahue that same question. He said that there are some deep pockets that like to have things that no one else has or can get. That if I could get some of those guys to bidding on it, that there's no telling how much she could go for.

But I don't want to sell her to anyone. Am looking for someone who can appreciate her for what she is, and to just give her to him since my days are numbered. Have any idea who THAT might be?

Anyway, am going to have to have something to eat, and get on with the day. Glad to hear from you. Take excellent care, stay well, and safe.

JCAllison
Old 09-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #111
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post
Am looking for someone who can appreciate her for what she is, and to just give her to him since my days are numbered. Have any idea who THAT might be?
Sure, anybody can donate easily to religious charities. Years ago, when I wrote up my "last-will-and-testament", I declared A L L of my belongings (house, cars, other properties and funds) to be donated to a ministry called "Secrets Unsealed".
You don't have to wait to donate. I have also been donating to "Lightbearers" ministry and plan to donate to 3ABN TV.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:45 PM   #112
KULTULZ

Quote:

!!! HEY MR. K!!!

There you are!!! Had looked for you a number of times, all to no avail.

Seems to be hanging here. Have to say "Aging is NOT for sissies!" (Bette Davis)
Well, I have to lay somewhat low due to those few Federal warrants still outstanding.

If you could E-MAIL a few shots (or attach them here) I would appreciate it. Had a couple of computer meltdowns and can't find 'em ...

[email protected]

Be Safe -

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #113
JCAllison

Quote:
Listen, I used to have a few beauty shots of MISS AMERICAN but have lost them. Any chance of a few 8 X 10 GLOSSIES? That is a very special car.
Hey Mr. K, tried to sent some JPGs of Ms. American 3.14159, But they didn't go. Will try sending them to your E-Mail address.

JCAllison
Old 09-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #114
JCAllison

Hey Mr. K, thought about E-Mailing you to see if the post that was sent earlier had gotten through, but then snapped to the fact that if it didn't, that sending another E-mail to the same address wouldn't get through either. So am asking here. Did the JPGs make it to your E-Mail In Box?

JCAllison
Old 09-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #115
KULTULZ

Quote:

Hey Mr. K, thought about E-Mailing you to see if the post that was sent earlier had gotten through, but then snapped to the fact that if it didn't, that sending another E-mail to the same address wouldn't get through either. So am asking here. Did the JPGs make it to your E-Mail In Box?

JCAllison
Yes, they did come through and is muchly appreciated.

Imagine us two old guys fighting over the same woman ...

It is such an unusual build that makes it so special.

THANX again ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #116
JCAllison

Quote:
Yes, they did come through and is muchly appreciated. Imagine us two old guys fighting over the same woman ... It is such an unusual build that makes it so special. THANX again ...
Hey Mr. K., I don't seem to be able to post the JPGs that were sent to you here at FordBarn. Do you know how to do that? If you do, could you post them so that others can see what we are talking about? Thanks in advance if you can.

Hope you are well. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 09-29-2021, 06:37 PM   #117
KULTULZ

Quote:

Hey Mr. K., I don't seem to be able to post the JPGs that were sent to you here at FordBarn. Do you know how to do that? If you do, could you post them so that others can see what we are talking about? Thanks in advance if you can.

Hope you are well. Stay safe.

JCAllison
No problem -

This car is unique in that it is a 4DR HDTP ordered with the 390PI, 3/S OD and was also built with the HP options (brakes - wheels, etc) of 1960-64 HP cars.

OH!

If she doesn't mind lifting her skirt a little, need a photo of the engine please ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MS. AMERICAN _1.jpg (47.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg MS. AMERICAN _2.jpg (99.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg MS. AMERICAN _3.jpg (35.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg MS. AMERICAN _4.jpg (41.5 KB, 15 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 09-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #118
JCAllison

Quote:
No problem - This car is unique in that it is a 4DR HDTP ordered with the 390PI, 3/S OD and was also built with the HP options (brakes - wheels, etc.) of 1960-64 HP cars.
Hey Mr. K., don't forget the Solid Lifters.
Quote:
OH! If she doesn't mind lifting her skirt a little, need a photo of the engine please ...
Could you do me a favor and teach me how to upload JPG to Ford Barn? There are lots of little nuances of which there are JPGs, but sending them to YOU first and having you upload them is too convoluted.

The nuances are things like:

The Manual Choke System on the AutoLite 4100 Carburetor.

The 4100 being set up to idle on its Secondaries.

There is also the Oil Cleaning System that replaced the Oil Filtering System, which has made it possible for the old Gal, at a little over 300,000 miles on her odometer, to have had only one oil change (NEW oil put in when the 3.14 was rebuilt at 167,000 miles in 1987) in her lifetime.

There is also a Carburetor Priming System that makes it possible to not have to crank the Starter to get gas to the Carburetor when the gas has evaporated from the Carburetor after sitting for a week or more. That's a problem here in Deep East Texas.

There are JPGs of these and some other things that would be of interest, I'm sure.

Anyway, thanks for posting the JPGs of Ms. American. She is going to be taking me out and about tomorrow.

Hope you are well. Take care. Stay safe.

JCAllison
Old 09-30-2021, 12:46 PM   #119
Hot Rod Reverend

glad to hear you both are alive and kicking!
Old 09-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #120
KULTULZ

Talking Re: The GREAT Ms. American 3.14159 Daily Driver Diary Caper

Quote:

Could you do me a favor and teach me how to upload JPG to Ford Barn? There are lots of little nuances of which there are JPGs, but sending them to YOU first and having you upload them is too convoluted.

JCAllison
I'll try -

At the bottom of the screen you are posting on is a box titled ATTACHMENTS. Open that and see if it makes any sense to you.

I don't mind transferring at all.

Anywho, the reason I am asking is that I was going through our old posts on ANOTHER FORUM and found a shot of your air cleaner/PCV SYSTEM. Being a CA car, it is different from 49 STATE but the photo was embedded with PHOTO-BUCKET so I was wondering if there is a clear shot.

Nothing special ...

- DISCLAIMER -