Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #21
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Bogus scammers

I agree with you Bill...you should be pissed.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
If the caller is a woman just ask "what are you wearing?" Works every time.

TerryO
Do it for both woman AND men. Should work great
Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #23
Bill G

When it comes to phone calls, nothing seems to stop them. I have tried playing their games, insulting them, giving false information, registering on the do not call list....everything. The calls just keep coming in. Now I even occasionally get a call on my cell phone. They are clever. They spoof area code and prefix numbers to make it appear to you that it is a local call. Now, if I don't recognize the number on my land line or if it is not someone in my contacts on my cell phone, I just let it go to voice mail. If it is someone who wants me bad enough they can leave a message. When they leave a message that tells me that they are from the IRS and that if I don't call them back immediately or an arrest warrant will be issued, I shake my head, laugh, and then hit the delete button. I have tried googling some of the numbers that they leave as a call-back, and more often than not, others seem to have gotten the same call. Well my, my, my.

I think it is interesting that my email provider can send 99% of the junk email that comes my way to a spam email folder. That helps a lot. You would think that with all the technology, the so-called phone providers would have a database of bogus phone call originators. Those guys can make thousands and thousands of calls and millions of emails in a short period of time. They are just working the numbers. It only takes that very occasional unsuspecting person to make their day. I cannot believe the stories I hear about people getting roped into sending the same scammer more and more money, all the while believing their lame stories. Always hoping for the payout, throwing good money after bad. I seem to have gotten on a soap box.

The Internet has helped this and other hobbies immeasurably. On the other hand this wealth of information is way too easy to get into the hands of the bad-guys.

We have to be diligent and use even more caution than mere common sense.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #24
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
I agree with you Bill...you should be pissed.
Yo' Buddy,
I'm not REALLY PISSED, they don't know when someone has passed away & PAT, could easily be a Mans' name.
I "sometimes" just LAFF at junk mail offers to them. I'm trying not to become a BITTER, OLD SHIT!
I have more important things to do, like, WHUT'S FOR BREAKFAST?
Bill Hungy
Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 AM   #25
RUNNERBUN

Don't appear to have much of a problem with telemarketers. I just put my best official police voice on and tell them that this is the Police Emergency Response Centre. Where did you get this private number and what is your emergency. Surprise surprise they all immediately hang up.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #26
Tinbasher

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I sell them restoration work as they've called my business and must be looking to get something done. Throws them right off.

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #27
a_crazy

Question Re: Bogus scammers

Have any of you ever done business with Phil Stalling classic cars in Utica,Ohio? they are advertised as a "BBB accredited "business... I am getting the feeling they are ok, but thought it would be wise to check with folks if they are a good company...
a_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #28
estout81
BANNED

a crazy,
Phill Stalling is OK if you consider car salesmen OK. Just like all dealers, Keep both eyes on them. If you need any help feel free to contact me as I live not far from him.
E. Stout
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:10 PM   #29
a_crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
a crazy,
Phill Stalling is OK if you consider car salesmen OK. Just like all dealers, Keep both eyes on them. If you need any help feel free to contact me as I live not far from him.
E. Stout
thank you ! I am still waiting on the bank to approve funds. I did get PRE approved . so hopefully things will go well . red tape sucks.
I get the sense they are good.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #30
SeaSlugs

Ahh the scams - nothings changed. Worst part is they would stop if people would stop falling for them...Local paper ran a story about a lady who got the IRS scam call but actually followed through and went to best buy and bought $600 of I tunes gift cars! Seriously? How and when was a gift card an accepted form of payment for anything but a Christmas present???

I get them several times a week and if its my cell phone and random number comes up i never answer it. If they arent in my contacts list I dont want to talk to you - if you want to talk to me leave a message and ill call right back. My work phone that doesnt have caller ID i have to answer it then just hang up on them. If its a person i mess with them or if they are looking for someone that does not work here or its very obvious a scam i say ill go find them then just set the phone down and walk away.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
Charlie Stephens

The sad thing is that as we get older we are not able to deal with this type of deceit. I am not there yet (I am only 74) but some of my friends are.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #32
CarlG

I got a call the other day from a guy that said that he had a report that my computer had been infected with a virus, and was offering to fix it for me (at a price, naturally). I told him that I didn't own a computer, to which he answered "What the f**k is that all about?". I just hung up. Same phone number called a couple days later, I just didn't answer it that time.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #33
a_crazy

"this phone is for my convenance , not yours". is what one guy I talk to said about telemarketers...lol personally if I don't recognize the number I don't answer.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #34
john charlton

I get called sometimes by a serious Indian gentleman who asks for Mr Charlton, he tells me he is from Microsoft and my computer has been compromised and is sending malicious spam to all computers in the known world ,even worse my computer also does this when switched off 24/7 !!! This does invite me to have a little fun . I adopt a very elderly shaky voice ( I am 78 so no problem) and tell the scammer to hang on a minute while I check with my nurse to see if indeed I am Mr Charlton today, I then shout DORIS!!! DORIS!!! in a loud aside voice and inquire . I then have to inform the caller that as I am not Mr Charlton today I cannot help him and hang up . Sometimes I advise the caller that they cannot speak to Mr Charlton, they then ask why not and I then say because he is dead, shocked silence then condolences etc etc . I reply no no no we are all overjoyed at his passing as everyone hated him with a passion and we had a street party to celebrate his passing the caller then hangs up . I had a lady scammer once who agreed to meet me at Mumbai airport and show me the sights , I was a no show .

John in very freezing more snow on the way Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 02-27-2018 at 03:16 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote