Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Anteek29

Default Turn Signals - '41 Pickup?

I want to install turn signals on my truck (6 volt). I have the switch, flasher and LED tail lights but not sure how to address the fronts. A fellow Barner suggested using the existing parking lights by putting in larger, brighter bulbs. If so, what bulb number would suit? Is there a Halogen or LED bulb that might also work? Guess I am trying to avoid mounting extra lights on the front of the truck (like fog style ones).

What have the rest of you done?
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Turn Signals - '41 Pickup?

just did that conversion on a 40 standard coupe using the regular parking light bulbs
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Joe Immler

X2 on alans comment. Parking lights work fine.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
drolston

If you make the front parking lights the turn signals, you will have turn signal but no parking lights, because the turn signal circuits must remain separate. No problem if you don't care about having parking lights. On my '41 coupe I wanted both turn and parking lights, so I replaced the front parking light lamp holders with double contact, two filament bulbs, like those used for rear driving/parking lights plus the brake light. I used a replacement front parking light wiring harness for a '42 Ford, which included the double contact socket. Took some finagling to install, but it works fine.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Anteek29

Nope...don't care to have parking lights. Want to convert them to turn signal lights.
1955 Victoria
Old 06-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
Paul Bennett

Just as the rear lights can make brake-turn lights use the same bulb, the front parking-turn can do the same. It really depends upon the turn switch and circuit which has been selected. Also, hazards lights can be effected with the same bulbs but again, it depends upon a switch to accomplish the proper circuitry.

Having a brighter bulb to mask the alternative function is a poor method as the turns will not be as clear as you would desire. But some settle for mediocre.

What you need is either a switch or relays or a bulb in a different location to change the function of a light to 'turn' from brake and/or parking. Sorry but the answer depends up the components which you have already chosen to use. Note that use of led turn lights presents a complication in that led turns require a special flasher as their current is inadequate to activate a normal flasher coil.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
41PICUP

On my 41, I used turn signal switch from Limeworks, and parking light lenses from C&G Ford parts, they when used with yellow bulbs work good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_2069.jpg (70.0 KB, 38 views)
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #8
Drbrown

On my '47 I did what drolston did .... replaced the single pole front sockets with double pole sockets (i.e. NAPA) and ran the directional kit's wires to them. I have to have parking lights in my state so I saw no simpler option. I use extra bright yellow bulbs so it really catches the eye of other drivers.

My direction wiring is off the brake light switch so all I had to do was tap the direction system into the rear brake light wiring. Because my tail/brake lights are so inconspicuous, I use extra bright bulbs. For the same reason, I added the thin strip LED directional/stop light from "Brakelighter; J & L Enterprises, Ellington CT 06029 (860) 916-3582. Check-out their web site. It flashes for the directional and brake functions. Attaches to my rear window glass with two small suction cups and catches the attention of drivers behind me .... a great safety feature and inconspicuous from the outside of the car.

Last edited by Drbrown; 06-10-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
41LjH

This is probably too radical for you and I don't know if you can find 6 volt parts to do it but;
I changed the headlights to a pair with integrated LED strips. The LEDs aren't real noticeable unless they are on. Then I isolated the turn signal and 4 way flasher circuits using diodes. I mounter two LED flashers and put a three way toggle switch under the dash for the turn signals and a on/off toggle switch in the glovebox for the 4 way flasher. The rears work with duel filament bulbs.
You can see them in the "walk around video" under my signature..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #10
Paul Bennett

Lj
I am jealous - one heck of a ride - class AAA - nice work bumper to bumper.
If your truck is ever missing, check my garage.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
Anteek29

Thanks guys for those great ideas!
1955 Victoria