Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
wingski

Default Is it a bad time to sell?

After installing a new Randy Gross F100 steering box, aligning the front-end, and getting my ’29 cabriolet running and driving perfectly, I put it up for sale again. I originally asked $16,500, but after putting more than another thousand into it, I’m now asking $17,500.

I thought I would get a lot of response with summer coming up, and it being a convertble. However, I haven’t got nearly as much response as I did when I advertised it for $16,500 a month ago. I’ve only had one guy who I think was a scammer respond to my ad on Craigslist.

I know that a lot of you are leary as hell about Craigslist and rightfully so. I’m not worried about scams because I will only sell my car for cash and even then I’d take that cash to the bank to have it verified and deposited before I turn over the title.

My question is: What’s going on? This car of mine is definitely rare and is in really good shape, and the pictures I posted with the ad show that. My asking price is very fair considering that MAFCA and MARC both consider the minimum value of a driving 1929 cabriolet to be a minimum of $25,000. I consider that to be high and have priced the car accordingly. Am I asking too little to get serious buyers and collector’s attention?

Is there something going on that makes it a bad time to sell something like the cabriolet? If there is, I’ll pull the ad and wait for a better time. However, I really don’t want to do that because I think that it’s the perfect time to sell a car like this.

You can look at my ad and see what you think. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6551823839.html

Any advice will be appreciated,

Mike
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
29spcoupe

Default Re: Is it a bad time to sell?

I mean no criticism towards your car, it is a fine example and am rather new to Model A's,
but the thing that jumps out at me is the color. I don't think this is an original color. Another problem is that there is a lot of Model A's for sale right now. It's a buyers market.
29spcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
WHN

The color could be one of your problems, also the non stock additions to you engine and engine compartment.

Having said that. I still feel your car is priced fairly. Please understand I am only going by pictures.

I would advertise it on Hemmings. We have had very good luck using them. Last car we sold in five days with three offers, one overseas.

I do believe the market is very good for stock Model A’s. The more original the better.

Your car has been customized to your tastes. It might not appeal to as large a group of buyers as a more stock car would.

I would try it on Hemmings at your asking price.

Nice car. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
slammin

Mike,
I noticed that you had it listed in the MAFCA classifieds before, but not now. That classified seems to have higher priced listing. No bites on your previous ad?
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
denis4x4

Just a quick comment on the color. Several years ago I went to the Clive Cussler Museum in Denver and noted that there were at least a dozen French classics from the thirties that were painted in pastels. Not correct, never the less very striking. I suspect if there is a woman involved in the decision to spend 17K on a toy, the color won’t detract from the deal.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #6
Gary WA

Never good time to sell a Model A!!,
Old 04-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #7
wingski

When I first advertised on MAFCA, I ended up running into the most persistent scammer ever. MAFCA strenuously warns about scammers and I’m glad it does because this guy or gal took up hours and hours of my time and totally pissed me off. The time and effort this person put into trying to screw me over was immense. I’ll never be able to figure out why someone would work so hard to mess someone else up when if they put that much effort into making their life better, they’d probably be very successful.

That said, nothing has been done to this car that couldn’t be fairly easily undone to make it appear original. Since the Canadian Vehicle Registration had the Briggs body number on it and being a Canadian car had no frame number, I don’t know if the original engine is in it or not. I do know that the engine was manufactured 7-12-29 and the body was 7-22-29 so they could match. Who knows?

When my wife and I first saw this car, it was hot and the sun was unbelievably bright. When that sunlight hit that blue paint, it glowed the most beautiful sky-blue we’d ever seen. I know it’s not a stock color for 1929, but at least it is a Ford color.
If my car was put side by side with a 1929 cabriolet painted that stock yellow, and the sun was out, my car would make that original yellow paint look pretty drab. It is almost impossible to make yellow paint drab, but my blue could do it. Since my car is a one-stage paint job, it didn’t cost an arm and a leg to paint it, and it wouldn’t cost a fortune to paint it the correct color. This car is so rust-free that it wouldn’t take that much to make it into a show car that might even win something. I’m not into that kind of thing at all because I’m not competitive. Besides that, I hate to lose, but I think that kind of competition is fine for others. Just not me.

I’m still amazed that an open car has survived as well as mine has, and I would think that anyone who knows how rare it is for one of these things to still look like this one does would be as well.

I’ve priced the cabriolet so someone who could never afford a rare car like this one can buy it and not have to put an exorbitant amount of money into the initial purchase price. I’m hoping that my car might be a starter car for someone who isn’t as old as god to get into the model A hobby. Wouldn’t it be nice to see someone driving this thing who didn’t have white hair or none at all?

By the way, it’s raining like mad and truly yucky outside so I am not taking time to write this that would be better spent playing with my car.

Thanks for responding guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
TerryH

I think you would attract more serious Model A buyers on Hemmings than Craig’s List. Many on Craig’s List May not know much about Cabriolet’s and how uncommon they are. I sold a friend’s Roadster for his widow on Hemmings several years ago, and was very happy with the responses.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
barnstuf

I have experience as a dealer selling antique Fords, although it was in my younger days. I found then the best time to sell an open car like a Cabriolet or Roadster or Phaeton was in the Spring. The cars that sold quickest had few if any accessories. A big big plus was a paint job in good condition, authentic colors, authentic stripe. Buyers want accessories to choose for themselves, not someone elses choice of accessories. A plain Jane type car with perhaps a motometer will sell fast if priced right. A car loaded with accessories is generally a slow mover in selling it. You mention that your car is Canadian. The interior photos did not show clearly enough for me to tell if it has Robertson screws or not.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingski View Post
After installing a new Randy Gross F100 steering box, aligning the front-end, and getting my ’29 cabriolet running and driving perfectly, I put it up for sale again. I originally asked $16,500, but after putting more than another thousand into it, I’m now asking $17,500...
The more $1000 you are going to put in it, the more difficult it will be to sell your car...
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #11
M2M

As others have said, put ads on MARC, MAFCA and Hemmings...that's your best bet. Your biggest problem I think is not your price or the paint colour but rather being located in the NW corner of the country...you're too far away for many potential buyers.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
wingski

I guess I could pull up the front seat to expose the Robertson screws and take a picture, but is that even important? I really don’t know if it is or not. After all the trouble I went through to get that car titled in Oregon, I guess I tried to forget all that.

About me living in the Northwest, I would think that with SKPE and all the other ways for a potential buyer to ask questions about the car and then be able to see immediately what they asked about on their phone or computer screen would be most satisfactory. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I’d do. Then, if I was truly interested in the car, I go see it or have someone who knows what to look for go see it for me.

I’m not selling a coupe, tudor, fordor, or roadster. I’m selling a car that is so much rarer than any of those cars are. They are all neat cars, but mine is one of the first convertibles ever made by Ford, and it is strange, weird, and unique, and it runs and drives great. For all I know, it might be one of the first ’29 cabriolets in Canada.

I’m only selling this car because I’ve discovered the hard way that I can no longer drive an old car like this for any long distance. I’ve gotten to the point where driving 100 miles in an antique car is too much for me. Arthritis sucks. It is about 150 miles round-trip to the beach and back, and I’ve made up my mind that I’m going to get something that at least looks like an A in which I can make that drive.

Mike
Old 04-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #13
updraught

I'd have a look at how Ford flogged an open car.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/c5...f078a2a2c6.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/21...30d97309ba.jpg

It's about creating an image of a lifestyle.

I'd lose the unfashionable aeriel things and the stone grill, and the engine in bits photos (too much hard work there!).

Top down pictures in the sun with flash boats and horses. It'll fit right in.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #14
slammin

Mike,
Model As are not a fast selling item. A lot of folks make a habit of bad mouthing eBay. But thousands of cars are bought and sold there. The key is a complete description and LOTS of photos. Like any selling venue, care must be taken to avoid be taken. Good luck.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #15
eagle

Put it on ebay. Or advertise it as looking to trade for a shay. Some on ebay right now, contact the seller and see if there is an interest in a trade.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #16
1931 flamingo

Even after buying mine 6 or 7 years ago, I still ck the ads every where every day, Hemmings each month. Prices (asking) seem high and/or ridiculous. Location is a BIG factor ! You're on the west coast, I'm on the east coast so if I give you what you're asking I then have to spend another 1500-2K to get it home. Right away I've crossed you off the list.
Another thing today with the recent ups/downs of the market many have lost confidence and are unwilling to pull funds to make a purchase.
Just saying. Good luck.
My avatar will be going on the block as soon as it warms up a bit, at a realistic price. If it sells it sells, if not I'll keep.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #17
ronn

I agree with all of the posts written. Location immediately cancels out my interest, because Like Paul, I am on the east in NJ.
I find much of Mafca pricing to be wishful thinking and in a perfect world, perfect prices.
Ebay will bring you back to reality. Doesnt matter what you think your car is worth, ebay will clarify that immediately according to supply and demand at the moment.
I also agree that you are a bit early in your sale. Warm weather makes everyone smile.
also agree, that as you improve the car and raise the price, you are shooting yourself in the foot. Price and quality sell.

Good luck!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #18
burner31

OK wingski, grab a cup of coffee and have a seat, because you are going to want to sit down for this.

Rule #1 of Model A ownership...do not expect to get all the time and money out of your Model A when you sell

Rule #2: Your Model A is not rare

Rule #3: See rule #1

There are many more rules to Model A ownership, but dwell on these three for starters
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
Bbobopuppy

1. you need better pictures and more of them.
2. I don't mean to disparage your car, it's probably great for what it is, but what I see is a car that was restored without attention to detail. Too much chroming, hanging too many reproduction accessories. It might be a great candidate for a complete restoration. Your car is in that spot where you either have to enjoy and accept it as it is, or face a restoration that cost more than the car is worth.
Bbobopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
Bob C

If you look at the chart in this link you will see that there are quite a few
cars that are rarer than the Cabriolet. http://www.mafca.com/data_production.html

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote