Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Fredb_

Default 38 Fordor hood hinge question

I have purchased two sets of these after market hinges in hopes of getting a decent fit. One set from Mac's and another set from a vintage outlet on eBay. Neither set works worth a darn. There is no adjustment to them unless I enlarge the mounting holes. Anyone have experience/advice for me? The hood needs to go back and down to fit. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38 Hinge_1.jpg (99.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Hinge_2.jpg (122.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Hinge_3.jpg (131.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Hinge_4.jpg (114.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Hinge_5.jpg (131.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 38 Hinge_6.jpg (119.4 KB, 20 views)
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 38 Fordor hood hinge question

For what it's worth, that 91A- part number represents 1939. That, along with two mis-matched crap reproductions from two different "far East" factories, and sold by two indifferent emporiums probably isn't helping matters. Bottom line, I don't know if '38 and '39s are the same, but something to consider. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Fredb_

The set I have on now is from the package pictured, but they appear identical to the set Mac's sold me.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Marv

Smile Re: 38 Fordor hood hinge question

They did not work on my 39 Standard either. Thanks to Kube i rebuilt my old ones and they work perfect.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Remove the rear 5/16" carriage bolt that is pressed in.
Enlarge the hole so it it's an oval shape about 1/2" wide.
This is what the '38 brackets had.
A 5/16" normal bolt should then be a loose fit.
This gives the adjustment for the side panels.
Use 7/16" hex bolts,nuts, 2 flat washers and 1 spring washer for each of the 2 holes at the front. ( not 5/16" bolts )
This helps the hood alignment.
This is what was used originally on '38's.
Regards,
Chris.NZ.

Last edited by swoopNZ; 05-29-2015 at 10:19 PM.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Fredb_

swoopNZ, that was what I figured my only option to be. I guess I was hoping for something easier. Wishful thinking again.....
Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Karl Wescott

Our experiences with the repro hinges is the mounting plate is kinda OK. The bends on the arms (which are critical to proper operation) are random at best.

The first thing to do is mount the brackets to the cowl. Then square up the bends on the arms next to the cowl mount bearing. The arm needs to move so the arc the ends move in a vertical plane parallel to the axis of the car.

The second step is to square up and true the width between the ends that mount to the hood. These need to be parallel to the ends on the cowl, and be the correct width right to left so they properly fit over the bearing sleeve on the hood.

Now, for giggles, test install the hood. It won't fit even by Yugo standards. Third step is to adjust the length of the rear arm only (with front arm unattached). This arm (length of arm, and position on cowl) sets the fit of the hood in the closed position.

The last step is to adjust the length of the front arm so the distance between the hinge side bearings and journals are the same in the down position. The hood should fit and operate correctly.

Hope this helps

Now
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
Our experiences with the repro hinges is the mounting plate is kinda OK. The bends on the arms (which are critical to proper operation) are random at best.

The first thing to do is mount the brackets to the cowl. Then square up the bends on the arms next to the cowl mount bearing. The arm needs to move so the arc the ends move in a vertical plane parallel to the axis of the car.

The second step is to square up and true the width between the ends that mount to the hood. These need to be parallel to the ends on the cowl, and be the correct width right to left so they properly fit over the bearing sleeve on the hood.

Now, for giggles, test install the hood. It won't fit even by Yugo standards. Third step is to adjust the length of the rear arm only (with front arm unattached). This arm (length of arm, and position on cowl) sets the fit of the hood in the closed position.

The last step is to adjust the length of the front arm so the distance between the hinge side bearings and journals are the same in the down position. The hood should fit and operate correctly.

Hope this helps

Now
Now see how simple that is.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Fredb_

Karl, thanks for the detailed process. I took a stab at changing the arm lengths before your post, but it didn't work so well. I have another set, so I may give your process a try....or I'll just shut the lid and drive it. )