Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
unclevinny

Default '59 ford 332 fe

redoing the stock cast iron heads on the 59 fe ford would like to get opinions on correct best valve and seat angle on exhaust and intake valve grind i am not HP just stock with edelbrock performer /and new 390 cfm holly carb, flamethrower dist. i have old sioux grinder and seat grinder btw using all new valves and cam is new with hyd lifters but is very close to stock lift and duration I just want it to run nice and efficient as possible.
unclevinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: '59 ford 332 fe

One degree of interference. We used to grind the valves at 44 and the seats at 45, then lap to see where you stand.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
streetdreams

Location: Howell, Michigan, USA, The Peoples Slightly Overspent Demodependancy of Michigan

Hardened exhaust seats ?
streetdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
unclevinny

yes hardened seats and had new guides on exhuast and machined stem towers for the new style seals on everything what about the intake seat and valve angle ?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
unclevinny

thanks fprthe numbers on the exhaust so many articles were suggesting the 3 angle for better flow but i don't think i am that nicely set up for accurate grind like that!
Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Ole Don

The three angles are to narrow the seat. One can also grind the valve to 45 at the seat, and 30 under where it seats to improve flow. A bit of blue, or very light coating of paint, will help in this. There is free horse power available at this stage, but it is time intensive. Then, a bit of pocket porting, shave off all the bumps in the ports, match the ports to the gaskets, the sky is the limit.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
blucar

You might not need to replace the valve seats with hardened seats.. Ford used a lot of hardened seats in their engines.. Another side to the hardened seats vs regular, as a general rule regular seats will last 40k running unleaded fuel. The question then arises, how long will it take to put 40k on the average vintage vehicle?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
unclevinny

Bill I don't know i if I have 40'00 left in me ......... so the 40k is a safe bet anyway i go i did my exhaust with the 44 degree to the 45 seat all sets in the hole nice. measures up good and spring install highth is exactly right so on those i am pleased i have already cleaned the ports and smoothed as much as i dared to so hope it adds a bigger purr to the fe I appreciate your input because it reinforces my thinking too after all i will need some money when i get to where ever the vintage takes me Right?

Vince 58 ford ranchero
Old 11-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
unclevinny

thanks Ole Don i just went with the 44 too 45 degree app on the exhaust and it was the prettiest valve job i ever did so i will stay there i also cleaned up the rough spots in the ports nothing was too high or too deep there but i know it should help. the new valves make it easier to work with too nothing is showing bad on them yet i have had new engine parts in the past not perfect in the past maybe be cruising with the ole ranchero this spring thanks again

Vince and my danged ole 58 ranchero