Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
GT66PONY

Default What to do with all these parts

I got to the point that my truck is running good, I am ready to put the cab on. I started to sort the many boxes out! There is so much stuff. There are shocks, Moto-meter , fuel gauges. spark plugs, bags of bolts. There are all the old bolts and new ones. wiring harnesses. and tools of one kind and another carburetors and distributors . There are gaskets and bearings. There are wood blocks and rubber blocks. There are king pin reamers and drivers. There are springs and screws and rivets. there are new parts that I know that I do not need. There are plates and brackets. There are hoods and doors and fenders. There are books and papers There is an extra radiator There is an extra set of wheels There is an extra tranmition!!
The question is how do I start to sort this all out?? What is it and do I need it?? What to do with the things I do not need?? Do I use the old parts or the new??? Do I use the old sediment bowl or the new glass one??? Do I use the old bolts or new ones? Some of this stuff I have no idea what it is!!! Any advice ,Suggestions, Ideas I am kind of overwhelmed
Thanks an advanced for your advice
GT66PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
gardon

Default Re: What to do with all these parts

Do you have a friend who is a Model A nut? If so, ask his advise.
gardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Tiny

Use original Ford parts when ever you can. Rebuild and recondition them. If you have to, use quality repo stuff. As far as the stuff you don't need, leave it in my driveway and I'll add it to my early Ford Hoard!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Head to the nearest swap meet and display a big Model A Ford Parts sign. Better take a cashier with you.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
Bob C

Never get rid of anything because if you do two days later
you will need it.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Manager

If you are yet to get the cab on you are a bit away from getting rid of anything yet. I would be keeping it all till you have the thing on the road. And then MAYBE as suggested take some stuff to a swap meet.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
GT66PONY

Thank, I plan on keeping it till it is on the road, But I am afraid that I will start putting the stuff together and have to take it back apart because I missed something. There is so much stuff that I have no idea what it is! I did not take this truck apart!
Thanks
Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Redbird

Sent you an email.
John F
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
Bill in SoCal

Find your local Model A club. They will be glad to help you. They can tell you what the stuff is worth - if you decide to sell any of it. They can help you put things together, too. Have fun, Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Never get rid of anything because if you do two days later you will need it.
Bob
Case in point: A mate of mine was given a parts car for his station wagon. He stripped everything that he could imagine needing off it. Nowhere in his wildest imagination did he think he'd ever need the side windows of the wagon section, so they went to the dump with the carcase of this parts car.

Shortly after this he was loading his tractor onto a tandem trailer hitched to his wagon. Long story short - the trailer lifted the load off the back wheels of the car, which started to roll down a hill with him sitting on the tractor on the trailer. One of those slow motion nightmares! The trailer jack-knifed (luckily!) and sent the tractor through the side rear window of the wagon, which was about the only part of the car damaged in the incident!!

Moral: Get a bigger shed!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Mikeinnj

Where are you located? Perhaps a Fordbarn member lives nearby and can help you .

I would start by building shelves and placing all the related items together, such as a box for distributor parts , one for carb and fuel supply parts, etc.

Mark each box and put them on the shelf in alphabetical order A to Z .

Look in some of the free parts catalogs like Snyder's, Brattons; etc. to see illustrations and part numbers to help identify and price the parts.

Good luck !
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
31 Woody

I am with Bill, join a club, make some friends with model A experience, and then decide. No real hurry.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT66PONY View Post
The question is how do I start to sort this all out?? What is it and do I need it?? What to do with the things I do not need?? Do I use the old parts or the new??? Do I use the old sediment bowl or the new glass one??? Do I use the old bolts or new ones? Some of this stuff I have no idea what it is!!! Any advice ,Suggestions, Ideas I am kind of overwhelmed
Thanks an advanced for your advice
OK take a breath.

99.9 percent of the time original parts is better then a reproduction part. and yes that goes for bolts.

The point one is for most rubber parts.

Get out your vendor books to see about the parts you don't know, or your camera and post the pics here.

Keep and restore major assemblies to reduce the down time if something were to fail in the future.

Be sure of which models the other parts fit and either sell them or contact the major clubs to see if they know of and youngsters restoring a vehicle and give the parts to them.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
Where are you located? Perhaps a Fordbarn member lives nearby and can help you .

I would start by building shelves and placing all the related items together, such as a box for distributor parts , one for carb and fuel supply parts, etc.

Mark each box and put them on the shelf in alphabetical order A to Z .

Look in some of the free parts catalogs like Snyder's, Brattons; etc. to see illustrations and part numbers to help identify and price the parts.

Good luck !
yea i would organize what you have, and anything you are just not sure of put in a box of miscellaneous stuff that maybe a nearby model a guy can help you figure out what is what.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #15
GT66PONY

Hey guys
Thanks for all the great advice, I will take it!! I have a 26X46 garage! But I also have five collector cars, Tractors, tools And all the other stuff that I am interested in! I am also a pack rat ! Some of the stuff will not even fit my truck, So that stuff I will try to trade for parts I know I need or sell it and buy the parts I need!
Again thanks again!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #16
Pilotdave

I had a similar issue: lots of parts so poorly organized that it's often been easier to run to the nearby Model A parts emporium than to find an on-hand part that I KNOW I've got. I collected a bunch of small boxes and then sorted and labeled parts.... As a result stuff can now be found. And shared. I like the idea of offering spares to members of one's club!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #17
Vern

When I bought my roadster back in '92, the seller gave me bags & boxes of stuff, some of which didn't go on a '28 roadster. I got involved with the San Diego Model A club and had Ray Beardslee come over and help me assemble the car. We sat for a couple of afternoons sorting stuff; gas tank clips for '30 cars, wood bed bolts for pickups, things that I didn't need. When I asked Ray what do I do with all these extras, he replied that these are what you take to the next swap meet!
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
Rowdy
BANNED

Figure out what you need and what is extra. Keep some mechanical parts for possible future use and sell the rest to help pay for paint etc. Rod