Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Stretch Cab

Default A Good Wife

I'm sitting in my easy chair after finishing a cup of coffee. My wife is at work, she's a nurse.

I text her that I'm on my way to the shop to work on the old car. She texts back, "Love you, enjoy ur shop time".

Will be 36 years of marriage this year. I proposed to her after taking a ride in my dad's 31 deluxe roadster. I guess we started out right!

We still have the roadster too.............................................

(Thinking) I hope it was me she was after????
Stretch Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: A Good Wife

Congrats to you both!!! I hope your next 36 years together is even better!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Sounds like you and I are both lucky men. While you and your wife have almost double the amount of years than my wife and I, that sounds very familure. Rod
Old 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
spdway1

YES, you have a great wife!! Mine just says "Good Bye" LOL!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Ray in La Mesa

I'm the luckiest of all, my wife has had her Model A two years longer than I've had mine! Our first event together was to pull the differential out of her '31 coupe to determine why 600W was coming out the wheel bearings, I won't go into why! We do Model A events together and apart depending on our scheduals. I can't go to a swap meet WITHOUT her! She now has two A's and I have two A's, plus the rusty yard art '28 coupe/rusty farm truck on the front lawn.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Bill Lee/Virginia

My wife is a Model A gal. Before we were married, we took many cruises along the Virginia Colonial Parkway between Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown Virginia in my Cabriolet. I think she loved Model A Fords before she did me. After admiring a Model A Ford Speedster at a car show, I said, " Since I am retired, I would like to build one from scratch rather than from a kit". She replied, "You build it and I will pay for it". After a 5 year construction period building the car together, side by side, we now cruise the Parkway in a beautiful vermillion red speedster.
Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Bill Lee/Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Ed H.

Congrats on the wife, mine is also a nurse, when I was teaching flying or just going to the airport to shoot the breeze she always said have fun.
Marriage is like a job, you have to work to keep it.
BTW we have 38 yrs coming up. Would do it all over again.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
spike

we just had our 50th together and when you are a good pair it is wonderful. If your wife doesnt have a interest in the old cars it is a rough road to go, but when you are a team the sky is the limit. Been the best years of my life and hope to have many more.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
gardon

This year is our 50th. We attribute it to the fact that we were friends first and we still are.
gardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
johnsor

My wife, also a nurse, has no interest at all in my Model A's, but doesn't "blink an eye" no matter what I may spend on the hobby.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
denis4x4

My wife is a serious quilter and she does her thing and I do mine. A really good sewing machine is twice the price of a rebuilt engine so I never have to justify my expenses to her nor does she have to make excuses for her expenses. It's worked great for almost 40 years!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
dean from bozeman

On Tuesday my wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary...I celebrated selling Model A parts in Lexington...she celebrated doing chores in and around our barn. Actually she was okay with the whole trip that I am on (back on Tuesday). Our barn was a dairy barn. It is now used as a place to rent for weddings, family reunions, etc.

The basic point being that she blessed my trip to the MARC national meet. Yes, I, too, have a fine wife!
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
mhsprecher

Last summer when I went to look at the Model A I now own, I took my wife of four months with me. When she saw it, she said, "It is beautiful. I love it." We'll, I guess there is not much to do or say after that other than to start to negotiate. She is an enthusiastic partner in this venture. I am lucky in many, may ways.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Rock Hornbuckle

If I married one of my girlfriends, I would have to get ride of the other. So, I'll just keep 'em both. They pay for their Medical coverage, saves me enough money to buy another Model A, and I don't have to listen to anybody with a 'to-do' list.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
QGolden

Yup, Good wives are hard to come by. My Bride of nearly 30 years is one of the best. She has always been supportive of any hair-brained, half witted, over the top idea I have come up with. She supports me working in my shop building my current Speedster. The last project that came out of my shop was an Ultralight Aircraft that I built and flew. She even first spotted my last toy, a '68 Chevy Pickup, and told me about it..

When we were fist married, I was into Motorcycles, it was a lifestyle for me. Houses and Kids replaced the bike and I had a few beaters, but could not afford a nice one. Every spring when the new Harley brochures came out, we would invariably have this conversation: "Do you think this is the year we get a new Harley?" "Nope, not this year Honey" was always the reply, "we need to replace the"...Floor, deck, car, roof, fill in the need here. After about 15 years things got easier and one day after the annual question, she replied: "Do we need a brand new one? Can we find a used one, maybe a year old?." Worked for me, off lease Police issue Harley's are only a year old and often only have a few thousand miles on them. Well I found a Road King with 2000 miles on it, a Chiefs bike from a neighboring town, and we bought it. 6 months later we are in the Harley shop for one reason or another. I am chewing the fat with the salesman that sold my bike to me. He spies my wife over in the corner sitting on a bike. So we walk over and she is sitting on a two year old Superglide, Bright Red, Flame Pinstripes, well Chromed and optioned. "I like this bike" she said. I said, well yes, it is nice, you need different handlebars for your reach, Maybe some forward controls, but when you are ready for your own bike, that would be a good model for you to consider. This Woman who bore me 6 children, and I thought I knew pretty well looks me right in the eye and says, "You evidently did not hear me, I said I like THIS Bike".

Friends, it took me 15 years to get a new Bike, took her one trip to the Harley Dealer. Oh well, it was worth it, we sure had a good time touring on those Harley's.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Duffy1

I have had my 31 s/w for year and a half . I am finding out why model A are so expensive . For every dollar I spend on the model A my wife spends the same on the house . So far she has remodeled the kitchen and two bath rooms. She can not wait until I get a HC head and new evaporator for my AC. No wonder she was excited when I bought my model A. Its all about compromise.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
glenn in camino

My wife, Sharon and I will be married 50 years in July. We moved from SoCal to Camino in the NorCal foothills about 7 years ago and she allowed me to build my dream garage next to our house. We have 6 Model As that I spend most days maintaining and restoring. Sharon is the President of our Model A Club, The Hangtown A's in nearby Placerville. We will spend our 50th at Catalina Island and in October we're going to England. I think I'll keep her.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
Ted Duke

I have one of those! 53 years, but who is counting. Three years ago I told her I was thinking of selling my 29 RPU which was in 1000 pieces (restoration started in 1971, but delayed by life), and my 1961 CORVAIR 700 because I didn't have any place to work on them.
She said, "Build something."
I said, "That would probably cost $20k"
She said, "Can we afford that?"
I said, "Yes, but that's a lot of money."
She said, "Build what you need and get that Model A finished."
Building is finished, RPU in progress.

There is NOTHING like a good woman!
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee/Virginia View Post
My wife is a Model A gal. Before we were married, we took many cruises along the Virginia Colonial Parkway between Yorktown, Williamsburg and Jamestown Virginia in my Cabriolet. I think she loved Model A Fords before she did me. After admiring a Model A Ford Speedster at a car show, I said, " Since I am retired, I would like to build one from scratch rather than from a kit". She replied, "You build it and I will pay for it". After a 5 year construction period building the car together, side by side, we now cruise the Parkway in a beautiful vermillion red speedster.
Bill Lee/Virginia Peninsula
Are you going to show any pictures of your speedster?
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #20
Rock Hornbuckle

I'm amazed at how married men need 'permision' or their wives 'let' them purchase something. I had two wives that cost me over $850,000. Now I can have anything I want, including cars, and nice looking young girlfriends. I drove up to an ex-wifes house (a house that I bought) to give her my last check, while driving a classic Rolls that I was now able to afford. Got tired of wives spending my money! That was fifteen years ago, now life is sweet.

Congrats if you found a good one, I never did.

And what does this thread have to do with Model A questions?
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rock Hornbuckle; 06-30-2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote