Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
Mike..Yorba Linda

Default Upholstery experts...

Never bought a Cartouche kit. Will it come with foam? For a ‘56 Ford F100.....Thanks...
Mike..Yorba Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Upholstery experts...

Can you contact the seller / supplier and ask them?
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
54vicky

if no you may contact an upholsterer near yourself as I am sure they only supply the cloth as most do.you may find the foam will need to be shaped from a slab using an electric knife type tool then sanded into shape. good luck
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Mike..Yorba Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
if no you may contact an upholsterer near yourself as I am sure they only supply the cloth as most do.you may find the foam will need to be shaped from a slab using an electric knife type tool then sanded into shape. good luck
Thanks....I had a hard time contacting the company....
Old 08-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
F-ONE

The Cartouche kit for my F1 came with plenty of polyfill , a thick fiber pad and some burlap. The thick padding was to replace the ziz-zag spring that was in the original seat padding. This zig-zag spring is loose and is not part of the actual spring set, it 's very light gauge and just held the old padding together.

You will probably need to rebuild the springs. It's very simple. just align the springs on the frame and clamp. Some very heavy duty zip ties can work, twisted wire or hog rings. Just make sure nothing is protruding up to puncture through the seat.

Expect some breaks in the main perimeter spring. These can be repaired with steel or stainless steel brake line tubing. The tubing can be slid over the break connecting it back together. You can silver or tin solder, clamp or epoxy these in place.

Inaddition to the pad and ploy fill, some will use comforters,quilts or sleeping bags from the thrift stores to provide more padding. Some have used this instead of the loose poly fill.
I just used what was in the kit. It was more than enough.
I had never done any upholstery work before this seat. It's not perfect but I'm very happy with it.

I believe in '56 they were still using the old design seats. In the 60s and up is when you get into the shaped foam. I know it was like this on my '50 F1.
Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

You can get foam of the thickness and weight to suit your comfort at a furniture re-upholsterer or car interior/convertible top installer. If you are doing this yourself, I suggest repairing any broken springs and clamps in the cushions first, then hog-ring down a sheet of vinyl over the cushion springs so that your new foam material won't crush down below the springs when you sit on them. The easiest part of the job is hog-ringing the new custom-fit seat covers down over your freshly restored cushions. If using leather or simulated leather material, spread the set covers out on the concrete driveway in the sunlight prior to beginning installation so they are easier to stretch over the cushions and avoid wrinkling the material.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 PM   #7
Mike..Yorba Linda

Great! Thanks for the info....
Old 09-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #8
fordor41

we just did our '60 that had custom vinyl covers. the springs on the drivers side were really compressed, I assume from a heavy driver. We wove paracord thru the tops of the springs, tying at each spring . We did it side to side and front to back, covered springs with a cheap throw rug from the dollar store, added foam foam and reinstalled the covers'
that brought the seat back up to original height.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote