Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
some mech 3

Default Transmission Gears Locked

After I lifted the Shifting Tower on my 1930 Roadster to inspect possible damaged gears I have been unable to get the two neutral gears in position so I can reinstall the tower. I have hand-cranked the engine to check the condition of the teeth on the gears and the main shaft and the cluster turn smoothly. But I cannot move the neutral gears horizontally to get them in the correct position. I have tried the various suggestions on several Ford Barn postings. None worked. I have changed the lubricant. I checked the shift tower, itself. I 'have the rear wheels jacked up, but that doesn't help. I can't get the transmission into gear so that I can rock the wheels because when I lifted the tower the transmission was in neutral. I will try any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Some Mech3
some mech 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Transmission Gears Locked

The rearmost sliding gear has slid too far rearward and two gears are locked at once. Generally speaking, someone needs to hold the clutch pedal down to disengage the input shaft while one person is pushing the sliding gear forward. It may actually take a 3rd person rocking the wheel that is jacked-up to allow the gear to move back into the neutral position.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Patrick L.

Have you tried blocking the clutch pedal down with a 2x4 between the pedal and seat riser then pry on the sliders with a couple screwdrivers to get them in the position ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
some mech 3

To all you who offered suggestions for unlocking the gears, the gears are free and the shift tower is installed. I can't tell you how appreciative I am. I probably used a little of everyone's suggestions. Enjoy your Model A"s.
Some Mech 3
some mech 3 is offline   Reply With Quote