Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
jhowes

Default metalergy

A post some time ago showed a frame being straightened by heating the frame below the motor mount to rather high temperature and then letting it cool and shrink back to it's correct place making the frame straight again. My question has to do with the temperature and cooling with oil or water, what does the cooling do to the metal? I can measure the temperature with my infrared temperature gun. If I gas weld the old frame horns on the front of the frame, do I use a more rapid cooling technique or not. Why did I hear some 70 years ago about people hammering charcoal into red hot iron? Was this only done to make a edge that could be sharpened? How about springs, can they be heated without taking away from the spring of the steel? Just an old man curious. Thanks, Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
100IH

Default Re: metalergy

The answer is in your title. Different alloys respond to the heating and cooling, water vs. oil in their own predictable way. I think it's only science if you know what the metallurgy (alloy) is.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Simonpie

You're mixing two different processes. The "heat and quench" and carbon deposition (case hardening) are to change the hardness and strength of the metal. Straightening isn't really dependent on the cooling rate so much as the shape of the area you heat. I'd scan some welding or metalworking books or even Utube for a good description. I've seen it done on angles and I beams, but I'd think a C channel would need a slightly different technique. Also, I've usually seen it done to take a "wow" out of a flange, not to take out a bend across the whole area of a beam. I'm not saying it can't be done, just haven't seen it.
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
jhowes

If you look at the 12-23-Res731 post #5, you sill see what has prompted my question. It was mentioned in that thread that the cooling process had not been done (or something like that) so I questioned if oil, water, or air cooling is the way to go and why, what happens to the metal? Sorry I am stupid on this subject, thanks for your reply. Jack
Old 02-27-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Be carful when heating the metal, cherry red is too much heat and you can make things worse.

Look here;

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=11

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211340
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168668
Old 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
jhowes

Thanks Mike, I think I am ready to give it a try. I still don't know about cooling with water, salt water, oil, or anything else. I think I will let it air cool. Jack
Old 02-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
CarlLaFong

As a general rule, I never cool metal with any oil, water or any other artificial means. In nearly every case, it will induce brittleness. Springs and other heat treated items are a different kettle of fish. The best advice for these sorts of parts is, don't.

Last edited by CarlLaFong; 02-27-2018 at 07:04 PM.
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
A post some time ago showed a frame being straightened by heating the frame below the motor mount to rather high temperature and then letting it cool and shrink back to it's correct place making the frame straight again. My question has to do with the temperature and cooling with oil or water, what does the cooling do to the metal? I can measure the temperature with my infrared temperature gun. If I gas weld the old frame horns on the front of the frame, do I use a more rapid cooling technique or not. Why did I hear some 70 years ago about people hammering charcoal into red hot iron? Was this only done to make a edge that could be sharpened? How about springs, can they be heated without taking away from the spring of the steel? Just an old man curious. Thanks, Jack
Do an internet search for "flame straightening technology". Gobs of info!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Thanks Mike, I think I am ready to give it a try. I still don't know about cooling with water, salt water, oil, or anything else. I think I will let it air cool. Jack
All I can do is point you to those that do this for a living. You can do it any way you like.