Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #81
[email protected]

Default Re: '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
CORRECT! You want no sag on the fourth main so it stays on the same line as the other three. I did mine on the blocks as well and used my chain hoist to lift half the total weight and set #4. Its always worked for me, but with a rotating stand its a breeze... Now about that skanky girlfreind... pictures!! ws
The skank didn't show up! I don't know why but I sure as hell don't miss her. I'd seriously as soon take a swift kick in the nuts as to have to look at that piece of ____. Oops, I hope I haven't offended anyone.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #82
fordman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wee Hawwwww. Our good friend farmallcub49 of Oso Handy Restorations just called me as I was finishing up my last post and said he had already found me a replacement brake drum and that he'd bring it to our Great Northern Model T Club meeting tomorrow. I can't begin to say how great that makes me feel.

It's this type of thing that becomes a testament for the benefits of belonging to a local club. I've already become aware that Model T owners are a special type of person. They travel at a little more comfortable pace and I think that eliminates a lot of the anxiety that other people feel and display on a daily basis. And it's that ability to make sure cooler heads prevail in moments of anxiety that makes them nicer people in the long run. Though I've always been anxious and a lot of times I become too emotionally involved when things don't go according to plans, I only need to bring up what's going on to one of my model t friends and it seems the issues iron themselves out in a matter of seconds.

And I'd also like to speak to the fact that there are a lot of other benefits to belonging to a local club. First and foremost is the friendships that are forged between people who have a common interest. Second is the amount of knowledge and resources that become available through the club. Third is the social activities that give me, a single person, the opportunities to go once a month and be with other club members. The meetings are fun and the food is always excellent. Fourth are the opportunities to take our model ts out as a group and see the world at that slower pace that seems so welcome when everything else in life moves so fast and can be so hectic. A person sees a lot of country at 65 mph but gets to see the details much better at 30 mph. And 5th is the acceptance and interest that is shown by non-model t owners. There's nothing in the world like talking to people about our hobby and explaining how we drive something with 3 pedals, 2 levers on the steering column, 1 lever that comes through the floor, a knob that comes through the dash that adjusts the carburetor and a piece of wire that sticks through the firewall that we choke the engine with when were starting the vehicle. Couple all that with a crank, a fuel cutoff valve and a choke that also comes out of the front of the hood by the side of the radiator and you've got a vehicle that obviously takes talent and skill to operate and requires dedication to the model t hobby. Thank you Henry Ford.

Boy oh Boy,i wish i lived there.our club around here is dreadful...One guy rules the thing and if u dont suck up to him and jump when he tells u then u are screwd.The dude is a back stabbing louse.I dont know who likes him but his buddies.I should go in and bring in all my friends and drive him out.we need a good T club...maybe i should just start my owm...Mike,Bill.wanna be my first two members?
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #83
[email protected]

Heck ya, I'll join your club. But you have to understand up until now the only thing I've been able to do for our club here is have one of the monthly get- togethers at my house. I haven't had the knowledge or parts to offer yet. I'm getting better at some of the mechanical stuff but still have a ways to go before I'm ready to offer my services to anyone just yet. So far I've worked on a lot of different projects and I'm gaining confidence in my work but I've got a long way to go before I'll volunteer my services to some unsuspecting victim. But ya, talk to your buddies that are sick of whoever the Nazi is you've got running club and strike out on your own. I've got to truthfully say, there might be a few guys in our club that could be like that but I don't know who they would be. We've got a lot of great guys in our club. I don't know what the other clubs in the state might be like but I've got my suspicions. There's a reason we have the Minnesota Nice reputation. But you have to understand, any of the resources we've got as a result of our club membership is available to anyone who looks for it. Bill has become well acquainted with our in-club supplier and one of our resident gurus. Truth is we've got a lot of other guys that have an awful lot of knowledge too. With my club membership, this forum and guys like Andy and Will there's not too much I'm not willing to try in my own. Geez, I think we must have 5 or more guys who rebuild coils. And they test them with stroboscopes and the old hand crank testers. So we can pretty much trust the quality of their work. Yep, membership has it's priveleges.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #84
[email protected]

No work on model t's today. The grandkids are here and we're going to head for the mall in a little while. First their Dad's going over to fix my other son's dishwasher. My God if they were both 15 years younger I'd have something to worry about. It's kind of hard to believe it only took them 35 years before they quit making me scared for the fine citizens of this fair state.
Let's go.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #85
[email protected]

Well it's a cloudy, chilly day today. And I know I'll be happy to have a heater in the shop. Today is going to be a good day for putting the 4th main and the oil pan on. Maybe I'll even get to the hogshead before I'm done. I know I've got a problem in the fact I'm missing some pan bolts and possible one of the nuts too. I lost the bolts that hold the magneto coil on and ended up having to grind and drill some of the pan bolts to be able to do the job. So I'll either have to go to "Handymans Hardware" or see if Andy can help me out. Handymans is closer. But first I gotta go get Poncho and his buddy Patches and bring them over for the day. I'll check back tonight.
Let's go.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #86
[email protected]

Didn't get a GD thing done in the shop today. I can't afford to have too many more like it. i didn't have sense enough to oil soak the rope seals for the front of the crank like I was supposed to and I can't put the pan and the timing cover on until I soak them overnight. So i put them in oil and I worked at trying to get a generator put together for the '26 Tudor. That ended up being a failure because I couldn't find some of the screws and I didn't know if the generator was any good or not so I took the gear off and used what was there to plug the hole that was left where I had taken a different junk generator out. Then I fired it up and went for about a 2 hour drive around here. Then came back, ate half a pizza and drank a couple bottles of Michelob and now I'm ready for bed. Tomorrow's another day.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #87
yachtsmanbill

Ya know theres a big difference between loose screws and losing them, right?? Wheres all those fasteners going? Are you sure yer not in the Twilight Zone??? I may hafta send to a coffee can full for a birthday present! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #88
[email protected]

Will, in a month I'm going to be 62 years old. I've waited for it for about the last 47 years. And now it feels like nothing more than a sad time in my life. Most people reach these sunshine years and rejoice. I hang my head and feel severe fatigue, stress and a great sense of loss. I wake up every morning, sit on the edge of the bed and stare at the floor and the sadness wells up inside me. All joy in my life is gone. And I've found the greatest cause for this despair is that I can't find the GD bolts. So leave it alone. It's not fun or funny to have to always wonder how much worse the senility and dementia is going to get before "He" comes to get me.

On a lighter note I was able to get the front timing cover all the way on with the timer rotor on the end of the camshaft and the front pulley on the front of the crankshaft before I realized I hadn't put a gasket under the f'ing cover. Right now I'm so pissed off I could squeeze a grape with one hand.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #89
yachtsmanbill

At 77, old Walt from across the street comes over and tells me his doctor has diagnosed him with the onset of Alzheimers. He's kinda bummed out about that. Actually I dont see it; he's pretty astute yet! My aunt found my 99 year old grandmother DOA standing at the bathroom sink washing up in the morning with the water running. Thats the way I wanna go. She was getting dressed to drive herself to church. Im <57 and my old man drowned at 58... I see him in me all the time and wonder if he was hurting as much. He never bitched about it tho... The coffee can of screws is on the house by the way! I can spend 3 hours looking for a part, see something else and go work on that and then later on see the missing part right where I looked/left it the day before... Yer not alone pal! ws
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #90
[email protected]

And now I'm in the garage and the shit is hitting the fan. Lightning, thunder, rain, hail, wind and toronado's. Oh wait, I guess they mean tornados. It sounds like Andy is really catching hell. If this pissin hail dents my truck me and somebodies gonna have to have a talk.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #91
[email protected]

Shit now it's coming in the garage door. I'm gonna go eat supper. To hell with it.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #92
[email protected]

Before I left the garage I set the oil pan on and snugged it down with a couple bolts . Then I stood it on end and set the 4th main on and the bolt holes lined up dead on with good clearance around it. So I'm probably going to have to quit for the day. When I work for to long on the thing my arms start to get really sore. I think I'm dealing with some arthritis in my shoulders and elbows. That and the fact I'm old and fat and out of shape pretty much limits my time I can spend on things. At any rate I'm hoping to set the hogshead on tomorrow and get the bands and pedals all set up. I'd really like to have the engine sitting in the body by Friday and spend this weekend finishing things up. I took the sedan over to the hardware store today to get some RTV. I think the lady there was trying to make friends with me. I'm not sure but lately when I go in there she always makes sure she helps me before anyone else can. ??? At any rate Things are looking up a little around here. However I can't get rid of the feeling I forgot to do something before I set the oil pan on.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #93
yachtsmanbill

Take her for a spin in the chick magnet... MILF magnet? COUGAR COUPE??? Tell her its got the biggest back seat she'll ever see, just get a tetanus shot first... the other shots come later LOL !! Go on... ask her out! She'll probably get a discount on small screws and such... ws (sorry pal, its my turn!)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #94
[email protected]

And all of a sudden it all makes sense. I think she's my neighbor. Well not next door but she lives in the park. If it's who I think it is I've met her husband. They bought the house one street over. I kind of feel sorry for them because they bought a house that a bunch of lowlifes cooked meth in up until last spring. That's when the cops came in and shut their operation down. All the furniture was taken out of the house and thrown out in the front yard and sat there until last fall. Then it went on the market. The same carpeting and sheetrock and insulation all the other innards that were there when they busted them. Shouldn't that stuff be cleaned out of there. The morons were cooking meth in there for over a year. It's really to bad they didn't burn the place down with them in it. But there were kids in there and they would have either died or lost the only parents they knew. Pretty sad deal because I guess the kids are under someone elses care now anyway. At any rate now I feel sorry for the new people. And I didn't know she works at the Hdwe store. Anyway she's no one I'd be interested in. Besides I've got absolutely no need for a woman in my life. When it get's to the point I need a woman in my life for a little while it's a short drive into St Cloud to rent one.

I guess a week from today they're going to try to get a bunch of old cars from the teens and twenties together to go up to a campground in town to show off. I'm going to drive my sedan. If anybody asks I'll just tell them it was a rat rod before anyone knew what a rat rod was. It's hard to believe there's such a thing as a 1940's rat rod. Really I'm just hoping it'll make the trip without breaking down. I've never had it more than 5 miles from the house. Last night however I drove it nonstop around here on the backroads for over an hour. I'll just remember to throw a toolbox, jack and some antifreeze in the back seat.
Let's go.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #95
[email protected]

So far today has been spent mowing lawn, trimming around everything and now I'm going out to work on spraying some roundup on some weeds around the house and then I've got a couple of rings out in front of the house that I need to work up and then plant some herb, I mean flowers in them. I wish I had the engine done so I could go shooting today. I'm going out later this afternoon and work on the engine again.
Let's go.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #96
yachtsmanbill

Cant wait to see the pics of the flowers (tops!). Go with fish emulsion!! ws
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #97
[email protected]

Naw, I'm not to exotic with growing stuff. If they can't make it with potting soil and miracle grow then I'll just go ahead and let the weeds have it. At any rate I planted a bunch of marigolds.

Here's a little story about marigolds. 4 years ago my wifes sister hosted the entire Southern Minnesota diocese. Every year they ask one of the farms to host the diocese and everybody and their brother shows up including every priest and nun and the bishop. As part of the decorations she planted a large flower garden out where they were going to put the haywagons that would hold the altar. My sister in law also wanted to put a large stained glass cross about 5 feet tall and 3 feet across. She had designed it herself and asked me to build. Once it was done she had her son build a mahogany frame to go around it. I probably put 60 hours into the glass. At any rate the fall before she went out and picked the seeds off of a bunch of marigolds that her grandmother grew. She had about 500 little baggies with seeds and while the bishop was there she asked him to bless the flower garden, the cross, and the seed packets and then passed them out after the mass. So now it's become a big thing in our family to grow marigolds from the blessed seeds and the idea is in the fall pick the seeds from last years plants to plant the next year because the blessing will be there every year.
Let's go.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #98
yachtsmanbill

Thats kinda like becoming that old guy in Rome that wears the funny hats aint it??? Marigolds are pretty hearty in the northlands eh??? ws
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #99
[email protected]

Yeah, they do pretty good. So today I don't figure I got a choice but to go out in the shop and do sumtin wit dat motor. Maybe it's time for some photos. At some point over the next couple days I'm going to have to take time out to go get a hair cut. Oh what the hell I think I'll get a whole bunch of them cut. I'll be back later.
Let's go.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #100
[email protected]

FYI, always a good show and swap meet because it's the first outside show of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car show.jpg (20.0 KB, 11 views)
Let's go.