Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM   #21
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

BTW... that pinion gear looks like new! Thanks a bunch! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #22
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
BTW... that pinion gear looks like new! Thanks a bunch! ws
It is new. Wait'll the guy who owns it tries to take his car on tour next spring. No I'm just bs'ng you. Andy is innocent as the driven snow.

Well I suppose I better get cleaned up. Gotta big garage meeting to go to at Andy's house. I hope the coffees hot.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #23
yachtsmanbill

So ya learn to read, and then ya get edumatificated... Ill expound on that later! So I had the diff carrier all buttoned up last week, then the book shows up. I have a little slack in the axles end to end which felt OK, and the book sez ZERO. So she come apart and I make a new "bump" washer for between them. There was a leather unit that was.055" and I had an extra .020 play. Had to make a .074 washer by hand... a mere 2 hour make and fit job.
Fitted the new bushing in the tube. Faced off about 80% of the thrust face, and checked the fit with blue. Looked good so in she went with some red locktite just to be sure. Drilled the grease hole and checked for U joint clearance. Had 1/16 to spare so that wouldve been a bunch of face reaming. After it was in the shaft fit like a German tickler! Also found out that the differential housings are from 2 different years. Ones a 26 and ones a 27. So what else is new eh? Think Ill take the Jerry Garcia treatment tonite!
Pats making some DINOMITE stuffed peppers for dinner. Cant wait! ws

Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
yachtsmanbill

So how was the OSO party? Warm coffee and pasties? Take any pics??? ws
Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #25
[email protected]

Not a single "working girl" to be found. But we ate good and the coffee was hot. Now if we could get those guy down there to add on to their shop we'd have room to get a car in there to work on. But it really was a great time. About 40 guys in a 24x34 shop with all the tools in there plus their inventory of parts. You can bet we were talking about some Model T's today. All in all it was worth the drive down and spending the time.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
Farmallcub49

Bill,

The depth of the pinion is adjusted by adding or subtracting shims/gaskets between the spool and the rear axle housing. The backlash is adjusted by adding a shim under the ring gear or removing one if you need more space. ON RARE occasions you may need to add shims beneath the steel washer that is on either side of the brass thrust washer. If it is too tight with no shims, again ON RARE occasions you may have to remove material from the bronze thrust washer on the left side. Clear as mud??

Sorry for the delay in response, work meeting yesterday, I delivered a 26 touring I finally sold, and it was freezing rain all day, with four different car accidents on the freeway, so I had to play on the big red trucks today. I didn't even know it was winter yet/still.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #27
yachtsmanbill

Four or five freeways shut down in Green Bay for icing. Even the walk from the shop was trecherous!

Pulled the whole darn carrier apart today, and she checked out at .0015 on the gear flange and 0-0-0-0 on the gear...Indicated the X axis of the axle spider bearing face and the Y axis off the O.D. fit for the ring gear. All I need is the spool kit to get it back together.
Heres some fun stuff and some pics from today... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJz8...1&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23E5-...eature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmI0u...eature=related

After the polish job... nice!!

Ford script gear looks really good 0-0-0-0 on the surface block

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-22-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #28
[email protected]

Really needed those videos. Freezing drizzle on the roads. Light snow falling. Used the cuttin' torch and 3 sticks of dynamite to get the ice of the windshield when I went to get the dog at the ex's tonight. Sitting in the living room with the fireplace warming things up. Got a water glass half full of Windsor on ice and I'm listening to Blind Willie McTell pick the blues. I don't know if life can get less complicated than that. I talked to my son earlier and the first thing he asked was if I was watching the football game. Why the hell would I want to let that crap into my house on such a relaxing evening. Especially considering Green Bay is out of it.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
yachtsmanbill

Rain beats snow anyday... its great up here... if yer a duck! Double checked those runout figures today and decided to run with it... Put the carrier back together but DID NOT wire the ring gear in case it needs a shim job.
Made a case holder and commenced a rough assembly. Thrust washers were installed with a FILM of synthetic grease, inner bearings greased and installed and assembly slid into the drivers side housing. Spins like a greased bearing! LOL.
Assembled passenger side the same, and slid it on and bolted it "snug" with 4 bolts. I am just able to turn the assembly "by thumb" as per the book. Im gonna use the joint gasket which measured at .010 which should allow the unit an easy spin! As it sits, the spool measures 2.638 and the case with no gasket mics' up at 2.627 + .010 for the gasket gives me 2.637... a mere .001 for a snug fit. I think its all good. Comments??
As soon as I can get the spool kit, Ill figger out if the gear needs shimming or its ad and subtract on the thrust washers. Of course falling into place would sure be nice haha!! ws

Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
yachtsmanbill

Everybody must be TAAARD! At work they used to call me Lobo de Solo... the lone wolf...

Today was a goof off day... went to the hardware store and got some copper tubing for the "Troiller" and a length of 1/2" pipe for the front T bones. I cut the ends off the OEM wishbone and drilled them out <1/64" to accomodate the pipe and prepped the 5/8 grade 5 bolts for the adjusting end.
The Troiller is a 1/2" external oil supply to the front... bearings should stay nice and wet. ws

Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #31
yachtsmanbill

Not quite sure exactly how long to make the T bones... Claytons are really long. Im thinking about 4 feet which is back just behind the rear motor mount Comments?
Some exspurts across the hall swore the ends were always brazed on. These were absolutely welded... steel on steel. The pipes were packed with loose rust... be warned!
The adjuster end is a 5/8 bolt welded in, with a tie rod link and a heim joint for the frame bracket. ws

These are vanadium steel too... tried to give it a slight squeeze in the vise... ferget it!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #32
yachtsmanbill

And the other end... ws

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #33
fordman67

Wow,them some nice bones.I guess I cheaped out.just cut em off close,drilled andlots of threaded the old cast pieces on the end.lots of adj though
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #34
yachtsmanbill

Just lost out on a EDOG auction tonite for a U-joint. Mine is really tired. Any ideas where to get a reasonably priced unit? ws
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #35
Farmallcub49

Buy a new one and you won't regret it. Or I can do some digging and see what I can dig up.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #36
[email protected]

Andy, Terry wouldn't answer his phone this evening so I wasn't able to get the name of the people with the glass beads. No big deal though. I'm going to look at air dryers tomorrow. My bead blaster is really doing the job for me now, however I've always wanted an air dryer hooked up to my compressor and now I've got a good excuse for getting one. Speaking of the bead blaster, I made a real goof up. I figure only a rookie would stuff paper toweling in a bushing hole to protect the bushing from the blast. The reason is you're either a rookie or stupid and I refuse to admit I'm stupid. Once those glass beads tore that paper towel into little gobs of paper I had a problem. There must of been a thousand or more little wads of paper mixed into the glass beads and plugged the gun up. Doh!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homerchokingbart.jpg (17.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-25-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Forgot to add image
Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
yachtsmanbill

Back in the day LOL, up in Door County, we'd go junkin' at Leroy Schmitz's farm where there were 100s of Ts up to a 50's Kaiser-Frasier's lined up in rows. $2 for a starter and $3 if it spun on a battery. I remember a 55 gallon dum filled and overflowing with U joints, probably a mix of many styles, but it was "take what you need". My uncle grabbed a 1955 Caddy "wonder bar" radio for a buck. I came back a year later as the guy was retiring and spent I think $50 for a Chrysler New Yorker station wagon dragging bottom all the way home full of boxes with brand new rings pistons and valve and carbs and distributators... you name it. Now that farm is a Congo Condo with a prime view overlooking more condos that used to be farms for a half a mil each. Of course that dirt road is also a paved 4 laner with a stoplight 2 miles down the way at the highway intersection. That was 1965 BTW.
Took my 336C Marlin to the gun shop yesterday and came home with $150. Thats gonna float the project for the spool kit, a U-JOINT, and some other doo-dahs. NEED THAT JOINT!!! As soon as I can get the chassis back together with the motor in-situ I can commence some real work, like a body, some steering stuff etc etc... HHEEELLLLLPPPPPP !!!!!! ws BTW... Its AND
Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
yachtsmanbill

Took the day off for a little welding practice. What a goofy day. Still waiting for the spool kit... Did ya get my emails Andy? Sorry about the confusion. ws

Not too shabby...
Old 01-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #39
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

Just remember that whenever you use a Heim joint you need a fender washer bigger than the joint under the head of the bolt that attaches it. When the joint fails the washer captures it and prevents it from going places where it shouldn't. Just my 2 cents. (Ask any of the Formula guys whose lives rely on Heim joints).
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #40
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Took my 336C Marlin to the gun shop yesterday and came home with $150.
Holy crap. $150.00? If that gun was in any kind of shape at all it should have been worth a little more than that. I actually had a chance to purchase a .35 Remington in a 336C several years ago for $75.00. I had it offered to me first and had to turn it down because the wife though it was more important to feed the kids. God she was an unreasonable %#$ch some days. Now if someone made that offer to me I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

About 4 months ago I made a purchase for a full set of wire spoked wheels, hubs, drums and lug nuts form my good friend Andy Loso. Now I'm thinking I'm going to keep my wood spoked wheels and sell the wires. The guys here in the park think the sedan looks more gangsta with the wood. And I guess I have to agree with them. Actually I'd like to find someone who's got something to trade for them. I don't know what, but something. The parts cleaning is moving along now. I didn't realize, over the course of 90 years 30 wt non-detergent motor oil turns into roofing tar. And these days every bambi lovin', tree huggin', son of a maggot will raise unholy hell if you don't use something to clean parts with that can't be dumped down the storm sewer. And most of that stuff is worthless. But that's OK I still do my part by dumping motor oil, anti-freeze and several barrels of old DDT down in the creek. That'll teach 'em. OK I'll admit I don't really do that but I still think these "Friends of Gore" need to back off a little bit.

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-27-2012 at 10:59 PM.