Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default This is the way we put on Model T Bands.

This is the way we have put on bands for 48 years. We cut an inch off the full length of each band, and then fold what is left, and cut that in Half. Then we start the two pieces from each end, like always. Normally there is an inch out at the bottom, but all 3 bands were a different length, and I didn't catch it until they were mounted, won't hurt any thing, but normally an inch.

This way of mounting bands will do 3 things.

1. Makes them last longer, because all the band is utilized.

2. They pick up oil from the bottom, as well as the top.

3. And third, you can now use up all the band surface, as it can flex in the middle, not just the sides.

Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
[email protected]

Default Re: This is the way we put on Model T Bands.

That's really interesting. I'm trying to form a visual of what happens when the bands are tightened. I can definitely understand the improved oiling, and the open area would cause an area for them to flex. And I think you've got a pretty darn good idea. The reason I had to consider what your describing is because my old cloth bands wore out on the bottom and I ended up with lint everywhere inside the trans. Do you think the flexing in the center of the bands can cause premature metal fatigue? Or are the bands capable of holding up to it. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else weighs in on this concept.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's really interesting. I'm trying to form a visual of what happens when the bands are tightened. I can definitely understand the improved oiling, and the open area would cause an area for them to flex. And I think you've got a pretty darn good idea. The reason I had to consider what your describing is because my old cloth bands wore out on the bottom and I ended up with lint everywhere inside the trans. Do you think the flexing in the center of the bands can cause premature metal fatigue? Or are the bands capable of holding up to it. It'll be interesting to see if anyone else weighs in on this concept.
Like I said, I we have been doing the bands this way for 48 years, that isn't just on my cars, that is on all the motors we rebuilt, and all the bands that used to be shipped in, and T Pans, transmissions Ect.

I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I got it out of a Dyke's book when I was about 17. The bands have always out lasted the standard way for me. Herm.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
[email protected]

And if my memory can hold up long enough till I change bands again, I'll probably do it this way too. You can't argue with success.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Jack Innes

This sounds like a very viable idea. If you think about it it it uses the same ideas that brake shoes followed a few years later & have continued to follow.

I have been warned about cutting Kevlar band material since it must be treated on the ends to prevent it fraying in use. What have you used to treat the ends? It looks like a redish material.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
yachtsmanbill

Dipped in GLYPTAL?? ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
This sounds like a very viable idea. If you think about it it it uses the same ideas that brake shoes followed a few years later & have continued to follow.

be treated on the ends to prevent it fraying in usI have been warned about cutting Kevlar band material since it must e. What have you used to treat the ends? It looks like a redish material.
Ya Jack, it is electric motor paint. I used to get it by the gallon, but had to throw some away, as it didn't keep very long with out drying out, now the last 25 years, I have been getting it in spray cans. I spray some on a slick News paper, and use a little brush to soak the paint in to the ends of the bands, and they don't fray. Thanks Herm.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Dipped in GLYPTAL?? ws

YUP! Herm.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
b67

The idea only makes sense. Around the area I grew up in, there were many abandoned slate quarries and alot of the old hoisting machinery was still around. They all used wood for the clutches and the external contracting brakes. The wood was installed in short,multple segments for a sure and positive grip. The saftey and lives of the men working under the carridges depended on that wood.
b67 is offline   Reply With Quote