Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2021, 07:08 AM   #1
Rembrant

Default ‘52 Flathead crankshaft end play

Hi folks,

I finally pulled my transmission last night (S10 5spd) on Flathead bell housings. There had been a scraping noise when the clutch was pushed in, but it would go away and be smooth and quiet with the clutch out while driving. I thought it was the throw out bearing and I have one on order, but yesterday the sound got a little worse and was present not only with the clutch pressed, but also with the clutch out, however a bit less noisy. So I drove the truck home and jacked it up and pulled the trans. The ends of the three pressure plate fingers were worn down quite badly and looked like they had been hitting the front edge of the throw out bearing (the not rotating part) and thus making a scraping sound.

However, things got worse when I pulled the main bell housing and pressure plate, etc. You can see where the flywheel has been wearing into the dust shield that the starter is mounted to. That sounds like pretty bad news to me…here I thought I was going to be changing a throw out bearing or at the worst a clutch and pressure plate, but by the looks of this the clutch action is pushing the crank forward and making the flywheel contact the dust shield.

Is that a bad thrust bearing, or a bad crank, or both?
The engine starts and runs great. No smoke, no other issues to speak of.
Darn it.

Thoughts or comments good or bad?

Last edited by Rembrant; 09-20-2021 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #2
Rembrant

Default Re: ‘52 Flathead crankshaft end play

Sorry for the spelling mistakes I’m working from my iPhone today…
Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

The amount of end-play on the crankshaft should only be about .004 to about .008 or so (writing from memory here - not at home). You should be able to check that with some large screwdrivers or pry bars and a magnetic-base dial indicator. (to see if the crank is moving more than that).

If it is moving more than the .008 number, then with the thrust surfaces of the crank are worn, the thrust surfaces/material on the rear main bearings are worn . . . or some combination of both. I'd check this first.

I'm also wondering why your clutch fingers are so worn? I'd think about the only way that could happen was if the throw-out bearing was constantly rubbing on the fingers (no free play) or if the fingers didn't correctly contact the throw-out bearing. I'd surely try to figure out what was going on here as well.

Good luck!
B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 09-20-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The crankshaft and rear main thrust face affect the shaft end play. There used to be some main bearings available that had a .010" thicker thrust face but I don't know what is available in the modern era. There should be no more than .006" if I remember correctly.

Check your starter ring gear, If it has moved off its normal seat area then it might rub.

Excessively worn crankshaft thrust faces indicate some hard clutch use at some point in the past. Larger trucks with the 11 inch clutch can be found with end play problems and so can race car set ups where clutch use is heavy.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
Rembrant

Oh the starter ring gear is removable? That hadn’t occurred to me and the flywheel is still on the engine. I’ll pull it tonight and have a look. That actually makes more sense based on the sound I was hearing.
If you guys are saying that crankshaft end play is only a few thou then something would have to be drastically wrong here as it would have to move a long distance by comparison to hit the dust shield and wear into it.
I tried prying back on the flywheel and couldn’t feel it move, and I don’t really have a way to push it forward.

This thing has a full 11” clutch in it, but with the S10 5spd I don’t know what the clutch is from…I don’t think the S10’s had 11” clutches.

There was also a fairly crude pilot bushing installed. I was able to pull it out with my pinky finger. Looks like the splined section of the trans input shaft was rubbing on it as well.

More layers to this onion I think…
Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
big job

l think a 11 inch is overkill the end play will ware the bearing being softer . Have a hard look at that ring gear. I had that happen. I presume this is a pick up? 11 inch would be for a F6 maybe F5 get a 9 or 10 inch flywheel pressure plate and disk ......
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Most 4-speed transmissions had the 11-inch Long type set up. 3-speeds had the 10-inch Long type clutch. Canada did do things a bit differently but not really all that much in the clutch department. The 11-inch is as heavy as they get. A lighter clutch gives quicker rpm response and generally less pedal pressure.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
Newc

T-5 trans input shafts are excessively long- Just worked with an installation where the trans input shaft was pressing the crank forward! Check length overall Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #9
Ross F-1

Check that it isn't the PP bolts rubbing on the starter plate.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #10
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post

This thing has a full 11” clutch in it, but with the S10 5spd I don’t know what the clutch is from…I don’t think the S10’s had 11” clutches.

.…
I think most S10 T5's used a 9.5" disc
Old 09-20-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
Als48

I have an 11" clutch on my Olds engine which was purchased as an Astro Van clutch. 4.3 Engine '85-90.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
Rembrant

I just got home so I'll pull the flywheel in a little while. Have a couple chores to do first.

I see that I can't upload pictures on here. Are there any sites that will host pictures these days that you can link to?

If the ring gear is pulled off its seat on the flywheel that sure would explain a lot...and it would certainly make me feel better if it's only the flywheel and not the crank. There was a clicking/scraping sound with the clutch pressed, but then yesterday after a brief stop I started it back up and it started scraping constantly...clutch in or out.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I found out after I pull the flywheel. Thanks all for the comments.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #13
Rembrant

Here are some pictures...just learning how to use the forum...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6548-800x600.jpg (64.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6553-800x600.jpg (74.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6560-800x600.jpg (76.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6563-800x600.jpg (40.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6568-800x600.jpg (50.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6574-800x600.jpg (66.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #14
Desoto291Hemi

I suspect the flywheel ring gear is causing your wear pattern.
If the crank was moving in that much I believe the rods would get bound up while it was running.
That looks like a fair amount of a groove cut into the starter plate .

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #15
Rembrant

You guys were right. The ring gear is off...way off. I didn't realize until I took this all apart that the starter bendix pulls forward...the same direction that can pull the ring gear off the flywheel. In any case, it was certainly pulled off...one side much worse than the other. The largest gap is more than a quarter inch, assuming the ring gear is supposed to be seated on that shoulder.

The homemade pilot bushing is/was also an issue...you can see where the transmission input shaft splines wore into the bushing. Every now and then, I wasn't able to get it into reverse because the trans was still spinning with the clutch pressed. If I can't get a bearing for it, I'll have to have a thinner bushing made up, or counter sink the area where the snout of the trans input splines sit. Any thoughts on that, good or bad?

Still...the crank must still have a little bit of end play movement in it. I assume the ring gear was making the noise all along...the pressure plate would push it ahead far enough to just "tick" against the dust shield. That one specific start yesterday pulled the ring ahead far enough it started rubbing constantly.

Now to make a list of parts to order. Any suggestions on the best place to call that will have everything in-stock?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6579.jpg (134.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6580.jpg (109.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6581.jpg (90.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6582.jpg (96.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6584.jpg (90.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #16
flatford8

I agree with the ring gear might be scraping the starter plate. The bushing picture looks like the input shaft is to tight against it. What kind of adapter are you using?.......Mark
You also type much faster than I do!.... there are pilot shaft bushings available that will leave room for your spline shaft. Still like to know what kind of adapter your using.
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:54 PM   #17
Rembrant

The adapter "kit" is just a homemade plate as far as I can tell.

There are two sets of holes in the flywheel, I assume the slightly smaller diameter set are for a 10" pressure plate? I assume this flywheel is an original one as it has the Ford script stamped on it. Did they typically come drilled for both 10" and 11" pressure plates?
Old 09-20-2021, 11:45 PM   #18
flatjack9

I've never seen one drilled with 2 drillings from the factory. You can have a machine shop make a proper pilot bearing out of "oilite" material so it will clear the input shaft.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #19
JWL
Member Emeritus

I suggest finding a method to observe the crankshaft end play. Judging from the appearance of the pilot bearing there has been continuous, substantial, forward pressure applied to the thrust surfaces. I would not worry about .010 but the rod side clearance and piston pin clearances can be exceeded leading to potentially serious engine damage when excess end play exists.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:56 AM   #20
rotorwrench

A person really should try to shim the trans back enough to gain clearance on the pilot. A plate of specific thickness would be a way to go but it would take some time to whittle out a proper spacer plate. JWL is right about that crank end play. Make sure it doesn't have too much. It may have been set up in a bind due to the long input shaft.

Steel on steel can be tack welded in a few spots to keep the starter ring from moving. It can make it a b!tch to replace though. There may be other ways to go on that. It's not real common to have them come loose. It just depends on the fit. Most rings have to be heated pretty well to get them on there due to the interference fit.
Old 09-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #21
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
...Most rings have to be heated pretty well to get them on there due to the interference fit.
I'd think it might be best to remove the ring so it can be heated evenly in an oven, and fully seated. Not sure how to get it off tho, without damage anyway.

Last edited by Ross F-1; 09-21-2021 at 12:24 PM.
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #22
rotorwrench

One that's half off can be slowly driven off with brass or aluminum punch and a hammer by cross taping around the edges while the wheel is lying on something smaller and flat on a solid bench or stand. One that's all the way on can ground down a bit in one spot and then carefully split with a chisel. It would be the mechanics call about which will work the best.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #23
Mart

Re the adaptor bush.
If you can find someone with a lathe just get it skimmed down enough to clear the area that is fouling.
if no lathe available just grind it down carefully. The face that is contacting is not a functional face. it is in free air and does not need to be a machined finish (if push comes to shove).
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #24
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
One that's half off can be slowly driven off with brass or aluminum punch and a hammer by cross taping around the edges while the wheel is lying on something smaller and flat on a solid bench or stand. One that's all the way on can ground down a bit in one spot and then carefully split with a chisel. It would be the mechanics call about which will work the best.
Just march it off the flywheel with an air chisel with a blunt tip. easy-peasy!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #25
cas3

doesn't the flywheel have the tiny little ridge to hold the ring gear on like the early motors, or did ford drop that on the 8ba's ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #26
swedishsteel

When I put the S10 tranny behind my '36 LB the adapter needed to be 7/8" thick for the input shaft of the tranny to be correct in the pilot bearing. I used aluminum for the adapter.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #27
Rembrant

Yes that is the issue with this installation. The home made adapter plate is barely 1/4” thick, so the input shaft is too far forward. I’m working on putting it back together for now to get the rest of the season out of the truck. I’ll look at a better adapter set up over the winter.

One thing I’m having trouble with today is finding new flywheel bolts. I don’t have the old ones in front of me but can anybody confirm the length of them? I see ARP has a bolt kit p/n 240-2801 and they are .875” long 7/16”-20. Anybody know if they will work or can you suggest an alternative part number to get a better fit?

How long are the factory bolts? 3/4”?
Old 09-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #28
rotorwrench

The ones that fit the early flywheels will work. Third Gen Automotive has them as well as others. They are set up to be safety wired to each other. The original 8BA ones have the large dimple in the center of the head and don't require safety wire.

If you use the ARP types make sure the bolts clear on the front side of the crank. The Ford & Chevy ones are 1-inch long. I'm not sure about the others. They generally have a relatively close shank fit in the bore. They can be shortened but it may be a pita if required for clearance. The OEM ones were short but I don't have one close by to measure.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #29
Rembrant

Thanks for all the replies folks. Turns out the ring gear was cracked, so that explains why it was coming off. Cracked from a previous installation or just because it’s 70 years old? I don’t know. Anyway, I have a new one on order and it will be here next week. I’m scrambling to get this thing back together next weekend.

On the flywheel bolts I measured everything and it looks like everything stacks up to be 0.878”, so the bolts being 7/8” long makes sense. ARP kit 240-2801 listed for Chrysler seems like a good fit, and the local engine shop has them in stock.

On the pilot bushing. It is obviously worn from hitting the end of the splines on the trans input shaft, but it must have been from a previous install as all my measurements show that there should be at least 0.125” clearance with the transmission installed. However the bushing was only slip fit, so it may have moved around in there. I’m going to make a new one with a slight interference fit to keep it in place. It will only be about 0.400” thick, but should do the trick for now.

Still haven’t measured crank end play but I’ll get the dial indicator under there this weekend. I tried physically moving it and can’t see or feel anything, but the dial indicator might show something.

In any case, I’m on the road to recovery for now. Just have to hope that all the parts I have ordered will fit properly.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #30
Als48

Hey, Rembrandt, Krylon 32 from Nebraska sells T-5 Adapter plates. I used one in my 48 Super Deluxe. Check the classified section. Good luck with your ring gear.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #31
Bored&Stroked

Sounds like you're getting it sorted out - good for you! You'll be back on the road in no time!
Old 09-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #32
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
How long are the factory bolts? 3/4”?
They are listed at 0.88" long
Old 09-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #33
Bored&Stroked

The original flywheel setup used a metal plate that went under the bolts - to insure that the two dowel pins didn't back-out of the crank and fall out. Also, the bolts were tie-wired.

If you're going to use ARP bolts (which I use), then I suggest you use the stock plate underneath them and use red locktite on the threads. It is probably overkill, but I'm also super careful with flywheels and clutches . . . so I always do this.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #34
Rembrant

Hi Folks,

As of late last night, I finally have the old '52 back in business, but it looks like I may have traded one problem for another. Transmission is back in with new 10" clutch and pressure plate, new ARP bolts, new throw-out bearing, new bronze pilot bushing, and new ring gear on the original flywheel (which I had re-surfaced at a local engine shop). It is now nice and quiet...ring gear is not hitting the starter shield, obviously...but now I have a bad shudder when pulling away from a stop in forward or reverse. Once the truck is moving, all other shifts are smooth, and driving down the road it's as smooth as it was before. The only issue is pulling away from a complete stop. If I'm already rolling, even just a little bit, it is fine.

I am usually really fussy about re-assembly...but I have to admit that I did forget to clean the surface of the pressure plate. It did have the preservative residue on there as I remember seeing it, but anyway...in my haste I forget to clean it off.

I did some Google searches, and it appears that some people claim that a shudder will go away as a clutch gets "broken in", but just as many people claim that the shudder never went away without replacing something.

I don't believe it is anything external as the issue was not present prior to me swapping out all of these parts, and the shudder starts before the truck even moves, so I can't blame bad u-joints and leaf spring bushings (I've read that some people found these to be an issue).

Any thoughts good or bad from the experts and the 'been-there, done-that" crowd?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6696-800x600.jpg (87.3 KB, 13 views)