Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
Ronnieroadster

Default The 1BA block Mystery What's the Story ?

During my research for another 1BA block which at least to me is a mystery as to why, when and in what they came in. Inspecting a complete original unmolested engine minus heads with the 1BA block casting number.
I discovered a four inch stroke crank the aluminum front timing cover the rear oil drive gear cover being cast not tin and the flywheel has the borg and beck pressure plate bolt pattern. Also the oil pan has the center sump location and the block and pan overall color is a reddish orange . So this of course would be a Merc application but what year and were they also used in Fords as well ?
The additional mystery about the 1BA is why some blocks have all valve seats on the casting surface with no removable seat rings. And others blocks with the same 1BA casting number have seat rings usually only on the exhaust side only.
Now many posters have written how Ford was never one to waste money on unneeded items. Seems to me valve seats as well as the machining needed for the installation was an area of potential waste. So what's the story?
Ronneroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 09-06-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: The 1BA block Mystery What's the Story ?

Ronnie what is the casting number of the 1BA. I need to check my stash to see if I have any. Thanks
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #3
flatjack9

I think the 1BA is cast in the valve chamber by the fuel pump push rod.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:47 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

No answers but for reference I have '51 Merc. block/engine.

1BA block with inserts on valves and aluminum timing cover with cast rear cover.
Engine was built 5/10/51
Old 09-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
Brian

I'm not really up on late model stuff, but I believe hardened seats were done away with with the introduction of valve rotators
Old 09-06-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
deuce5wndw

The 1BA would indicate a 51 model. Having the 4 inch crank and the borg and beck p plate makes it a Mercury. From the research I have done the aluminum timing cover came out in 1950 along with the distributor with the extended shaft. Odd that it has the center sump oil pan with all the other Mercury features!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Ronnie what is the casting number of the 1BA. I need to check my stash to see if I have any. Thanks

The 1BA casting number can be found in the valley as mentioned in the post from flatjack9. The 1BA can be seen indented on the flat surface in the area of the fuel pump push rod hole on the drivers side. And sometimes it can also be found as a raised casting on the rear wall of the block on the passenger side about half way down. Now if you happen to find one and your interested in letting one go please let me know.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 09-06-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
tubman

In my experience (admittedly limited), I have found that Mercury engines usually have cast rear timing gear covers, while Fords have the stamped steel version.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm not really up on late model stuff, but I believe hardened seats were done away with with the introduction of valve rotators
If the introduction of the valve rotators eliminated the valve seat inserts this is an interesting point. However than the blocks I'm interested in would be relatively common which it seems so far is not the case.
Ronnieroadster
Old 09-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #10
38 coupe

1BA indicates the block was first introduced in 1951. Ford used the same blocks on Ford and Mercury engines. The parts bolted to the block determined what type of engine it was. Ford eliminated intake seats first, then eliminated exhaust seats since they could get away with it new due to rotating exhaust and leaded gas. Over the years hardened exhaust seats were installed in a lot of the 52-53 blocks during service work. Finding a late flathead block without exhaust seats installed isn't common since in most applications having hardened exhaust seats is desirable.

The combination of parts you listed in the first post sounds like a stock 51-53 Mercury engine with a 52-53 Ford oil pan bolted on. Who wouldn't like a 255 Merc engine in their 52-53 Ford?
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #11
Tim Ayers

I had a '53 block that came from a known '53 Ford Victoria with a FOM trans. That block also did not have any seats and did have rotator valves. The heads and cam were all EAB stuff.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #12
Ol' Ron

Does this block have an early fuel pump push rod???
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:17 AM   #13
Ross F-1

The engine that came in my truck (not original) is a 1BA block. The 1BA is cast into the rear of the block, nothing in the valve chamber. It has the cast OP cover, Rotamatic valves, and didn't have hardened seat inserts. Everything inside the engine and the heads is EAB -- crank, cam, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BA Casting Mark.jpg (35.1 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg FuelPumpPushrod-1.jpg (81.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
rotorwrench

The new style rotator valves and the crankshaft with the larger flange bore to fit the 1P-7003 series automatic transmissions. They were used on both Ford and Mercury cars in 1951. The crankshaft & pistons would be the only internal difference between the Ford & Mercury. This block was used till the end of production as far as I know.

Hardened seats were likely not used in car blocks after 1951. Trucks would have had them in exhaust pockets only after 1951 or 52. I'm not surprised that there are variations in where the 1BA casting marks are. Being down in the tappet valley like they originally were didn't make sense for a built up motor after the intake manifold was in place.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-07-2021 at 12:17 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #15
marko39

For what it's worth, my 51 block does not have the hardened seats. I had them installed on the exhaust only.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #16
petehoovie

From VanPelts site > The 1949 to 53 engine blocks were all essentially the same. The primary difference being that Ford installed replaceable hardened valve seat inserts (exhaust side only) on the 1949 to 51 engines. The 1952-53 models did not come from the factory with any hardened valve seat inserts, although they are often found with them now, having had them installed by an engine rebuilder at some time later on.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #17
rotorwrench

Neither of my early 1951 Mercury cars (November 1950) had hardened seats and they have standard type valves.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:42 PM   #18
40 Deluxe

Ronnie, I just checked and I have 2 1Ba blocks. One has a lot of scale in the water jackets and a couple cracks-valve seat to cyl. wall. The other one only the "standard" stud thread to water port crack. I was stripping this one to rebuild. The first one I had sitting out in the to-the-scrapyard pile. Both are .040" over bores and one has a production reman sticker on one head. I'm in Boise Idaho. Let me know if you're interested in one.
Both came out of Arizona vehicles. One had a 4" crank and rear sump pan, the other a center sump and 3 3/4" crank.

Last edited by 40 Deluxe; 09-08-2021 at 11:59 PM. Reason: add more info.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Hey Ronnie - I'm out of town for a few weeks, when I get back I'll check a few 49-53 blocks that I have and see if any are 1BA. I don't know the details on the later blocks - might as well explore and see what we can learn. Take care, give Laura my best!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:47 AM   #20
Ron_r1959

Ronnie, Out of curiosity, are you wanting the 1BA without replaceable seats for a another highspeed car application? If so are you afraid of the seats coming loose for some reason or had trouble with it in the past ? Just curious.
Ron_r1959 is offline   Reply With Quote