Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Joe KCMO

Default Fuel Pump Push Rod Bushing

After rebuilding everything internal in my engine and installing the fuel pump pushrod, I think that it has too much play(sloppy). Will this have significant effect on oil pressure?

Is it possible to replace the fuel pump push rod bushing without taking the camshaft and all the valves again?

Still enjoying the build, but getting older but not a lot smarter. Should have replaced everything!!

Last edited by Joe KCMO; 11-28-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Joe KCMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Bushing

Most people will tell you it cannot be done in the car. They are being kind in trying to discourage you. I was not discouraged. I did it. It was not fun. It can be done though.
Here is how mine came out:

You need a very good quality tap, as the bushing is extremely hard. I put grease in the bushing to catch metal chips. You will need a tap extension. If I recall I used a 1/2" 20 thread tap. I took the hood off and put all my weight into the tap to get it to bite the bushing. Here is the puller arrangement I used

Now all that being said, the bushing is supposed to be sloppy. A half inch slop at the top of the rod as you rock it in the bushing is pretty normal. Think hard before you attempt the change. I'm stubborn, and would not take no far an answer, and, I , like you thought about it too late.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Joe KCMO

Russ,

I do not recognize the tap at the end of the threaded rod. It appears to be a socket head fine thread bolt in the second picture. In the first picture what is that on the black bolt appearing tap?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Most people will tell you it cannot be done in the car. They are being kind in trying to discourage you. I was not discouraged. I did it. It was not fun. It can be done though.
Here is how mine came out:

You need a very good quality tap, as the bushing is extremely hard. I put grease in the bushing to catch metal chips. You will need a tap extension. If I recall I used a 1/2" 20 thread tap. I took the hood off and put all my weight into the tap to get it to bite the bushing. Here is the puller arrangement I used

Now all that being said, the bushing is supposed to be sloppy. A half inch slop at the top of the rod as you rock it in the bushing is pretty normal. Think hard before you attempt the change. I'm stubborn, and would not take no far an answer, and, I , like you thought about it too late.
That looks like a bushing from a 8BA an later engine. Not the same as pre 48 ones which are pretty thin walled. They are all pretty sloppy,dont worry about it. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Joe KCMO

Thankyou Ken,

You made my evening!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Binx

I'll quote Ron Bishop's Book: "This is not critical, but wear of .020 inch or more will allow oil to escape from the main oil passage, making it very difficult to build up and/or maintain proper oil pressure."

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
I'll quote Ron Bishop's Book: "This is not critical, but wear of .020 inch or more will allow oil to escape from the main oil passage, making it very difficult to build up and/or maintain proper oil pressure."

Lonnie
Can't believe everything you read. The pushrod can be removed without effecting oil pressure.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Joe KCMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Can't believe everything you read. The pushrod can be removed without effecting oil pressure.

flatjack,

Are you saying that with a goodly amount of play in that bushing, I can still have good oil pressure 30# +.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
flatjack9

Your oil pressure will not be dependant on the fit of that bushing. Only way you can lose pressure is if there was a hole worn in the bushing. And I have never seen an engine where that bushing was worn out.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Jack E/NJ

ken ct>>>They are all pretty sloppy,dont worry about it.>>>

x2!

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Andy

The rear cam bearing is not pressure lubed. It just gets thrown oil out of the top of the oil pump and gears. There is no oil pressure to loose. Leave the bushing alone.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
Walt Dupont--Me.

The 48 and older engine has a very thin wall bushing, It won't except a tap to make threds in it. The 8BA engine has a thicker bushing. I just built an older engine that someone just built and didn't have any oil pressure. They tryed to remove the bushing and broke off the top and bottom 1/2in. of the bushing and they must of ran a reamer down the hole and installed a new bushing. The middle piece of the old bushing was plugging the main oil line and that is why it didn't have any oil, preassure. I had the engine completly diassembled before I found the trouble. I made a driver on the lathe and drove the new bushing down into the cam brg. area. I really didn't even hurt the new bushing but I replaced it with a new one. I had quite a job removing the broken part of the old bushing. With the bushing in there there is no oil pressure in that hole. The only way it would loose oil pressure is if the bushing was worn through. And I have never seen one worn through. Don't worry about it if it's sloppy. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Russ/40

You never did tell us what engine you have. But, as I said above think long and hard before attempting the task. My experience was on an 8BA in my '49. I have never attempted an earlier bushing. I believe what others say that the earlier bushing cannot be pulled as they are too thin. Heed their advice and run it the way it is. As long as your not eating up rods it won't hurt anything. My '49 was wearing the rods badly on the sides of the rod.
I think it is truly rare to need to replace the bushing. I have a very early block that doesn't even have a bushing and the wear in the casting is negligible.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
JWL
Member Emeritus

What is a questioner to learn from this? Be selective.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
You never did tell us what engine you have. But, as I said above think long and hard before attempting the task. My experience was on an 8BA in my '49. I have never attempted an earlier bushing. I believe what others say that the earlier bushing cannot be pulled as they are too thin. Heed their advice and run it the way it is. As long as your not eating up rods it won't hurt anything. My '49 was wearing the rods badly on the sides of the rod.
I think it is truly rare to need to replace the bushing. I have a very early block that doesn't even have a bushing and the wear in the casting is negligible.
Your right Russ, the very early 8BA that came out in the 48 pickups didn't have any pump rod bushing. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #16
Ol' Ron

Somebody deserves an ATTA BOY!! here. However you don't loose oil pressure by removing the fuel pump push rod. Bit you could make a mess.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #17
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
Joe KCMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post

I was the original questioner and I believe that I learned from this thread. Anyone who searches this question in the future will also benefit.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
JWL
Member Emeritus

Well, let's take an objective look--- there were 9 posts from "helpers" prior to my commenting about being "selective".

3 are wrong or of questioable relevance. Not a good average.

It is good that the actual helpful information provided comfort.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Karl Wolf

As an adendum to this thread, I note that the bushing can be pushed in, and removed... If you have the cam out... I do this so that I can clean out the oil gallery with a brush... Then put the same one back in...
I also have saved the bushings from blocks that I have scrapped. The only new one I've ever bought was made of aluminum, and worse than the old one...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #21
bbrocksr

Lets not be critical, Seems like everybody was happy but you.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #22
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
As an adendum to this thread, I note that the bushing can be pushed in, and removed... If you have the cam out... I do this so that I can clean out the oil gallery with a brush... Then put the same one back in...
I also have saved the bushings from blocks that I have scrapped. The only new one I've ever bought was made of aluminum, and worse than the old one...
Karl
Right, this should be routine for proper cleaning when building an engine.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #23
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

This is one of the BIG advantages of the internet...you can immediately get 15 or 20 great and totally different answers to any tech question!
A Ford manual will only get you one...what a rip!
No wonder no one reads books any more!
Note that some people on here are a kind of gold standard. There are a number of real gurus here, but Ron has built more flatheads than most of us have seen, experimenting and documenting along the way, and that anything JWL has ever said is backed by blueprints, sectioned engine blocks, 15 dyno runs, and exhaustive flow work...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #24
flatjack9

Well said! I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
Ol' Ron

Yes, after you knock the can bearings out, Knock the bushing out.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #26
Binx

Hold on here fellas, this is an old thread. Here is the one that talks about the oil pressure test with and without the push rod.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99948
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #27
mike42

Man this is confusing ! So......with my '40 85 hp.....would it be better to install the rod and pump ? I'm only using the electric at this point with a block off plate where the original pump would mount.

Thx....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #28
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike42 View Post
Man this is confusing ! So......with my '40 85 hp.....would it be better to install the rod and pump ? I'm only using the electric at this point with a block off plate where the original pump would mount.

Thx....Mike
Without the plug you may or may not get excess oil misting in the valve spring chamber.
If I were doing it, I would install the original fuel pump arrangement and if you don't trust it, install an electric (seperate switched) fuel pump forward of the tank to be used just in case.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #29
mike42

ok 51.....I had so many problems before and now it runs so good I hated to change it back to original pump, but if it's going to spray a mist around or not give proper lube to rest of the engine I'll put the regular pump on. Thx....

Mike
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #30
harley

Mike 42, The 40 does not have the orifice in the bushing, no mist, no problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #31
mike42

ok...thx !
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #32
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Mike 42, The 40 does not have the orifice in the bushing, no mist, no problem.
And what about the hole in the cam bearing?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
19Fordy

If you do a Fordbarn search for " Fuel Pump Push Rod" tons of info. appears that IS worth reading.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #34
PhoenixFear

I was wondering about this recently as for the most part I wanted to go with an electric pump. However I think I'll stick with a regular fuel pump for now. I just rebuilt the whole engine and of course forgot about this bushing. The 8BA fuel pump push rods seem to be very hard to find at this time, but I have a good used one I found. I think it has some play with the bushing in the block now but the machinist who did the block said he hasn't had a need to replace that bushing. I have a new bushing but from reading this thread I am on the fence about replacing it. I'll probably leave it alone.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #35
Mac VP

One reason for removing the bushing hadn't been mentioned. If you're having the block acid dipped prior to a rebuild, ALL soft metals must be removed. I suppose the chemicals would simply eat up the pre 49 bushings which are made of brass. Safer to simply knock it out. Same for the cam bearings, rear seal retainers, block drain plugs, etc.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
I was wondering about this recently as for the most part I wanted to go with an electric pump. However I think I'll stick with a regular fuel pump for now. I just rebuilt the whole engine and of course forgot about this bushing. The 8BA fuel pump push rods seem to be very hard to find at this time, but I have a good used one I found. I think it has some play with the bushing in the block now but the machinist who did the block said he hasn't had a need to replace that bushing. I have a new bushing but from reading this thread I am on the fence about replacing it. I'll probably leave it alone.
There is supposed to be considerable play. The only true indication of need to replace, I have seen, is rapid extreme wear on the sides of the push rod.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
PhoenixFear

Quote:
There is supposed to be considerable play. The only true indication of need to replace, I have seen, is rapid extreme wear on the sides of the push rod.
That's what I was told as well, so as not to "lock up" the push rod when running. I checked my push rod and inserted it into a new bushing I bought and it is a very small amount of play. Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #38
woodypecker

I have a new pushrod in an old bushing in an 8ba and it has just a little slop and very good oil pressure.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
Russ/40

Keep in mind, the bushing supports the very bottom portion of the rod. Put a bushing in a vice gently, insert a pushrod just beyond the end of the bushing. Now from the top of the rod, move it back and forth. You will have quite a bit of movement.