Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #21
nkaminar

Default Re: Jackson III 2nd Condenser -How

I think the point is that the condenser should be connected to the side of the coil that goes to the points. If you have a negative grounded battery, then that should be the negative side of the coil, or if positive grounded then the positive side of the coil. Seems to me that it is just as easy to change out the condenser with two screws. If the condenser is shorted than adding a second condenser will not solve anything.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #22
Kurt in NJ

I put in a A&L burnout proof condenser in 35 years ago, no more fooling with changing condensers, before that I got real good at it, take screw out of tab, put screwdriver in hole, unscrew, keep screwdriver on screw, pull out old , put in new, start screw
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Old post but that's ok.

So, how is the condenser tested?

First, ground the condenser, then what do you do with the pigtail on the condenser? #17 says loosen the passenger side, but that doesn't say the + or - side, who knows how the coil was installed. Then where do the jumper wires go?
One side of the condensor gets grounded, the other side connects to the terminal that connects to the distributor points. Simple.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #24
Kevin in NJ

The condenser is tested with a coil condenser tester. The same tool that makes an arc then heats the coil to see if the arc gets less. You can put a condenser across it and see if it causes issues.

The other tool is a condenser test set used by radio repair guys. That is a bit more complicated, I have one.

There is an ESR meter also but I do not know if that will do a good job on these types of capacitors. I use that for checking power supply filter capacitors.

The capacitor value checker on some volt meters does not check for problems. A capacitor will show proper capacitance yet still not function in circuit. There are other attributes such as leakage at high voltages and such.

The best solution is to use a modern high quality unit such as what is made by A&L. Switching to the V8 points and condenser is a mistake. The modern condensers are made low bid in china and may fail quick, even out of the box.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:42 AM   #25
old31

JG, I did not know that 1 year ago, as that #6 statement has absolutely nothing to do with the condenser hook up.

I was stating that from the factory, the - side of the coil goes on the driver's side and that the red wire goes to the plus or passenger's side. And, to make someone's life easier as to see how someone installed the coil, just take a mirror and look underneath vs removing the coil.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #26
CT Jack

The quality of condensers in more recent times seems to be in the decline. This makes for unpredictable reliability to the point where you should buy and carry spares incase you experience a premature failure. I converted to electronic ignition quite some time ago which eliminates this problem. Start up, not having to worry about condensers & point settings provide continuous uniform engine performance which makes driving my "A" a joy.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #27
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Jack View Post
The quality of condensers in more recent times seems to be in the decline.
It's not just condensers.
I have a friend w/a '66 Ford pickup, he was telling me that he was having troubles w/the points not lasting very long, he was getting them from NAPA. I gave him a NOS set that I had, from the '70s, he installed them and his problem w/points not lasting went away.

Last edited by katy; 06-20-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Addition
katy is offline   Reply With Quote