Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
1939Deluxesedan

Default New Member

Hi everyone. I am Chris. I'm glad I found this board. I just recently acquired a 1939 Ford Deluxe convertible. I have hundreds of questions. First let me tell you about my 39. It appears to have had a body off restoration at some point. Someone put a lot of care and work. Then, like a red headed stepchild, it was abandoned. Left out in the weather for at least 20 years. It had a tarp over it. A good tarp, but still, its a convertible with no rag top! What a shame, but for me, its golden. I got a really good deal, but a lot of work ahead for me. Its my retirement project. Lots of rust, but with the exception of the trunk floor, pretty solid. I've got the steering to operate and greased. It was rusted in place. It has what I believe to be the original flat head V8. The 85hp. The motor was locked up, but with the help of lots of marvel mystery oil, and blaster, i was able to work it a little loose. Over a period of weeks I finally got complete rotation. Last weekend I was able to drop a battery in it and spin it over!
Some one has converted it to 12 volts. At least it had a 12 volt battery in it. Negative ground. I jumpered the solenoid to get it to turn over. The starter button doesn't seem to work. I read on here about a positive ground. When connected correctly, the fan should spin over in a clock wise fashion from the perspective of me facing the radiator? Right?
Where is the headlight switch? Mine has a vertically mounted switch over by the right side of the dash. It that it? Mine is frozen, and won't move. Someone installed a Mallory ignition. I hope it makes fire. Carburetor needs to be rebuilt/ I didn't see anyway to remove the gas tank. It looks like access is from the top, after the body is removed, so I plan to blow out the line and clean it as best I can, then put a good filter on the line. The brake master cylender cap could not be removed so I removed the master cylinder. Imagine my surprise when I got it out in the sun it says "Lockheed" on the side. I read this was the first year for hydraulic brakes, and the Lockheed aircraft helped with the design. Maybe mine in original. The piston is frozen in place. I think I'll just put a replacement. My priorities are to get the engine to run. Get the brakes to work, and take her for a spin!
Jumping ahead, the convertible top seems a big concern. Most of the frame is there. The bows are about rotten. I have the glass window from the original. I'm looking at restored 39;s on youtube. there's a piece that fits between the front and back glass, about 6 inches wide that goes from the door top to where the convertible top starts. I think its removable. May be called a pillar post. I don't have one. I can't find one, or even a picture of one. There is a support rod that supports the rag top. Is it partof that assembly? I don't have the post or the rods, and can't find any info on it.
So I got some serious work ahead. That's okay. I have time. Not even retired yet. I put a few pictures up on my album and will post more when I figure out how to.
Sorry if this is a little long. Thanks for your time. Have a great father's day.
1939Deluxesedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: New Member

go to the v8 website and buy the 38/39 book, more info in there than you would believe, then buy a parts book and a v8 service manual from a vendor. Lot of info in these books also. BTW where are you located?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
19Fordy

Congratulations on your 39. Those are very nice cars. Post some photos, if possible.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
Ford Freak

Hey Chris - welcome to the Barn ! F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Mart

Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
Mart

Polarity will not change the rotation of the starter motor/engine.

Look at the bulbs and see if they have been changed to 12V.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
Lawson Cox

Yes. Welcome to the barn. Please list your location and you will get a lot of information about early Fords from other Ford nuts in your area. There probably is a Regional Group of the Early Ford V8 Club of America close to you which you should join or at least contact for further information and help. Nice car "modern car" by the way, but I'm into 1935 pickups myself. 89 years old but still trucking. LOL

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
1939Deluxesedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
go to the v8 website and buy the 38/39 book, more info in there than you would believe, then buy a parts book and a v8 service manual from a vendor. Lot of info in these books also. BTW where are you located?
I am in Troy Alabama.
When you say the V8 website, is that part of the old ford barn? where is it? Books are great, but expensive. i want to get the one you refer to.

thanks
1939Deluxesedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
Bob C

Welcome, the light switch is in the center of the steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_SteeringGear_1937-39.jpg (45.5 KB, 14 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #10
Will D

Welcome Chris. Check out Mac Van Pelt website as well for Pics, diagrams, parts lists and specs. He specializes is transmissions but has a plethora of info on the site.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com

All the best on that first spin!
Will
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #11
36 ford

Welcome Chris! Your first post reveals how excited you are! That's wonderful!

Phil
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #12
Bob C

This is probably the book and club referred to. https://shop.efv8.org/collections/fo...book-softbound
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
50fordcoupeman

YAHOOOOO!! Welcome................
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #14
Zeke3

Welcome Chris, your recent acquisition sounds like a great retirement project.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:34 AM   #15
aussie merc

welcome aboard looks like you are going to have some fun Lots of help on here so let the fun begin
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:37 AM   #16
Tinker

Welcome Chris. One thing at a time would be my suggestion. Excellent car. You will find answers here if you ask. How do you eat a train??? one bite at a time. Ask away!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #17
KGS

Hey Chris, Welcome to the Ford Barn. The"finest kind" of old Ford knowledge available on the worldwide net today! You have a great start
there for one of the nicest examples of Ford design ever. JMO of course.

Good luck with it!

Ken

Here's the link to the book that you need.
https://shop.efv8.org/products/1938-...book-softbound
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #18
DavidG

If it has four doors, center pillars (missing), and a back seat, it's a convertible sedan. A '39 convertible has two doors and a rumble seat.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #19
deuce_roadster

Chris,
Welcome and I am happy you have what I consider one of the 3 nicest looking early Fords made and a very good one to start with. All your work in getting it back on the road will be worthwhile and rewarding! How did the oil look before you turned the engine over? If the engine was complete and had the air cleaner on you might be lucky and get the engine running ok after sitting 20 years.
Oh, and the light switch is at the bottom of the steering column and the "knob" is in the center of the steering wheel, it rotates.
You have been given good advice about obtaining the Early Ford V8 Club's 38-39 book.
If there is a Regional Group of the EFV8 club near you I would encourage you to join it as there will be folks there who understand the old Fords and have experience.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
deuce_roadster

David, nice catch, that could be a convertible sedan as I couldn't tell from the picture I missed the question about the top "prop". If it is a CS and those are missing that could be a problem finding them.
Just looked at the album, and yes I see rear door handles. It is a Convertible Sedan.
Chris, you have a fairly rare body style there. Nice find.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 06-21-2020 at 08:43 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote