Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
crumbaa

Default Repro suppliers, who is the best?

The first site I found when i started looking for parts was Mac's. Looking through the site I have found lots of stuff I think we will end up needing. While looking through hundred of different posts I have rarely seen anyone call for going to macs for parts. I see Info about Bert's, Snyders, and a number of different speciality suppliers that focus on just s few items. I notice many of the prices on Mac's are lower, I know some things are cheap because they are of lesser quality. Do I hear fewer recommendations for Mac's because they sell lesser quality items or is it that everything they sell is repro? My car had a "half way" restore done to it along time ago and there is much that is not right. So, I have no fine point aspirations, therefore repro is no issue for me as long as they are quality parts and are basically "correct".

/Tony
crumbaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Mike

Default Re: Repro suppliers, who is the best?

For me Brattons auto parts 1st choice, 2nd is Snyders

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Mikeinnj

I have dealt exclusivly with Bratton's ( www.brattons.com ) for the past thirty years and have never had a problem with their parts, service, return policy,etc. A real solid company with an emphasis on service.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
kb cookout

Brattons good parts, quick shipping and Gas light in Ohio

Later kb
kb cookout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

When it comes to repro parts you have to deal with fit and quality of the part, and there are good and bad repro parts from all the dealers, but I have found the best quality when dealing with A&L, Bert's, Bratton's, and Snyder's.

If you are placing several small orders, then shipping charges play a big part also, and as I recall A&L and Bert's have always only charged me actual shipping costs.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
5window

Keep in mind that suppliers may all supply parts from the same source/ manufacturer. Mac's is a very large company, Bratton's and Snyder's have good reputations as well. There do not seem to be good, well known major sources in the Midwest, so you will need to check through this board for reputation-but also consider shipping/availability, customer service/returns, price and possibly a description of the quality and fit of the product if there is a choice (Bratton's does the best job of this in their catalog, in my opinion).

As a Right Coaster, I have mostly dealt with Bratton's and Mac's, plus I have a really good A restorer/shop nearby, so I try to buy from him locally-but he also buys his new stuff from suppliers (but he has lots of original stuff ,too).
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
v bogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
I have a really good A restorer/shop nearby, so I try to buy from him locally-but he also buys his new stuff from suppliers (but he has lots of original stuff ,too).
I stopped in to bill's Model A yesterday & WOW was I impressed with all his stock plus he is a real nice guy with good prices
v bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
chl

Just curious,who and where is the restorer near Lewisburg. I have had carriages restored at the Vicksburg Buggy shop but was unaware of a model A shop in that area.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #9
v bogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
Just curious,who and where is the restorer near Lewisburg. I have had carriages restored at the Vicksburg Buggy shop but was unaware of a model A shop in that area.
Bill's Model A Acres 3355 eighth Street Dr Watsontown Pa. (570)538-3200
v bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Ken Ehrenhofer

If you do not know who A&L is you are missing one of the best Model A Parts suppliers in the hobby. Al Lepore (passed away) made some of the best Model A Repro parts available and sold tot he dealers. His son is carrying on the tradition. When ever I can I support A&L because he supported us all of his life. He made the tire valve stems and hubcaps and all the little detail stuff.
A&L Parts 1-860-693-0112
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
wrndln

I would tend to stay away from Mac's. I had a couple not-go-good experiences with them in the pasts. I have heard they have new owners, but why risk it when there are many other excellent suppliers like Bratton, Bert's, and A&L. A&L has a limited inventory, but their items are usually high quality.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
jmeckel

I just downloaded a PDF of A&L's catalog, does anyone know if they have a WEB site? I can't find one.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

Of "all" those Model A vendors mentioned above, I have ordered from most of them & I will continue to try to order parts from most of them.

I figure if a self-employed U. S. citizen has enough intestinal fortitude to jump up & open, & try to run, or even take over a business in 2014, with all of the business obstacles thrown at him from our elected, warped minded official dictators, I will jump up & try my best to help him.

If any of us have any type of complaints, let us please kindly notify these gentlemen whether they have been in business 50 years or (2) weeks.

Any ambitious business person in his right mind who is brave enough to take over & run a business today welcomes what we as customers refer to as complaints; but to them, as struggling business people, complaints are beneficial "constructive criticisms".

None of these guys enjoy an (8) to (5) job to "stay" in business; & we can help them immensely by rendering constructive criticism "directly" to the business "owners".

No self-employed business owners & no clerks today are perfect; but these guys are fully aware that they need us as much as we need them.

Maybe just me, but I will continue to have profound respect for "all" of these brave Model A gentlemen & will try to help them when I need Model A parts.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-02-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

everyone has there specialties that others don't carry such as snyders ceramic coated exhaust manifolds. these things you learn over time but the main players have been mentioned. tams model A in MA is also great to deal with, joe is very knowledgable and usually answers the phone. his prices are usually cheaper for the same items from other places.
bills model A acres bought out renningers stock last year when they closed up.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Allanw

I think you'll find that each part needs to be investigated somewhat - there's unlikely to be a single supplier with all the best parts. They'll all have a range of quality, and some of them make it known which parts are OK, Good, or Excellent.

When I've ordered parts from the suppliers in the USA, I used Macs - none of the others I emailed ever replied!
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
Kevin in NJ

Here is the deal. And it can get confusing....

The venders often inter-sell parts. Please do not take this at 100%, but from what I have learned....

Brattons may have the brake parts made up and sell to Synders. Synders makes up the seat springs they sell at Brattons. The burnout proof condenser comes from A&L. I believe someone reported getting their rear motor mount rubbers from Synders and it is the one made by Bratton's (Brattons are spot on to original only with the Brattons logo on them). There are only a few wood places so all the retailers are buying from the same guys. Same for interior.

Now some parts are made by multiple places. Then you have to ask which parts are good to use.

So the best thing to do is first search this board and if you can not find a good answer then ask.

There are some parts only carried by one vender and then you have no choice. Like shock seal kits I believe Synder's and Bratton's have different kits.

I talked to Bratton's once about how they source the parts. They have a tough time finding shops that want to do the work and do it right. We are lucky to have several quality outfits making up new parts that can keep our cars running like factory.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #17
Flathead Dave

Try the "Early Ford Store" in San Dimas, Ca. I go there a lot. Decent prices on most of his stuff.

Phone: (909)305-1955
108 West Bonita Avenue
San Dimas, CA 91773
WWW.EARLYFORDSTORE.COM
Flathead Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

All of the suppliers posted have a good reputation. There are sometimes parts that have one best source that does not wholesale that part to the other dealers. These is no one answer. An example being Model A headlight reflectors. Bratton's has just come out with reflectors that apparently the best ones available. To my knowledge they have not sold these wholesale to the other suppliers.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
RonC

Brattons headlight reflectors are high quality
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
Ross/Kzoo

I have ordered from Bratton's just after lunch and had it at my doorstep in Michigan, 630 miles away, at 5 PM the next day. Great people to ask questions of and to deal with.

Bert's A&L, and Snyders are also great to deal with. Remember this will be a relationship over the years.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote