Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #21
chap52

Default Re: Downshifting problem

Practice, practice, practice. It's like playing golf, some days it's steak, other days it's Top Ramen. It is kinda mastered with time as sound, vibration and luck all play a part in that smooth double clutched downshift. The older I get, I can't hear, my hands are numb and all I have left is luck... The the blessing is my fading memory and in ten minutes it won't matter...
Enjoy the adventure. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #22
1928Mik

Yep, double clutching is the trick. I have it mastered but my son has yet to figure it out even though our whole family drives stick shift cars. Takes practice.....

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #23
Benson

Default Re: Downshifting problem-Going down a steep down hill can be very dangerous.

Sixty years ago this is something that we were taught BEFORE a driver's license was issued.

Unlike the standard practice today of giving a license TO ANYONE with little or NO instruction.

Was it a good idea to eliminate driver's education from school programs?

1. If you must use 1st or 2nd to go up a hill it is very important to remember to stop at the top of the hill and get the transmission into 1st or 2nd BEFORE going downhill.

2. Many Model As still have steel brake drums, many drums are worn thin and will overheat very quickly. They even overheated when new!

The result is fading brakes in a matter of a few seconds. Before you know it the brakes fade to the point that you have NO BRAKES.

At this point your only option is to downshift to a lower gear. But it is usually too late UNLESS you have practiced quickly down shifting a non-synchronized transmission and can do it quickly and can get it right on the first attempt.

This is not the time to fail to complete Downshifting- 101!

3. If your transmission jumps out of gear on flat land it will jump out MUCH quicker on a hill!

In that case it is best to fix it before going down a steep hill.

Last edited by Benson; 06-03-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:22 AM   #24
Jack Shaft
BANNED

My father could float shift a model a smooth as silk, only use the clutch to take off. When I asked him how he did it he said "Son, I've driven a model a ford more by accident then you have on purpose" He used to haul clams from Long Island to Campbell's soup in Camden NJ.. back then it was 8 hours by truck from New York to Boston..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #25
Mountain Dew

Double clutching, down shifting, spark control, hand signals and ahooga horn is what makes driving a Model A fun. Most muscle car guys just don't get it.
Mountain Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #26
Pete

You could always replace the stock transmission with a Lenco. You would only need the clutch to start out then.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote