Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #21
peters180a/170b

Default Re: 29 Murray Cowl Band

Nice picture Steve , the cowl band nicely sets the car off allot when plated. About the headlights ...there not bad.. and as you say much better driving with them at night.. I drove my car at night once and freaked out about other people not seeing me.. I had no problem seeing them. Enjoy your ride...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #22
Dick Carne

Hi Gary -

I have bought two of these in the past 3-4 years. Prices ranged from $150 for just the band, to $450 for a complete cowl section with a good usable band. As has been mentioned, complete (not broken) bands are difficult to find, and because of that, the seller can usually set his own price - but there are still a few around and if patient, can still be found.

As far as the removal process goes, this is a slow process and I have found it best to work in tandem with another person - one to slowly pry the band off the base (using a small screwdriver and/or plastic flat edge like has been mentioned), and another to keep upward pressure on the band as it is being removed from the cowl section.

I paid a local fellow $35 to remove the dents and polish out any imperfections, and then went to Southern Bumper in Forest Park GA for the plating. I believe they charged another $100 for the plating. If you should elect to remove the band from the car, I would suggest making a jig or some kind of fixed (e.g. plywood) base to attach the band to while you are transporting it to and from - much less expensive than repairs if it should get twisted in transit.

As far as reassembly, depending on the paint build-up, it should snap back into place with only slight persuasion (I used the palm of my hand for the most part, but certainly nothing heavier than a very light touch with a rubber mallet).

If you should take the time to remove and re-plate your band, I think you will be well satisfied with the results.

Best of luck to you whatever you should should decide to do.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Roadster62

I'd really like to see that the band snaps onto. Knowing what is under the band will help others remove theirs.