Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
DBSHELTON

Default Lightened Flywheel

I am going to up the compression and use 2 updraft carbs on my Model A. Also thinking about a lightened flywheel and V8 Ford clutch. Any thoughts on the flywheel? How light is good? Who does this well?
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Lightened Flywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSHELTON View Post
I am going to up the compression and use 2 updraft carbs on my Model A. Also thinking about a lightened flywheel and V8 Ford clutch. Any thoughts on the flywheel? How light is good? Who does this well?
Well, I have run a 23# flywheel in my speedster. I also started a thread several years ago that I think you should at least read.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89197

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
DBSHELTON

Thanks, not sure how I missed that thread when I searched. Sounds like it ain't worth screwing with.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
denis4x4

Brent....read the post as well as the responses. Unfortunately, A owners looking for better performance can’t see the forest for the trees. First off, the cost of creating 60 HP at the rear wheels on a dyno will cost about the same price as buying three SBC crate engines!!! Unless the owner is committed to going with the whole box of wax that includes a counterweight crank, inserts, cam, high compression head, ignition, headers, state of the art carburetors, etc., a lightened flywheel and V8 clutch is a waste of money. Opp’s forgot to include a $4500 OHV head!
Old 05-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
MAG

I wouldn't do it unless I was adding weights to crankshaft to balance it.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
CWPASADENA

I have a lightened flywheel in my Tudor that I use for touring. It is a "B" engine with a 6.0:1 head. I really like the lightened flywheel, I think it makes the car easier to drive and is more responsive when accelerating from a stop.

It still idles consistently at about 350 RPM with the spark retarded and I have even had it idle down to 290 and was still smooth.

With a lightened flywheel, you do not have as much weight hanging on the rear main which I think is a good thing.

Personally, I would lighten the flywheel on any engine I would build for my own Model A.

Again, there is a lot of opinion on this subject and this is just mine.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #7
DBSHELTON

Thanks. I am going to use a Lion Speed 7:1 head, a Vortex dual carb intake with 2-tillotson carbs, B distributor, and Thrush glasspack muffler with 2" tailpipe (mostly for sound). That will probably be the extent of my modifications. I would believe this will give me a decent boost in power.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
Russ/40

I think the most obvious benefit of flywheel lightning is improved drivability in town traffic.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Flywheel mass is important for driveability.shaving 10lbs or using a B flywheel is a nice return without sacrificing the benefits of kinetic energy.A modified flathead engine with high lift b grind cam, high compression head,carburetor that flows at 160 cfm and free flowing exhaust or a header will yield pleasant results without breaking the bank
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
w.michael

I drove Model A's for 40+ years with stock engines and flywheels. Then Daddy had an engine rebuilt for his (now my) coupe with a lightened flywheel and V-8 clutch. I've driven that for 10+ years now. I cannot tell any difference in performance. The clutch is easier to operate, which is an advantage and is good for aging knees. But with the lightened flywheel I am much more likely to stall the engine when starting off from a stop. And so I would respectfully disagree with Russ/40. For me, the lightened flywheel makes town driving more difficult--I'm more likely to stall the engine at every stoplight if I don't rev up the engine and slip the clutch. Also, the lightened flywheel changes the rhythm of shifting and double-clutching. Not better or worse, just different. Every time I change from driving my stock engine to Daddy's lightened flywheel, I have to remind myself to get into the rhythm and flow of that particular car.

Nothing wrong with a lightened flywheel; but I just don't find any real advantage, either.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic, or machinist, or engineer, or physicist. I can't contribute to the technical analysis. Just my experience as a driver.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #11
The Master Cylinder

Lots of different opinions. I find just the opposite as some. I think the heavier flywheel actually makes it easier to drive in traffic and around town. I guess if you like to rev the snot out of your engine it may be different.

Also I think everyone is not comparing the same, there are a lot of lightened flywheels around but they have not all been lightened the same amount. Even Bill Snipe offers three different weight flywheels.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #12
TerryH

I had a lightened flywheel and V-8 clutch installed about 14 years ago, along with the 5.5 head. Someone mentioned to me not to do it....it would ruin the Model A, it wouldn’t idle, it wouldn’t pull, it would stall, you would have to rev it up to start. Well, after all these years I can honestly say none of that occurred. My A idles down very nicely, and in contrast to what others said, I have no problems pulling away from a stop without slipping the clutch. Maybe the biggest difference is the clutch.....much, much lighter than a stock one. I drove another A recently with a stock clutch and could not believe how much more pedal pressure was needed. Just like my Mitchell OD that many say I don’t really need, I would do it again.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
Russ/40

I have to admit, a bit of the "drivability" I refer to above, is due to the 39 transmission I am running. I only removed enough material from my flywheel to remove the upper ridge and make it flat to accommodate the v8 clutch. Never weighed it, so not sure how much was removed.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #14
abachman3

My roadster that I purchased last spring has a 6.0 head, lightened flywheel, inserts and counter balanced flywheel. Yes, the roadster is lighter than my tudor, which has a 5.5 head, no other mods, but the roadster is a whole lot more peppy and fun to drive.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #15
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Its why a fat bird is on the radiator cap..fat till you see a bevy of quail flush,you'll never thing of them the same way again.Its one of the few engines where you can basically bolt on double the power and not sacrifice longevity..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote